Can India save the world?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kmguru, Mar 22, 2008.

1. John99 Banned Banned

I am sorry Nirakar but i dont agree with anyone living in servitude. I would cut my ********* off before i had even one servant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Even if the servant needed the job in order to feed their family?
    Do you ever go to restaurants? Aren't the cook and waitress your servant for a little while?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

India has laws against child labor but they are enforced about as well as the USA enforces it's laws against employing illegal immigrants.

By servant, I mean somebody you hire full time to do domestic work for your family. If you don't have a washing machine because you can't afford a washing machine, then having a poorer person who you can pay to wash your clothes comes in handy. It is sad that people are so poor that they have to work for less than a washing machine costs, but that is the way it is.

8. John99 Banned Banned

Illegal immigrants are paid and live with dignity, thats why they come here.

If thats the way it is then i want no part of it. i would rather be poor and with them.

9. kmguru Staff Member

These days, the way civilization works is:

1. People walk barefoot, build houses using bamboo or sticks and mud, grow basic food by hand or using animals etc - the barefoot civilization

2. Bicycle civilization: Both China and India in 60s 70s....for USA 30s 40s perhaps earlier.Life was hard but good, not much medical care though

3. Motorcycle civilization: this is a small time frame as the groups move from Bicycle to 4-wheels. Tractors are introduced for agriculture. A key time frame for rapid industrialization. For China it was early to mid 80s. During this time, the Chinese has engineers providing directions and hence you would not see people riding on the top of trains and buses. China exchanges know-how among each other from North to South. India did not.

4. The Car civilization: Personal transportation as the driver for growth. Lots of industries including polluting ones (USA - 60s, 70s, 80s), China 80s, India 90s, 00s. The society becomes more complex, supply chain logistics issues, infrastructure issues and every kind of issues that a cooperative group like China solved better than a North-South animosity in India.

5. Information Age: No need to go to work at some building...do your stuff locally so consume less. No need to buy TV dinners or massive amount of clothes and shoes. No need to have a square mile Mall. No need to have a car for each family member. Less use of Oil, Plastics and other 500 products...We are not there yet because the horse and buggy establishment is fighting back. Perhaps Europe will lead the way here.

6. Death of a civilization: Outsource everything and hence the social foundation crumbles. To support the life style, go fight wars to take loot home, except there would not be much left to loot. Smart ones move to greener pastures...The locals survive similar to the great civilizations of yesterday Greece, Italy and Agentina...except with larger populations and gangs roving the streets....Italy has been taken over by gangs called Mafia that controls the country today.

Just some ramblings....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

It's a good ramble. Defining levels of society by how they get to work, works for me.

India and China moving into the car phase is sending commodity prices spiraling upwards. Stopping global warming by reducing carbon output is just not going to happen.

11. kmguru Staff Member

The word "servant" has been changed in U.S. as "dometic help" or Au Pair or "companion". So when you grow old and hire someone to take care of you, please do not cut off your Ts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One of my Aunt is a certified nurse who works as a Companion (that is what is called rather than Nurse) for very old and fragile people at their home.

12. kmguru Staff Member

It can help, if India and China can quickly move from Car phase to the Information Age. Here India can do much better than China because China is afraid of Information for the masses. But to get there, India needs to build the right infrastructure and new subdivisions conducive for the Information Age. Already they are building these in Mumbai and Pune corridor. There is no reason to copy the same mistakes of the west.

13. kmguru Staff Member

You know, someone should take my ramble and expand to an essay...since we have most of the historical data...that would be very interesting to see how a civilization evolves perhaps even in a distant planet....and where do we go from here.....

14. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Your ramble could be the start of a good essay. I think outsourcing creates the next great depression but I think the world bounces out of that after 5 years and resumes the information age. No end to civilization.

But what age comes after the information age if it is not the end of civilization? Do we insert electrodes into our brains so that we can more easily interface with our computers and robots?

Sam or somebody, please correct my statements on India if I am wrong. I have only spent a few months in India since the 1980s. I was in India for a year in the 1980s but I was never really integrated into the culture. India made an impression on me but I don't claim to really know India.

Pune is the only Indian city that I really know. Pune was transitioning from bicycle to scooter during the 1980s. Last year when I went to Pune the city had changed so much and is starting to transition from motor scooters to cars. Riding a bicycle in Pune now would be stressful.

15. John99 Banned Banned

I wouldnt laugh too hard about the servitude comment.

16. kmguru Staff Member

I just got an eamil that states:

But blaming China is not the solution. The civilization must learn and move on...if we are smart, we all should grow without exploiting the other.

As to what comes after the Information age, even Alvin Toffler did not have anything to say while he predicted the Information Age.

For near term, I like a vision where, you can live anywhere in the world with a basic Maslow's needs and enjoy access to all the audio-visual entertainment one can afford the time.

In far future, we may have pure virual reality netwroked such that you can live in Madagascar and work in New York everyday interacting with real people in the virtual world. You still need people to build basic infrastruture...

17. John99 Banned Banned

And exactly how do you see that happening?

18. kmguru Staff Member

Long ago, I was a Plant Engineer where we had two massive Chlorine Compressors. The operators were told to make sure the flow rate does not fall below a critical level, otherwise, the compressor will surge and it would damage the Compressor. This was before the fancy surge control system I developed. Now, things went well for a year and then there were some process problems. Sure enough someone screwed up and then this machine went to suge and got $300,000 worth damage not to mention slowdown in production for a week.

We are facing similar instability problems...hopefully it will not last long....

19. kmguru Staff Member

Through tacit knowledge transfer....

20. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Tata is buying Land Rover and Jaguar from Ford.

My friend likes her Tata Indigo better than American cars she has owned.

Tata intends to sell a new car the Tata Nano for US $2,500 per car.

Watch out Japan, Tata might start taking some global market share in auto's soon.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Tata is a good company. Unfortunately, Ratan still lives in the age of chivalry and does business honestly. So of course, he's treated like crap. Mittal is smarter and is the man to watch out for.

On India and the world economy:

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/India-Brazil-talk-trade-ties-global-economic-slump/288778/

Good to see we're still doing some things right.

22. John99 Banned Banned

No one in their right mind will by a car called Tata. That is their first mistake, but i'm sure they will be selling cars real cheap.

"i have a Jag"

"i have a Mustang"

"i have a TaTa"

:bugeye:

23. John99 Banned Banned

o0h yeah, that and..............................................................................................