Can bs be a bannable offense?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by science man, Jul 23, 2011.

1. I was talking to a mod about this and they encouraged me to do this, so here it goes. Can posting bullshit be a bannable offense? Bullshit such as, weak insults of a members ideas, posts that relate to the topic but in bullshit way aka what some people would probably consider to be lame answers? I'm not asking for it to be a permanent ban reason but just some sort of ban. (perhaps a month ban)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

One persons bull shit is another persons treasure . We all pick up bits of info by this being the " INFOR ma Shun age . If a person fails to understand a concept could that be construed as a bull shit post by the ability of denial.

I will ask the question :
    Do you believe in inclusiveness , or selective winners and losers.

People see the world in many different ways . Should one be discounted more than another . This site is also a social site. That door was opened by the programs ability to create social groups . Now you have opened the door to mental shells of inclusions to these social groups . The dynamics of many personalities coming together in likeness yet still holding on to there conditioned stereo types. How do you put the cat back in the bag ? I guess you could if the owners see it your way . Ultimately they are the arbitrators

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. I agree that disagreements shouldn't be considered bullshit, but what I'm talking about be can be easily pointed out as plain bullshit. You say people see the world many different ways. To that I say that the people who see it was a play toy should be banned on here.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

This is a science forum, and I think the mods at least attempt to keep things based on known science. I don't think a person would be banned strictly for posting bs, unless it was spamming, or they were ignoring mod warnings, or just hurling insults at those that disagree. (which is the case a lot of times with BS posters)

8. Gustav Banned Banned

i call bullshit
    vague, nebulous, ill defined terms and descriptors

do the ban
    thanks

science man
    there are a lot of forums that are heavily moderated
    this one however is not one of them

please consider fucking off to greener pastures

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

That is pretty strong language . How do you know what is a play toy in the minds eye ? Many different forms of debate come from many different Nations around globe . Is this a debate forum also ? Intelligent Debate forum? Have we even figured out by debate what intelligence is. Some good reading and it is open for your response is the Intelligence threads on the forum. There many subjective conclusions by many different Nationalities . Even the most off posts I find interesting because it gives Me insights into other cultures. To understand each other is in my opinion a first step in coming to conclusion. Do I should I leave out snidely whiplashes that may alter perception and knock Me out of my narrow minded comfort zone . Not I . I treasure the experience.

Thats just Me though . I can't speak for the rest of the group

10. esbo Registered Senior Member

Seconded - post of the month!!!

If he does not like what is posted on the internet he can always ask his ISP
    to disconnect him. Thereby effectively banning all posters he does not like - works every time.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In the case of one-off bullshit, probably not. That kind of thing can be put down to simple stupidity.

In the case of endlessly repeated bullshit, maybe. That amounts to trolling.

Where bullshit is carefully corrected by another poster, with full explanation and supporting evidence, and the bullshitter then proceeds to repeat said bullshit (e.g. in a new thread), that is prima facie evidence of intent to troll, and is very likely to lead to a ban.

Ban lengths are not arbitrary, but depend on the total number of active infraction points a member has.

12. esbo Registered Senior Member

Of course when he says bullshit he means someone who dissagrees with him.

SO yea he wants to ban all people who disagree with him, so it would be better if he banned himself.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If a poster has ever gone by the pseudonym of Dave Mabus, then the answer most definitely is Yes. Bullshit is bannable.... Actually in this particular case it's a bit more than just the general content, it's the re-emergence as a sockpuppet to spam various blogs or websites entire written by him on his pet fruity subjects, which incidentally goes beyond any form of speculative views on science and just falls on complete delusional fabrication.

Mabus get's banned for three or four offenses (not just one) from Trolling, Spamming, Writing Bull and not listening to the Site Moderation which has asked him time and time again to cease operating like that.

So I would suggest other posters wouldn't necessarily be banned just from writing bull, they would require not listening to warnings or advice offered by moderators, repetitively spam and/or post as other accounts as apart of their agenda.