Caffeine Addiction

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I think Coffee is good for you , Yeah It has many benefits. If you are asthmatic it helps you to breath and if you are a slow starter it gives you the go to go and there is something about a study that said it makes you smarter . There has been an off and on again debate based in scientific study whether coffee is bad or good for many years now . Personally I can see no ill effects in my self from drinking it, but then again It don't give Me headaches like I hear it does for a lot of people . Now I know people that say onions give you headaches too. Crazy thought to me .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Not sure about it as a matter of conscience, but I've long avoided getting addicted to caffeine (by not drinking anything stronger than soda, and then only in the afternoon) for reasons of simple practicality. I.e., most of the people I know of my parents' generation are strongly addicted to caffeine - to the point where ingesting it doesn't do anything for them except to cancel out the withdrawl effects. They have to go to all this trouble maintaining an addiction, just to remain exactly as functional and perky as they'd be if they'd avoided caffeine from the outset. So all it really adds up to is a liability - it's this substance that you have to have, all the time and everywhere, just to function normally. This causes certain hilarities when they come on wilderness rafting trips and don't realize that nobody brought coffee until they wake up on the first morning, with no prospect of any caffeine for days. I've seen 50-something adults with advanced degrees and successfully-raised children reduced to inanities like boiling combinations of leaves and gatorade in search of a substitute - pathetic.

I already see this happening to friends in my generation, who require a constant stream of coffee all day just to avoid the headaches they get from their last dose of caffeine wearing off. What's the point?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Well, they should have either made a checklist, or have a box of camping supplies with a vacuum-sealed jar of instant coffee powder in it...

Or have a bottle of caffeine pills in their backpack. Caffeine pills...mmmm.

There's only one plant native to North America that has caffeine in it I know of (yaupon), so they're kinda up a certain creek without a paddle there.

Until I started this current program of chugging white tea for the anti-inflammatory bennies, I usually did a caffeine withdraw day, once weekly, so that I could buzz along the rest of the week.
    That was also my catch up on missed sleep day...I still do that, well, once a week, then back to sleep-deprivation...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.