Burkas

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Well if you're a Muslim, you are wearing some sort of head and face covering, otherwise your statements in the burqa thread might come across as hypocritical ones.

Good. That means I don't have to see the spare tire and cottage cheese on their pear shaped bodies, because the burqa covers it! That's much better than some fat, greasy bloated bitch wearing spandex and a tank top (and yes, it's a fairly common sight in the U.S. *shivers uncomfortably*)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Have burkas always been around? Veils seem to have been. And lots of churches have women covering their heads, whether with a hat or a lace hankerchief.

If the burka showed the face (just the veil and cloak), would that make it more palateable to non-wearers?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Arabs borrowed the veil from the Byzantines. The burka is relatively recent from Abdul Wahab's (about a 100 years?) return to Salafism in Saudi Arabia. The full face cover probably originated in Afghanistan, with one of the rulers who decided to conceal his wife's face from other people, but I'm not sure of the timepoint. It was not worn much before the Taliban came to power, at least in the cities.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

As far as ownership goes, what do you think the father giving away the bride, and the bride taking the man's last name at American/Christian weddings symbolize?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why? I am all for choice; you wanna wear it, wear it. Modesty is a personal construct, anyway.

I'm Indian, my culture has no obligatory head covering etc in Muslims, so I don't wear it. When I worked in the ME, I covered my hair but not my face, since its not required for non-Saudis (except in some backward places)
    The abaya also does wonders for the hair and skin. Most Arab women have skins like babies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, I don't even wanna go there. I get insane everytime I have to sign the 'spouse' line on my taxes. I could make more than him, but he would still be the Taxpayer, and I'm 'spouse'

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Good to know.

Shampoo/conditioner, soap and Jergens do wonders for the hair and skin too. And guess what, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc. women have baby soft skin too; I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe it's because...women are supposed to have soft skin(unless they spend too much time at the tanning bed). Maybe that's just me.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Then file as Head of Household. What's stopping you from doing that?

12. John99 Banned Banned

You can file seperately, and i dont see why spouse would mean female.

As for your other comment about marriage, do you feel owned? does your husband tell you what to wear or not go on the internet?

13. Willy Banned Banned

I could'nt get my wife to wear a burka,

but the dog does'nt mind:

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That looks more like a KKK hood to me.

Stupid racist dogs!!

You can't throw any type of blanket over my Boxer for more than about a second before she's darting her way out from under it.

15. Willy Banned Banned

Well he is a German shepard
    It must be an American boxer.

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

I've never been married (thank the gods) so I don't know how anything but the 1040EZ - but couldn't you just put yourself as head of household, since the income is combined anyway?

So does moisturizing spray and sun.
    I imagine I'd want some sort of skin covering if I was in a desert, but then I'd also want one of those suits from "Dune."

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, a German shepard, not a Nazi shepard. :roflmao:

Actually she is. She's got a little bit longer snout and is a bit on the small side (55 lbs.).
    But I've read that the speed at which the dog tries to get him/herself out from under a blanket is related to how smart they are!

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

See post #107.

Way to pay attention there, toots. Welcome to today.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

We get a larger refund filing jointly, and according to the IRS 'spouse' always means the woman.

Do I feel owned?? No, if anything my husband should.
    I know my Mother was and I never wanted the marriage she had. I remember sitting in church and the sermon was about wives being submissive to their husbands. I looked at her and she sat there nodding her head.

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Why should he feel owned?

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He's the one who gets an allowance and has to account for money spent. I'm a saver and he's a pathological spender.

He asks if he can go fishing or out with the guys. I tell him I'm going out. This is because he can't remember anything and makes plans with the guys on his daughter's birthday. He's not asking for permission, he's just asking if he can.

He is in charge of his dept at work and has to make all the decisions and deal with the fall out from that. At home, I do it. If I let him make the decisions, our daughter would be in a burka.

And he's happier for it too!

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I take it you wont be joining the 'surrendered wife' movement???

http://www.surrenderedwife.com/

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, I won't. But I know lots of very stressed women out there who would love it. It is a nice thought to have no worries and have someone take care of things.

Its what my husband has. No worries.