Brilliant war strategy.

Discussion in 'History' started by sargentlard, Jan 28, 2004.

1. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spyke Registered Senior Member

The Gadsden Purchase was only about 45,000 square miles of territory, and came after the Mexican-American war. Pierce only wanted it as a possible route for the transcontinental railroad. I think Pollux was talking about the Mexican territory that is present-day New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California.

Nah, at the time, Manifest Destiny didn't call for acquiring new land that was already heavy populated. While a few southern Democrats wanted it to expand cotton lands, and slavery, most other Americans wanted nothing to do with it.

Pershing came about 70 years too late to be involved in that war. He was simply chasing Pancho Villa around the Southwest in 1916.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Well, I have a bias toward this war, but one of my favorite stories of valor in battle comes from the War of Northern Agression, and surprisingly, it's a Yankee that I am in awe of. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, a teacher by trade, a soldier by conscience. The man exhibited sublime leadership skills in battle in the face of terrifying adversity, and exhibited grace and humility in victory. A true citizen soldier to the end. His strategy is nothing of great innovation, but the execution was superb, and clearly his role in the battle at Gettysburg is a key to the North checking the South's momentum.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah! Blackjack was Pershing... not Zachary Taylor... :bugeye:

As for all that land... I think I remember the treaty now... but that wasn't half either... was it?

8. Spyke Registered Senior Member

9. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Find a small tribe, teach it some form of worship, provide the places & rules for worship then have your way with anything you want - it works & you dont have to risk your men's lives in a fight. THis may not seem as strategy to some but what is it if not a way to infiltrate an otherwise hostile, unknown enemy.

10. HallsofIvy Registered Senior Member

Actually Homer did NOT make up the "Trojan Horse"- in fact he doesn't even mention it! The "Trojan Horse" first appears in the Aeneid by Virgil, long after Homer.

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Is that so? It's been so long since I read the Illiad... I'll have to check myself.

12. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Ah, the famous charge that defeated the Confederates at Gettysburg. That truly is an inspiring story.

AmishRakeFight

13. Ayesh Registered Member

i'm going to have to say eygpts performance durring the opening of the ramadan war.
    Gen Shazely estimated over 10,000 casulties of the suez, he maintained only a few hundred. secondly, the immediate repulsion counter attack from Gen. Bar-lev, the use of saggers and the SAM sheild.

14. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Shooting all the bison herds on the American Plains--no bison, no Indian resistance, or at least, much less able to resist without a food supply.

15. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Actually, it occurred to me that if the Chinese wanted to conquer Russia, they could send troops up to their mutual border, and drag Russian troops into a border war. Then send 100,000,000 troops across the northern regions of Kazarkstan, around the south of the Urals, and sweep up north to capture the whole of Siberia, closing all the Ural passes. After that, Russia's in deep shite--no oil, gas, or much less than they've become used to.

16. Dravyga ... Registered Senior Member

Mongols use of massive mobile troops and their horses made them the largest empire in history.

17. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

The Blitz. One of the best, most effective, and simple plans.
    Strike and keep striking 'till there's nothing left to strike.

Also, the mongol's "annihilate EVERYTHING in our way that doesn't surrender." Always an excellent short-range battle plan.

18. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Best tactic?
    bomb the hell out of the country. go for Civilian resources, goverment symbols and offices and millitary bases. Once youve made the country barren, roll through whats left with heavy armor and choppers. Then once reisistance is eradicated bring in the foot soliders. Then do a house to house sweep and tell them this. "Swear allegiance to the XXX (country there) or die" if they say no shoot the in the head if they say yes let them live but make sure to put a barcode on em.

19. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

I'll give you a situation in WWII and outline some key fundamental aspects of it to give you an example of the perfect modern combat tactic

When german troops were crossing the border from Belgium into France during WWII, Nazi commanders decided that they didn't want to get into a boxing match with Allied forces. A quick victory was what they wanted. The Allied commanders assesd the front such that the lower eastern part at Arlon forrest was inaccessible to Mechanized and Armoured forces, subsequently they decided not to place a large contingent of troops there.
    The German forces launched an offensive on the northern part of the front, in order to draw forces away, while a large German armoured and mechanized force raced through the Arlon forrest (using highways). They broke the Allied lines and quickly turned north west from the supposed objective of Paris and encircled the allied forces in a pocket from Calias to Dunkerque. As a result majority of the Allied forces had to retreat across the channel back to England leaving France to Hitler and his military machine.

1. Surprise - Don't let anyone know what your going to do
    2. Displacement - Break the enemies lines and you leave a disorganised mess to be mopped up by rear forces
    3. Tempo - Increasing the decision cycle which increases the speed of the war. If you make more decisions than your enemy can keep up with then they're reaction to whatever situation is going to be very limited
    4. Deception - Make the enemy believe your going to do something when your not
    5. Economy of Effort - Employ the use of force needed to get the job done in the right area
    6. Manuoevre Principle - Attack the enemies weak points with your strong points. For example there's a Tank Brigade out there, why send out your firepower when a a clear vulnerability of the Tank is Supplies (including fuel). Attack the supply lines and you turn a tank brigade into a bunch of rotating turrets stuck in one position
    7. Moral - Attack the enemies moral and they lose the will to fight

These principles can be used in any situation during war and if used correctly can achieve a quick victory with minimal loss of friendly Assets and Men