Brilliant war strategy.

Discussion in 'History' started by sargentlard, Jan 28, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

What is in your opinion a great war strategy employed by a country in a war. Tell us about a great strategic war plan carried out in battle and how it helped that side win the battle even if they didn't win the war. Any country, any war.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

of course the Blitzkrieg
    if can move your units faster than your enemy - you have a real big advantage

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The war of troy and greece.
    and the infamous Trojan hoarse

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

My personal fav. is quite simply the Soviet method, so much crap you simply cannot beat em.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It would be nice if you expanded upon them.

The war of troy and greece.
    and the infamous Trojan hoarse

A stupid question for which I never found an answer...was this true?..actually happened?

9. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

they´ve never found the horse ( but they found troy )

10. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

legend has it that horse was made of wood. Being that the city of troy was made of stone and its falling appart I dont think there is any chance of finding a wood horse that is that old.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

I think the best strategy to win wars is to control the water and the air more then the ground. For instance the naval blockade of Germany almost destroyed the country (WWI), and then you had the height of the wolf packs in 1942 where the British were really losing the Atlantic fast. I think the nuclear attacks on Japan could have been thwarted by a naval blockade of Japan. But which one is more ethical? Starving ppl into submission or burning them into a crisp? The US has shown time and again that air dominance is the key to winning a modern war. There is no nation of earth that comes close to American air dominance, only Russia could ever really mount a defense/offence close to that of the United States. Look at Kosovo for instance, and Iraq, much was done with aircraft. Now I understand that these forms of military tactics are not the “be all end all”, but they are vital for any military victory. Boots in the mud or by the current tinge of things, in the sand are the confirmation of that victory. A navy or air force does not hold the ground. To me what will be very interesting will be an almost it seems inevitable war with North Korea and the United States. The US will possibly win, but I know that NK will inflict so much damage that it could determine the course of military history for a while to come.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

The war of troy supposable happened as the ruins of the city were found. If Homer made up the tactic of the Trojan Hoarse or not is unproven, no remains of a giant wooden hoarse have been found, nor should they as the wood would have rotted away.

13. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

With modern technology you could theoretically defeat a country without firing a shot:

1.) Television and radio messages: In recent times, the US feeds propaganda messages to the televisions of enemy citizens: "Surrender now" "We are the US military and we will save you and you family if you...". This sort of pyschological war breaks the will of the people. Countries with the right technology can actually control all media.

2.) Computer virus: With the right virus, a country could be shutdown completely: all computer systems can be scrambled and all power can be lost.

3.) Mind control: Tests show that with small amounts of EM stimulation, the brain is open to near subliminal suggestions from a nearby observer. This works on individual test subjects, but could be perfected on a massive scale.

The funny part is that if the first two occur, the chaos could be controlled by mind control. I look foward to these Orwellian weapons, they will certainly be amusing

14. Undecided Banned Banned

I know that the US tried these Electronic messages in Iraq, and even in Afghanistan. They haven't proved to be extremely effective as of yet, the whole premise of these things to work is to have a population that is actually willing to conform to x nations demands. I think these technologies have a lot further to go before they become very effective.

As for Computer Virus' I couldn't agree with you more, and consider that North Korea is estimated to have a hacker team.

15. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

hehe I kind of like the strategy the Russians used against Napoleon and Hitler. My basic impression of both wars is like this
    Russians "Oh no were being invaded run away"
    Invaders "Fear my supperior strategy that streaches my supply lines thin"
    Russians "Well looks like winters coming, you think they like guerrilla warfare?"

16. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Let's drop da bomb and look at the beautiful mushroom clouds. No one can beat that.

17. MShark Registered Senior Member

I would say the best American victory came in the Kosovo war. Our Great leader William Clinton created a plan to defeat Miloshovec with a minnimum of casualties. In the face of all of the military pundants who said that a war could not be fought strictly from the air his plan did not use any ground troops; the enemy was defeated and there wer no battle related casualties on the American side. Casualities on the Serbian side were limited and even damage to the infastructure of serbia was limited.

18. Undecided Banned Banned

Kosovo was an important military victory because it was the first war in history that was fought totally from the air, and won from the air.

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

"2.) Computer virus: With the right virus, a country could be shutdown completely: all computer systems can be scrambled and all power can be lost."

True, but this would have a greater effect on some nations more than others. I bet computer Virus' scare the Afghanis shitless.

The Mexican-American war must have had some interesting strategy to it. We totally kicked their asses. I don't know why we didn't take all of Mexico, instead of just half of it. Crazy bastards.

20. Eluminate Registered Senior Member

tanking all of mexico woulda created severe problems.
    But taking half the less populated half was much easier
    also incorporating it was easier.

Although I dont know if Us took all of mexico most of them
    might have been expulted to central america after cultural
    clashes ensued woulda been probably reduced to native
    american status and treated accordingly

21. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Hannibal during his Italian campaign. Tricking far superior Roman forces to play his game, luring legions that outnumbered him 2-1 on the battlefield into situations where he had the advantage by using skirmishers to lead the legions across rivers then fall on them, and other times letting his infantry become surrounded by the legions then having his calvary surround them in turn and counterattacking with the infantry. He destroyed 60,000 of a Roman army of 70,000 men in one major battle, and destroyed several legions over the course of his campaign.

And kudos to Fabius Maximus in turn for realizing that the key to defeating Hannibal was to keep his legions in tact and run Hannibal all around the lower Italian peninsula while staying between the Carthagenean army and Rome, and when it looked like they were going to engage making sure you got the good piece of ground, all the while buring the countryside, starving the Carthageneans. Proving that the legions could stay in tact kept the majority of those Italian cities from siding with Hannibal.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

What about Hannibal's elephants?

23. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Zhuge Liang's wooden oxen. Pang Tong's plot at Chi Bi. Zhang Liao's defense of He Fei castle. Zhang Liao (?)'s assault on Jingzhuo. Liu Bei's plot at Yiling. Zhuge Liang's campaign into Nanman territory.

Just a few...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004