Brainwave entrainment theory and meditation

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by oscar, Jun 10, 2004.

1. oscar confusoid Registered Senior Member

http://brain.web-us.com/binaural.htm

Pretty good stuff I'd say. How close do meditation and yoga combined take you up to a state similar to the ones induced by BET? I'd like to hear your comments on this

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Ones far superior I'd say.

BTW, have you ever tried BET technology or meditation?

I've tried both so I speak from personal experience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

-oscar-
    have u tried it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

-exo-
    what are the effects?

8. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Oh and meditation is completely free (unless your a transcendentalist or scientologist!), and requires nothing that you weren't born with, even less than that.

9. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

grey, it is quite relaxing. And can help get you into different states of conciousness, dream states and such. But I find wearing headphones or having the stereo on more trouble than it's worth as the same effects can be acheived with "normal" meditation.

10. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

what are your techniques or reven better what are the more efficient techniques?

11. oscar confusoid Registered Senior Member

sorry, I wasn't around a PC for a while there

I've tried the very basic savasana meditation for about 15 minutes at a time and at most it feels as if I had been praying for an hour or so. I used to be Catholic but I've converted myself more into Eastern Spirituality so that explains the praying part, but of course that's a page from a different book now.

Meditation at least from my brief experience is pretty interesting, and at least on my account it has been very counter-intuituve since in prayer you feel as if talking to someone, which helps you express yourself fully and at some point you arrive at a point of silence where you don't need to express any word or though anymore. In meditation, you are to give into the moment and it permeates your awareness as you slowly become one with the whole.

It's evident what the scientifical and psychological benefits of both prayer and meditation are, but for a while I've had some interest in BET. I'm not lying when I say I've had that link in my browser for 3 years now but I have not taken any initiative whatsoever to really get into it yet. If anything, I bought a cheesy tape once from some lady, and the tape was on "increase your studying capacity thanks to subliminal techonology! " and shit, but I could not even listen to the tape because the music was soooo terrible and there were like a million voices in the background...really, 10 minutes of listening to that tape drove me crazy! So I kinda dropped it at that point, but I'm interested in the whole thing back again so I'll be getting a couple of BET tapes anytime soon

I'd like to hear more of your experiences :m:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  12. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Grey, thats a realy hard question to answere. I guess different techniques work differently for different people. Not everyone has the same experiences with the same meditation,

also it depends on what you want to acheive with your practice and in that case how you define 'meditation'.

To me meditation is the state of complete mental silence, where the inner dialogue is totaly shut down.

Personaly I like koan meditation because it can get me to that state (happens rarely).

But there are many other pracrices for example there is the concentration on the breath, but that is more of a concentration excercise in my view.

13. TimeBandit Registered Member

I've been using BET for years. I used to use the Monroe "hemi-sync" programs http://www.hemi-sync.com, and found them very effective. The problem for me though, is that their tapes are so monotonous, and they claim the effects won't set in for months or years!

Earlier this year, I found a site that pushes this tech in some interesting directions http://www.lucidquest.com They make use of a variety of audio entrainment methods, and I think they have some of the best stuff being developed. Check it out, I believe they have a bunch of free .mp3 downloads to test out. I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Ever try a few snifters of good brandy, that will get you in a great frame of mind also!