Bottom of Car Rusted

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what a stupid idea, why dont they just require people to carry chains like they do here?
    i would sue the states or councils which salted by car

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Erm, take it to the fuck you gave the money too and take it back, why are you buying such junk this aint scrapheap challenge fam.

peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Because it works VERY well and isn't even needed/done often anyway Besides, it works MUCH better than chains and doesn't eat up your tires and destroy the roadway like chains do.

And only the lazy and stupid let it ruin their cars - it costs no more than 5 bucks to get it washed off. All decent folks wash their cars often enough, anyway. I lived in the snowbelt for quite a while and never let it hurt my car at all.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

That'll be difficult.

He bought it from some bloke whose name wasn't on the documents, and then had to forge signatures etc. to get it registered. I doubt he's got much chance of taking it back.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Read only, actually right now its an offence to wash your car in SA so my car hasnt been washed in at least a year

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure, I can understand water shortages - we have them here from time to time. But they usually DON'T occur when it's snowing and they're salting the roads.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Just find a shallow freshwater ford to drive it through, of course don't drive too deep... it's not a boat

Alternative would be to have a "water fountain" that people pay money to drive though.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

styder, a) i drive a corrola (not really the sort of car you can drive though any water)
    b) there IS no water (hense the water restrictions

)

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I would say "Waste beer on cleaning it" but I'm sure the stereotypical Australian would rather drink the beer and drive round in a dirty car. (Not after drinking of course)

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Maybe it's better to just sell this car to some sucker, and buy another one.

14. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Da, Gospodin !

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

That's easy. Get some spray-on chrome, and some duct tape and some body putty. Tape the brake lines in place, if necessary wrap the entire line in duct tape. It should hold fluid for a few days anyway. Put the body putty into the dent in your oil pan, try to get it smooth-looking. If you can't get the plug out, no worry. Add vegetable oil to top it off. Tape the tie rods up with duct tape. Now, the tricky part. Take some motor oil and some flour and a couple of cans of axle grease. Mix about a gallon of motor oil and a 5 lb bag of flour and the axle grease together. It should be a thick, gooey, brown mess. If you want it darker, Kiwi Black shoe polish. DO NOT USE PAINT! This will be a bit messy, so gloves are recommended. Take handfuls of the stuff and smear it liberally on any visibly altered surface. Next, add some dark soil. Stir. Now add another coat. If possible, try to drive it around somewhere dusty and rocky. Now. Park it. Take pictures. Try to sell it to an Australian if possible. They won't know any better.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The car has already made it's way to a sucker. And it's HIGHLY unlikely that sucker can find ANYBODY that's "sucker-er."

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Hence, my advice.

18. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Mayhap he should insure it and then "steal it" from himself & burn it...

Take the new tires off & sell them, though.

19. Read_OnlyIsPathetic Registered Member

Talk about rude responses....

I recently bought a used car and discovered that it was rusty underneath, so I decided to Google it for some solutions to at least slow the process (since I do not have much knowledge about cars).

However, I am extremely disappointed in the way all of you are responding. He did not ask you for personal advice or attacks about car buying... he is clearly already in this situation and was looking for advice. We all see 20/20 in retrospect and he obviously would not have bought the car if he had a better understanding of the problems. You have no idea what the details of the purchase were and calling him "lazy" and telling him he gets what he "deserves" are both generalized and very rude assumptions.

Simply because one does not have specific wisdom about a particular subject does not, by any means, constitute an "idiot". If I came to any of you with some sort of illness, shall I call you an "idiot" when you have no idea how to diagnose me because you have not been taught or trained as a Doctor? Honestly... do every one of you that attacked the OP have unlimited knowledge in all areas of life? Car buying is new and difficult for many people who have never had the experience...

The one I find most pathetic of all is "Read_Only". First of all, fellow, you are posting in a Sci-Fi community forum... does that scream "super successful" to you? Not only that, but you are one of the two following;

1. A teenager who does not know as much as he thinks he does and has somehow gotten lucky with previous vehicles (probably mommy or daddy if this is the case) and has no real idea what it's like to shop for a car on a budget. Probably spend most of your time playing Xbox or starting arguments on forums similar to this... though I doubt you have many real life friends.

or

2. An old man who has worked on cars and thinks he is the all knowledgeable ruler of the world because of this one specific skill set. Apparently, if you know about cars, you have every right in the world to act like an all knowing bastard and are able to definitively qualify who is and who is not an "idiot". In this case, I am curious why you are not spending your time working on vehicles and making some profit whilst spreading the world with your glorious knowledge instead of posting on what would generally be considered a young adult website...

No matter which you are, it is extremely sad. I can really only imagine what kind of life you have lead and what has made you become the likely Bipolar man that you are today. I can forgive you if you are still young, but if you are an adult man posting those things, you honestly need to be psychologically evaluated (coming from someone with a Psychology degree, based on these posts and the others you make on these boards).

Maybe you can get some meds to make you less MANIC!!!!!!! :-D

All in all, next time everyone feels like making someone with an honest question feel bad, maybe you can ask yourself how it would feel if you were on the opposite end looking for legit advice about a purchase/mistake you made and try to grow up for an ion of a second to help them.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope - you are the one who is pathetic and apparently has some mild mental issues. I have no such problems in the least.

Yes, both you and the original OP are certainly lacking in knowledge of the way the world works and how to best deal with it. The very FIRST rule in buying a used car (and I've done it many times) is take the thing to a qualified mechanic and have it checked out. Both of you would have been told - in less than five minutes - to run from those cars as fast as possible.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a newcomer who fell into this place through a Google hit, you of course do not understand the history behind this. Lixluke (who has been gone for three years) was one of our most troublesome members. He pretended to take the most disreputable position on controversial issues just to start an argument. He started threads like this one just to get people riled up. Everybody knew it so they just played along and piled on the insults.

You can be excused for the misunderstanding. If you've spent time on other online forums, I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon. Although I must say I'm surprised that you didn't figure out that the whole thing was a joke from his opening description of the car. Things like that don't happen in real life!

Now I'm a little suspicious of your reading skills. The name of this website is SciForums: SCIENCE FORUMS, not "science fiction forums." The majority of the subforums are, indeed about science, from physics to linguistics (I am the moderator of the Linguistics subforum), or at least about other areas of general scholarship such as history, philosophy and current events. We do have a "Life" section which includes a subforum on science fiction, as well as art & music and physical fitness. But science fiction is hardly our focus.

And, FYI, although the majority of our members are indeed very young, many of us are adults and experts in various scientific fields. I am a published author with 45 years' experience in software engineering.

I will simply ignore the rest of your rant since it was based on a misunderstanding. However, the one thing I cannot ignore, as a moderator, is your screen name. It is against the rules to adopt a screen name that comprises an insult to another member.

PLEASE CHANGE IT AT ONCE.

Thank you,
    F.R.

22. Read_OnlyIsPathetic Registered Member

Read-Only, I'm the one with mental issues? What type of training do you have to diagnose that?

Oh yeah, you have knowledge of EVERYTHING due to your car buying skills.

You qualify buying a used car as; "knowledge of the way the world works and how to best deal with it".

How can this make sense if the entire world does not even use or purchase motor vehicles? I mean, if you just stop to think for even a fraction of a second you will understand how incorrect that is.

Again, you have no idea what the purchasing circumstances are for anyone in this situation. In fact, let me explain mine and you can tell me how your expert knowledge could have prevented this.

My dad (who IS a qualified mechanic) and I went to look at my car. He got under it, drove it, checked everything he could. That day, I paid her half for the car and put $150 down for insurance. I was supposed to come back the next day to get it.

When I came back the next day, the driveway was blocked by her landlord's Bobcat and the car had a 6 foot wall of snow around it. After dealing with many legal issues with him and having the police come out (the title was already in my name because the car was fine the day we looked at it), it was finally dug out. At this point, the car had taken more damage and rusted in the 2 day process. I have taken any and all legal recourse I can against the damage and the man who did it... but I am still left with a rusted car that I have spent the money I have on.

So, I checked out the car, had a mechanic look at it, got insured before I even drove it, etc. It was an uncontrollable circumstance that caused my car to be rusty. How do you know that it wouldn't be the same crazy scenario for someone else? I obviously would have ran the other way if I knew what these people were getting me into...

Also, if you have a teenage relative (daughter, son, brother, nephew, etc), how the hell would you feel if a bunch of grown men were attacking them about buying a beater car?

All in all, I am not saying it lightly when I suggest an evaluation for you. You would find that your need to be constantly right and urge to validate yourself consistently can be taken care of with a combination of medication and therapy.

And, again, I will not change my name. The whole premise of this post shows that your moderators don't care in the slightest about the behavior of the "educated" people on this board.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Please check the Date's of the posts in question, your talking about something from back in 2008. This forum had at that point in time suffered a "troll" explosion and that unfortunately caused the moderators to develop thick skins. If they had tried to censor one or other party for their activities, they would of had a wall of trolls condemning their actions of censorship (purely for the trolling hell of it.)

I think it would make more sense just to close this old thread outright. If you want to start a thread on "The concerns of rusty cars" that's fine, just don't convert it into a subject of misdoings of this thread otherwise this forum will never move past trolling and the posed wrongdoing of moderators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.