Both Muslim AND Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sandy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I dunno. Maybe he was. Doesn't mean everything in there is exactly as it happened. I think I could believe that generally it was the same God, but not that everything within is true.

Not "the law" as I understand - but Deuterotomy ain't th' law. As for whether or not they're Christians: they are. But the implication is that all Christianity and Islam is close, and it isn't. The shahada cuts a pretty clear demarcation that way, notwithstanding that the trinity isn't really polytheism. How is it that this God fellow is capable of so much, including the creation of the universe, but can't be three representative facets? It's amusing that islam seems to feel that God is bound by nothing - the Platonian model? - yet must be bound only in this instance. Why is that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Sure it is.
    Deuteronomy (Devarim) is the fifth book of the Torah.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm can you show me where in the NT Jesus describes the trinity?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Nope.

No one can.

He doesn't.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Maybe representing the Christian-Islamic system as a polyvariable ordinal set with directionality would be most appropriate.

But she'd still get the ol' chop in Riyadh, is what I'm saying.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I always understood the Law as being Moses' Law - the Commandments. Not so?

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'd go with more a biadic model for that. Father, son. Seems right from Romans and Corinthians and Matthew etc. Spirit? Dunno.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What exactly is the origin of Jesus' divinity in Christianity? How did the trinity concept come about?

12. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I don´t think is unanswered man!
    Althought is a little confusing.

Moses tought people to wear masks in order to be good. But inside, they were still ugly. Moses tought people they can wear masks in order to set the foundations of a higher truth. Jesus came here saying you could become beautiful from the inside, with no need for masks.

Pharisees were the ones following Moses law the most, but they were so full of it, their egos were the biggest ones. They judged everybody by those standards on which they judge themselves.

Jesus came converting water into wine, he was talking about inner-transformation, not just superficial.

Like when he said:
    "You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to desire her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:27)."

He was talking about being good from the inside, not just pretend to be good. Because those who pretend to be good, and are not good in their hearts, are the ones fooling themselves.

Like the example I always put: Priests that say sex is evil, and at the same time look at woman with lusty eyes more than anyone.
    The bramacharya is an ideal, that it happens when you are conscient, fully aware, but it just doesn´t happen if you just pretend to be one. That is fooling yourself.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The Law IS Mosaic law, you got that right.
    Mosaic Law, however, is considered the whole of the Torah (the first five books of the Old Testament that are attributed to Moses).
    The "main part" of The Law (where Kosher rules and such are set forth) is Leviticus, but Genesis through Deuteronomy is The Law.

14. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Council of Nicaea

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean why did they decide on a trinity? What was the reason for that?

16. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Unification of Religion and Government to manipulate people.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's a very long, convoluted, story.

Blame the Catholics

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How would a trinity unify religion and government?

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

How does creating the Trinity do that?
    Formation of the Holy Roman Catholic Church, sure, but the Trinity specifically? I don't see how.

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Sam,

Are you looking for specific chapter and verse quotes that some people interpret to support the idea of the Trinity?

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Maybe but how can it be? OT - stoning. NT - JC he say "no stone no more". So how can it be the same? Stoning's in what? Deut or Leviticus?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's just something they decided on. It was inferred from the text. The belief was pretty widespread: it's hard to say if it's right or wrong, or right or wrong on that basis. That's why I think a more minimalist binitarian model is more appropriate. Ultimately, though, I don't think it matters all that much.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wow, I cannot even comprehend it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!