Born with Rabies?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OK, let's pretend...

My pregnant cat bets bit by a rabid bat. The next day she has her kittens. Will the kittens be born with rabies? :shrug:

If a 9 mth pregnant woman gets bit by a rapid bat, how long afterwards can her child be delivered without rabies?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

See link below; Animals and humans can't be born with rabies.

Can Animals Be Born With Rabies?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh snap! my co-workers can suck it. LOL they all told me I was a nut for even wondering.

Animals cannot be born with rabies because it is a virus and not genetically related.

why does German Measles hurt an unborn child then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Well, I think we need to be careful with our terminology. When someone says an animal is “born with” with a certain condition then to me that implies that it has had the condition throughout its in utero development. In turn this implies that the condition must have a genetic basis and is not a viral infection like rabies.

However, the question of whether or not a baby animal can contract an infection that the mother is carrying as a result of exposure to blood and other body fluids during birth is another matter. I believe the answer to that question is yes.

8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Right, so the question is whether the rabies virus will cross the placenta.

I think that it will not, because rabies likes nerve cells (more correctly, it can't infect other cells), and generally isn't free in the bloodstream.

Rubella, on the other hand, likes many more cell types, is present in the blood, and is able to cross the placental barrier.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The OP question also focuses on the incubation time of the rabies virus, and what the earliest time is for a virus carrier to become able to spread the infection.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep. how long can a cat or a person have rabies before it affects the baby (if ever)

11. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

It appears that the rabies virus does not cross the placenta to cause a perinatal infection, nor can it cause a transcervical infection, ie. infect the baby during birth as a result of exposure to blood and other body fluids.

So, given that rabies doesn’t affect an in utero baby, the answer to your question is: for as long as it takes the rabies virus to kill the mother.

Pathogens that can cause perinatal infections are sometimes referred to as the “TORCH” complex:

T – Toxoplasmosis / Toxoplasma gondii
    O – Other infections (see below)
    R – Rubella
    C – Cytomegalovirus
    H – Herpes simplex virus

The "other agents" included under O are Hepatitis B, Coxsackievirus, Syphilis, Varicella-Zoster Virus, HIV, and Parvovirus B19.

The acronym has also been listed as TORCHES, for TOxoplasmosis, Rubella, Cytomegalovirus, HErpes simplex, Syphilis.

Not surprisingly, transcervical infections are typically caused by blood-borne microorganisms (Hepatitis B, HIV), organisms associated with sexually transmitted disease (e.g., Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia), and normal fauna of the genito-urinary tract (e.g., Candida).

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Thank you Herc!!!!