Book of Mormon Internal Consistency

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Kerry Shirts, Dec 29, 2005.

1. just ask George Lucas

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. can you show us some BoM examples? like "Moses", or sailing or something

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Actually, the Book of Mormon displays remarkable consistency throughout the entire text. Remember, Joseph Smith was dictating, not writing, and there were not (to my knowledge) any discrepancies in the text which would indicate that JS was "making it up as he went along." You try writing a 500+ page religious book, full of references to Christ and His gospel, and have it be entirely self-consistent. I think you'll find how hard that is to do if you're an uneducated 19th century farm boy who is dictating the whole thing to a scribe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nisus by peace he shall destroy many Registered Senior Member

Lolol

8. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

Any religion developed during the 19th century is a waste of time :|

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Finally, some truth.

10. Nisus by peace he shall destroy many Registered Senior Member

Hell yea it is complex. Touches so many aspects of humanity.... i mean feel free.

How many stories of war have you heard where there is a fight between to huge nations and both are destroyed in brutal battle and the final showdown is between the two final leaders, the survivors

Shiz and Coriantumr.

Shiz gets pwnd at then end. Coriantumr barely lives. Both nations utterly wasted, bones heaped upon all the land.

Then Jesus comes to visit after the whole american continent is wracked and shaken in tempest earthquakes and turmoil.

The book is crowned by Jesus' guest appearance!!!

11. then why the "french"?

wink, wink, parle vous "hoax"?

use link for translation
    http://translation2.paralink.com/

12. actually, so many of you mormons are too smart, that you out "rationalize" yourselves, you'll catch the weakest link in someone else's reasoning, then totally discount it, but holding on to any slim thread if its a weak link to support LDS, you want to believe this so badly, that you brain wash yourselves & each other

P.S.
    God can redeem anyone, read the Bible

13. Marlin Registered Senior Member

14. Nisus by peace he shall destroy many Registered Senior Member

WBY, PHD, His expert diagnosis of "mormonism", hahaha *snort* lol.

Sounds like something you stole from one of the athiests in here...

Wish you could become a little more original; but that's just your selfsame psuedo-intellectual refuse. Provoking nausea whenever I read your posts.

It's like we've already proven you wrong 1000 times... why do it 1001? The cankering black hole of your doubt seems infinitly deep, I guess it's safe to say the extent of your responses will be proportionate with that of your endless gulf of disbelief.

But since you wanna keep going, go on, raise your sword.

15. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Aw, don't be mean to WBY. He's definitely the best publicist the LDS could ever wish for!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. this is a big-time mormon site:
    www.lightplanet.com/response/answers/adieu.htm"]Why Is the French Word "Adieu" Used in the Book of Mormon?
    there is no doubt, that the word "adieu" had been used in the english language, see below:
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=adieu
    or this:
    http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761558048_2/English_Literature.html
    the prob, is that out of nowhere ol' Jo Smith throws this french affectation, when if he was translating "Lehitra'ot" into english, why not say "goodbye" or "Godspeed"?
    instead, Jo goes into Shakespearian prose? its like if I translate some sentence from Spanish & write it into English, but use the German word "auf Wiedersehen" at the end. did I really finish translating, did I just show off or did I give you a clue to my phoniness?

to translate, use this site:
    http://translation2.paralink.com/

17. Nisus by peace he shall destroy many Registered Senior Member

And the Gentiles are lifted up in the pride of their eyes, and have stumbled, because of the greatness of their stumbling block, that they have built up many churches; nevertheless, they put down the power and miracles of God, and preach up unto themselves their own wisdom and their own learning -- Nephi

... adieu. . .

18. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Randolfo:

Joseph Smith translated the word or phrase as "adieu" because IN HIS LANGUAGE, IN HIS TIME that was the common, NON-SHAKESPEARIAN way to say "Farewell." Period.

If you can't see this, you perhaps have comprehension problems.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  19. Marlin Registered Senior Member

So if I say au revoir, I'm being a phony for not saying it in English? What if Joseph Smith had translated a character saying the equivalent of bon voyage? Should he then have translated that as "happy voyage"? Or was the foreign term a legitimate part of the English language already?

20. cksalmon Registered Member

Kerry--

And how might one "refute" BoM? How might one demonstrate that BoM is not a legitimately ancient document?

Those with a spiritual witness of its authenticity seem quite satisfied with minimal, or, in some cases, no evidence thereof. Those interested parties, without the LDS worldview, are generally convinced that the evidence against BoM's authenticity is varied, manifest, and compelling.

Given the LDS apologetic tendency to put forward unfalsifiable reinterpretations of LDS claims anent any number of things (in this case re: BoM), how would you suggest that one refute it?

Given that no one can prove a negative proposition, what can you possibly mean by [refuting BoM]?

What is the falsifiable claim (or claims) that you hold as demonstrative of BoM's authenticity and antiquity?

I can't refute the claim that the earth is flat. I can show evidence demonstrative of that proposition's contrary, but I can't counter claims that the counter-flat-earth evidence is misinterpreted, misapplied, or misunderstood, while the claims of the flat-earthers are compelling and definitive.

Again, what is the specific claim (or claims) you challenge others to refute (bearing in mind that you cannot expect anyone to prove a negative claim: e.g., the BoM is not true)?

Chris

21. FelixC Registered Senior Member

I bought a Book of Mormon at a used bookstore for a $1, after I took it home I noticed it had colored bookmarks, that someone had put passages, that had verses to look up, like:
    Helaman 3:25-28
    Alma 34:8-17
    3 Nephi 11:7-17

I think its funny if they really have to wear secret "holy" long underwear, specially women. it seems that women always have more strict rules in these different religions

say like that Texas cult, 400 married girls for old men????
    isn't there a yuck factor there? thats got to be gross for those young girls

22. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Kerry,

The Book of Mormon is certainly not consistent with the Bible…

The Bible says, Jesus was born in Bethlehem" Mt 2:1 + Mt 21:17
    The Book of Mormon claims, "He shall be born of Mary at Jerusalem" Alma 7:10

So, where was Jesus born then?

Thanks

23. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Kerry,

I always found it curious that at least some of the writings in the Book of Mormon appear to be exact word for exact word copies of the, much older at the time, King James Version of the Bible. In other words it looks as though someone just copied some of it word for word right out of the King James Bible. The original ancient plates could not have been either written in King James English or directly translated into King James English because King James English was not Joseph Smith’s or anyone else’s current tongue at the time the plates were supposedly translated.

So far, this makes no sense to me. Please check into this and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2008