Blood donation from a drunk

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Syzygys, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

What happens theoretically when a drunk donates blood? I assume if another person gets the blood, he would get drunk too.

What happens to the blood though? I assume the alcohol doesn't dissipate just by time alone, so can it be filtered or something? Or is it just bad and unusable blood forever?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I often wonder about the THC content in my blood as I donate it to the Red Cross...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I got this info from another forum:

"When you donate a unit of whole blood...it gets split into 3 parts: packed RBCs, plasma, and platelets. The PRBCs contain no plasma....so a patient getting that unit would not be at any risk for getting any remnants of your alcohol...or acetaldehyde or whatever is left of it.....nor would the patient getting your plts. The only person at risk would be the one getting the plasma. "

Now let's say there is a surgery going bad and the patient with a very rare blood type losing blood like to a vampire and the only person aviable at hand with that blood type is drunk. Would they take the drunk's blood or is there a way to filter it???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

i'd rather have jmpet blood

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm in that sort of traumatic situation they are going to give either whole blood or Packet cells and platlets. There isnt much point in giving plazma protines to someone who is badly heamoraging because all its going to do is draw SOME of the fluid out of the extra vascular space and into the vascular space but they are still going to be heamodiluted.

9. Mizu Registered Member

hey I'm new jest wondering does any1 think that PTSD may be exacerbated by tertiary Siph