'Black Holes' In Ocean

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by hansda, Sep 25, 2013.

1. hansda Valued Senior Member

Here is a media report about 'Black Holes' in Ocean.

The paper can be seen here.( The full paper can be seen by clicking the 'PDF' button.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I've always suspected...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Bloody Journos!

All these guys have done is some new mathematical modelling of previously well-known things called Agulhas Rings (arising from the Agulhas Current). Their finding is that the modelling has similar mathematical properties to the "photon sphere" at the edge of an astronomical black hole.

Of course these eddies have no capacity to suck in things forever (being made of incompressible fluid they couldn't possibly) and indeed they do not last more than a year before dissipating.

And that's it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

But it sounds so ominous, exuberant, and eternal...these Agulhas Rings. However calling them "black holes" is definitely a mistake, the term is for space phenomena.

8. Fednis48 Registered Senior Member

A few months ago, some guy gave a talk about Hawking radiation. He was trying to study it by mapping the equations for curved space onto flowing water and looking at the flow patterns out of a bottlenecked trough. This article reminds me a bit of that talk... At any rate, though, maelstroms are cool! And I did not know until reading this article that they could perform long-distance, lossless transport. Thanks for a fun read!

9. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Ah! So destroying actual black holes is similar to putting out a fire...just point a hose at it!

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

11. relgen Registered Member

omaigawd a pattern in nature!!! what a breakthrough.

1/10.

12. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The Agulhas rings are amazing in themselves imv and the location is one of the sights identified by the great Ivan Sanderson as "Vile Vortices".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I agree, the Huff Post article was pretty naff.