Biceps, Triceps, and Quadraceps

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by takandjive, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Roman Banned Banned

I'm guessing Army. And it's not the exercises you guys do so much as the attitude. The US military has performed poorly in most endurance races. Grunts tend to lack finesse, and I think the military fosters a lot of gear dependence. I guess it's just the upper body attitude where you flex your guns and try to climb with your biceps.

Idle Mind covered it quite well, but I'd like to point out that a 5.10 these days isn't actually that hard. I am a recreational climber, and I can regularly do 5.9s, which are at the top of the "old" scale. Once you get over 5.10, it starts getting really gnarly. 5.11, and up, come in grades A, B, and C. So it goes 5.11A, 5.11B, 5.11C, 5.12A, etc. Depending on the dynamics of the pitch can boost a climb with a bunch of big jugs up a grade, while a handful of clutch moves on a short arete can bump it down a grade.

When I get back to being able to work more directly on my abs, I'll take your advice and stick to the crunches. I've got enough back damage to last two people a lifetime.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

What'd you do to yourself?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Herniated two discs in my lower lumbar.

I bring it up because I can't really talk about my current exercise routine; just the one I used to a year ago. So if someone is like "hey Roman, post some more nudey shots" I can be "sorry my abs are gone; enjoy the gratuitous crotch shots."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Everyone likes gratuitous crotch shots. My mother had surgery in her lower lumbar; it's worked wonders. Are you looking into surgery?

8. Roman Banned Banned

I've heard a lot of good news from people who got surgery, but I've also seen a lot of numbers that show people who do some physical therapy and those who get the surgery are in the same state 1 to 5 years later. I'm broke, though, so I'm just going to wait it out.

How are your guns coming?

Despite what Mike says about seeing results in only two weeks, it takes most people around 6 to see visible results. Previous activity levels and genetics play a large part. Right now, if I lift two or three days in a three or four day period, I put on almost 3 pounds and puff up like bird in the cold.

9. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Eh, they're coming along. The tips have helped. I mowed today, push-mowing, not as sore as I usually am after doing that. I just need to be able to handle my body weight better with my arms and look good in a sleeveless shirt. The latter is coming along better than I expectd.

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Wait now. I didn't say they would be 'punch you in the face' obvious. I've noticed a slight difference after two weeks; a nominal one, but one nonetheless.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Nice. Always good to hear someone interested in taking care of their body. Especially women. I like a woman tough enough that I won't feel guilty about beating.

Haha, "punch you in the face" obvious. For men with little subcutaneous fat, of which I'm guessing you are one, since you are old and still have a six-pack, results are much easier to see. Women's muscles are constructed differently, incorporating a lot of fatty tissue in with the muscle fibers, and they also have that layer of fat over the top of everything that makes them so nice to touch. Also, consider that your exercise regimen has likely been centered around "punch you in the face" guns, while many women don't work out that aggressively, and tend towards the pilates end of the spectrum when it comes to non-cardio work, so their muscles are put together for different reasons. I see women in the gym all the time doing curls with 6 pound weights. While 6 pounders are great for strengthening rotator cuffs and shoulders to prevent a blow out, spending your early years doing those means you aren't going to be set up for curling heavier stuff, later. Your muscles will have to readjust their structure. I think. I could be making that last part up.

12. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Oh, stop. I don't let men beat me until they've made me feel bad enough to be considered an emotional cripple.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Especially when it's a woman.

:roflmao:
    I'm only 36 and I look less than 30.

Oh no. As far as upper body goes, I probably put the most emphasis on my shoulders (particularly the traps) and the lats. That however, is trumped by my core itself.
    I should have added earlier in the thread that your core is more or less the pivot point of your entire body. If you have a weak core, you're going to more or less have a weak (collective) body.
    However, as far as the whole body, I put more emphasis on my legs, as you pretty much walk on them everyday. They probably handle more load per day than your arms/shoulders do in a week, so why not ensure that they are strong. Plus women love some junk in the trunk on a guy.

14. Roman Banned Banned

I'm jibing you, braheim.

Do you regularly go for max weight when you lift? That's more what I meant. Our approach to lifting is typically more focused on heavier and fewer repetitions than most women's.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I know. I've been the brunt of old jokes ever since I went into boot camp at 25. Too bad I smoked at least half of the 18 and 19 year old recruits at the time.

Yes, but as you said, I have very little fat and a super fast metabolism, so even if I lift heavy for the quickest and maximum gain, as I get bigger, I also get cut. So that said, there is really no point for a guy like me to do light weight, many reps.
    Whereas if I were one of those stocky, Nebraska corn-fed mofos, I'd be more inclined to do the light weight, many reps to slim down and for strength.
    You'll still get strong as hell with light weight/high reps, you just won't get very big.