Biblical Contradictions: Question#1

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The question asks whether it's a contradiction. The negative are using an argument that formulates an explanation that rephrases the original cite.

When such efforts are made to preserve the literal meaning (or revised semi-metaphorical recasting of phraseology to preserve it), the focus shifts away from doctrine and belief, and toward a ritualized behavior commonly associated with fundamentalism, namely, to effectively enshrine literalism as if it were the fourth person in a Holy Tetrarchy.

It should be sufficiently revealing, just by checking fundamentalist textual analysis, that the intention is to preserve literalism.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The other explanation is that it's one of many literary clues found all throughout the Bible, which reveal seams where various threads of documentation were spliced together, or sections were redacted, or any of a dozen or more anomalies completely ignored by the literalist, who regards this kind analysis as an attack on belief, and therefore to be vilified.

Because anyone who ever wants to get to the bottom of the contradictions in the Bible will eventually need to understand the criticism, which is at best a scientific treatment of the document(s) -- a necessary guide for translation, without which you might as well assign any meaning you want to any of the text, because without the correct translation, all you can hope for is gibberish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

And this is gibberish of the 3rd kind.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

This would have been part of my answer also, still, because the OP included the statement "So... with God ALL things are NOT possible?"

I'd add this:

Sometimes God says "No." We pray for something. God usually gives exactly what we pray for. Sometimes He gives us what we really need. Other times He simply won't do it. Other times, fo rinstance if we ask God for strength, He sends us a lot of hard work.

Yes. With God (and sometimes even without Him) all things are possible. Some things are not LIKELY though. One of my Methodist ministers told me, probably 30 years ago, "With God you can move a mountain, but you have to bring your own shovel."

Maybe all those iron chariots, which likely were more akin to tanks, were in a field of marijuana and by the time Judah got there they were all so stoned they couldn't mess with it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'd tend to think those guys in the tanks would be handy little farmers to have around...

8. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Someone should create that into a comic. I was laughing my ass off, lol.

But the point remains. God wouldn't have to look into the future in order to see the outcome of war. He is Almighty and can make you win for sure. The reason why Judah couldn't defeat the chariots was because God didn't want them to drive out the inhabitants, yet. Evangelicals will say.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Ha! This is ten ways wrong, at least!