Bible Verse of the Day

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Feb 5, 2007.

1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Gen 41:21 And when they had eaten them up, it could not be known that they had eaten them; but they were still ill favoured, as at the beginning. So I awoke.

Spidergoat, take your first born and bring him to the mountain for sacrificing... the penalty for misquoting God

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Lovely....#14

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's from this one.
    Wait, let me look it up here.

17. So Pharaoh spoke to Joseph, "In my dream, behold, I was standing on the bank of the Nile;
    18. and behold, seven cows, fat and sleek came up out of the Nile, and they grazed in the marsh grass.
    19. "Lo, seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and gaunt, such as I had never seen for ugliness in all the land of Egypt;
    20. and the lean and ugly cows ate up the first seven fat cows.
    21. "Yet when they had devoured them, it could not be detected that they had devoured them, for they were just as ugly as before. Then I awoke.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

So its one of the real versions of the bible?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I see. So Joseph interprets the Pharaoh's dream to mean that there will be 7 good years of grain harvests, and 7 years of famine. So he recommends the Pharaoh send a representative to collect taxes in grain, so that when the famine comes, they can sell it back. Pharaoh choses Joseph for this job, and 14 years later, Joseph is on the job, selling grain to the Egyptians, who don't starve.

New American Standard Bible
    On that site, you can chose any version.

9. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

So I guess one moral of the story is divination pays if one can interpret the symbolic language.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe Joseph was just guessing. How often to you get a chance to interpret the dream of a Pharaoh?

11. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

So there may have been many 'failed' Jacobs...probably killed by the Pharoah for f*c#ing up.
    This Jacob guessed right and now he's famous. That puts my silly divination theory to bed then...it was probability all along.

12. nds1 Registered Senior Member

I thought Mike Tyson said something similar to this as well.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lev 3:12 And if his offering is a goat, then let it be placed before the Lord,

14. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Animal sacrifice goes back a long way back...

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Ecc 7:3 Sorrow is better than joy; when the face is sad the mind gets better.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Pro- Existentialism...it must have been a bad harvest

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don' think existentialism can be reduced to mere "sadness".

18. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Existentialist nausea?

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Eeek.

Let's not stain existentialism by having it involved in a religion thread....

20. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Religious thread?

21. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

the KJV says this "gen 41;20: And the lean and the ill favoured kine did eat up the first seven fat kine:
    21: And when they had eaten them up, it could not be known that they had eaten them; but they were still ill favoured, as at the beginning. So I awoke."
    compared with the RSV gen 41;20: And the thin and gaunt cows ate up the first seven fat cows,
    21: but when they had eaten them no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were still as gaunt as at the beginning. Then I awoke.

so it may not literally say the same thing verbatum, but the meaning still there, which ever version.

22. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

It's the Bible, the skinny cows ate the fat cows, and even with the fat cows inside them they seemed as bad as before, it is a dream that someone had (perhaps a king had it...or a prophet).

23. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

"Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess...ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that."

Deuteronomy 12:2