Best ways to defeat Depression.Name what works for you?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LORD_VOLDEMORT, Mar 5, 2008.

1. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

I have read exercise and laughter releases Endorphins which elevates mood and find it true.I have noticed Marijuana is great at helping me feel at ease,its very Therapeutic and i find my thought process much more clear.I have heard Yoga is the best way to defeat depression.What do you find works well at elevating mood and relieving Depression.I find jogging and getting outside and breathing fresh air are excellent cures of Depression besides Marijuana smoking lol.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST,THE BEST STRESS RELIEVER

SEX!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I've also read that bananas (fruits) help.

When I get sad I usually go chat with guys. The more guys, the better. Well, the only thing that makes me very sad is if some guy doesn't want to talk to me. Gods, that can be devastating.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I haven't really been depressed, but when under stress I've found that martial arts exercises and meditation help a lot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

are you talking about feeling sad or Clinical Depression?

If the first then watching my marine fish, sitting at the pet shop, playing with my partner ect

If your talking about the second then antidepressants and psycological intervention

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've heard from people with clinical depression that finding and getting really engaged in a hobby or, even better, a lot of hobbies really help to get well again.

9. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Not so much for clinical depression, but I've been amazed at how a simple walk can help knock off the blues, or alternatively, the means reds.(when you're annoyed with everything, including yourself.)

Especially on a sunny day, a brisk walk around the block can do wonders for the soul. I think when we're down and cranky the tendency is lethargy, so getting the blood up for a minute is a natural antithesis to the desire to lay on the couch and channel surf, sleep or just stare at the wall, none of which are really going to help you snap out of it.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Burn down a few houses, shoot some animals, wreck a car, start a fight and scream at people are ways to help relieve my depression!

11. draqon Banned Banned

best way to defeat depression is to do something extremal, like sneak in inside a close building (dont steal/take/do anything) and sneak out unnoticed and safe...or go bike at night on a highway in an opposite direction...or go force yourself not eat stuff for days....and other stuff...spoken from exp.

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Cosmictraveler is on the right ticket for me.
    Often depression is anger turned inward. You are treated badly - in the ways small and large we each are to this or that degree every day - but instead of thinking 'man that guy was rude' or 'girlfriend is treating me poorly when she sleeps with my best friend' we focus on ourselves. 'I guess I shouldn't have been standing there.' Or 'I am so weak for not standing up for myself' or 'I guess I wasn't good in bed' or whatever way of not focusing outward with anger but turning it on ourselves. reversing this can reverse depression, but it is easier said than done. And it is not about going 'out there' and turning that anger on others, especially not physically. An occasional chewing someone out, or laying it on the line with a good angry tone, on the other hand, is probably useful when you are ready.

But it is no small thing to shift from the self-abusive mentality to something more healthy. You have to shift from assuming that you are the source of all your own pain, while at the same time, ironically, facing your role in creating it. There are hundreds of little and powerful judgements that are locked in place about yourself and the world and what MUST BE TRUE and changing these can be quite a bit of work.

13. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

I find looking at the more fortunate and taking on the mentality (IT COULD BE WORST) is helpful also.It does not mean take the superior route,it means there are people attached to tubes,battling deadly diseases,dying,homeless,unable to figure out what is there next meal.It could be worst.You woke up this morning.Depression in my opinion is 90 percent mental and that is were Yoga and exercise and certain foods come in to place.Yoga,Sex,Laughter,Exercise,Healthy eating are said to be the most effective ways to defeat Depression.I am starting Yoga next week.My therapist told me its a bitch to first start out and extremely strenous,give it a week and you will see a major difference.She said you will know how good it is to wake up and breath normally,to not have a worry in the world.It helps.Also if you have a lack of water intake it could be a chemical imbalance that causes you to become Depressed as water pushes out toxins.Marijuana is extremely therapeutic however its best to do it at moderation.

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I take fish oil every day. Around a tablespoon. That stuff is supposed to have a ton of health benefits like boosting cardiovascular health, brain health and mood, etc. I also work out more or less every day when I get home from work and classes. I do aerobics and pilates. Working out does tons to improve my mood and fend off depression. Oh yeah, sex helps a lot too.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Totally, walking always helps me to drive away the blues.

16. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Been waiting for an Op for nearly 5 yrs on my 2nd hospital and 3rd surgeon
    which left me with depression and loss in confidence in local NHS.
    I got a dog 15 months ago and that worked, as well as marajuana (copius amounts).
    The dog makes me smile morning ,noon and night. but dogs arn't for everyone

17. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I think you're on to something Dragon! Biking on the highway in the opposite direction appears to be the most viable alternative to medication.

18. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

What works best for me is find someone who is happy to see me. A happy reaction from someone will keep me in a very elevated mood for at least two days. Not always possible, though, and not something I actively seek out when depressed.

Me too. But if I do too much then I might be irreversibly fatigued until I get a lot of sleep. That is for traditional work outs. Yoga, on the other hand, makes me feel more invigorated afterwards. Pilates is kind of between those extremes for me, it depends on my particular routine.

In the past two summers I've found that I got depressed/got a bad attitude until I got my daily basketball in.

19. draqon Banned Banned

yes but it has to be done at night and when you really need sleep so you are so extremely tense it just drives adrenaline dry, WORKS

20. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Works? No, complete rubbish.

21. draqon Banned Banned

says who? have you ever been trough depression? Obviously no if you decline. It worked for me. All the antidepressant drugs in the world want to the sort of help coming close to death experiences help one to stabilize self. BUT NO, YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW BETTER.

22. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

My utter inability to attract a woman has been the main source of depression in my life.

23. draqon Banned Banned

women are not attracted, women are chosen. They want to see you show that power over them. (Of course don't overbend it, look for signs of agreenment)