Best SOT Book?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

To me The Sword of Truth series is second best to The Lord of the Rings, I read all of them at least a year ago but have very fond memories of each's writing. I can remember one of my best friend's at the time begging me to read it...he kept saying how cool it is. Then one day while I was perusing the library I happened to see the Wizard's First Rule and its fantastic cover. I picked it up and started reading it and was enthralled. My memories of gorging myself on this guy's writing are easily happy ones.

Just as I had finished every one that had been published up until that time Faith of the Fallen was released, and while each previous book had been amazing and vivid, FOTF did many things that up until then no book had done before. I felt suspense stirring in my heart when Kahlan, the female heroine, found herself galloping into a horde of gluttonous soldiers with a sword that would not turn. I found majesty and such emotion as never before in Richard's working of the statue (featured on the cover) that he built, and furthermore the emotions of the people that saw it. I should read it again, I think I donated it to the local library (it was a hardcover and I am a goody-two-shoes).

The Pillars of Creation, however...was somewhat of a disapointment. He created several new characters and places for them to live, and it was rare that I got to see my favorite people progressing the plot line. It seemed almost like a break in the story, as if he had written a paragraph somewhere and felt like he should expand upon it. The title is also taken from a patch of nebula somewhere near Orion's belt I think, it's a picture everyone has seen from the Hubble Space Telecope.

Hopefully the next book in the series, Naked Empire, will be better. But was your favorite? Have you read the series? If you haven't and you consider yourself a fantasy book reader, you should definitely give this guy a try. The funny thing is that he actually used to live only a few miles away from where I do, until he became succesful, that is. My friend's mom taught him about horses

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!