Bereavement apparitions..

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Feb 27, 2024.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No, it is not. The ghost explanation is actually unfalsifiable. Therefore, nothing rules it out. Nothing could.
    Some percentage of people report seeing such things, certainly. I assume you don't have any stats on that. That would require effort.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
    That, I understand just fine. I totally understand why people who have had that kind of experience might come to believe in ghosts (or why they might well believe in them before having the experience). Thanks for asking.
    Well, it's probably a big ask. Your standard ghost is supposed to be the disembodied spirit of a person who has died. So, I would probably want to see some good evidence that any kind of spirit exists, disembodied or otherwise, for starters. Then I'd need to see some clear evidence that the purported ghost shared the knowledge and personality of a particular, identified dead person (and have the earlier death confirmed). And, naturally, I want to see some reliable physical evidence of the ghost itself. Perhaps some high-quality video footage of the ghost, with sound, shot by an unbiased observer and obviously free from evidence of manipulation (CGI, editing tricks, suspicious cuts etc.). The ghost would need to appear more than once, to different and unconnected groups of reliable observers.

In addition, some solid scientific theories describing and accounting for the existence of spirits would be valuable. It would be great if the ghost could agree to cooperate with scientists, to study how the ghost manages to interact with ordinary matter, light and such. I'd like to know what the ghost is made of, for instance. It is made of ordinary matter or some spirit material (ectoplasm?)? How and why does the ghost appear and disappear? It would be great if somebody could interview the ghost to find out what it knows.

To summarise then: I'd require extraordinary evidence to convince me that ghosts are real, because the claim that ghosts are real is, after all, an extraordinary claim.

Note: the above list is only suggestive of the kind of evidence that I'd like to see. It is not meant to be prescriptive or exclusive of other possible evidences. I'm open minded - just not so open minded that my brains fall out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

IOW, you want ghost sightings to be a predictable and repeatable phenomenon that can be tested and analyzed scientifically as a physical occurrence. That's probably not going to happen, just as it doesn't with other extraordinary phenomena like the big bang or consciousness. Such are the limitations of science in understanding reality in all of its variegated and unpredictable manifestations.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The claim that it was just a sporadic hallucination of a distressed brain is also unfalsifiable. How could that explanation ever be ruled out?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Interesting paper by Ian Stevenson providing evidence and arguments for the phenomenon of apparitions proving survival after death. A very empirically-based and wide ranging examination of cases including different types of apparitions people experience. He basically lays out the case that after death apparitions are not just a telepathic vision of the dead person but a real visitation of the person in some afterlife state. That they are physically and objectively "there" in the location where they are being experienced and not just some brain-generated image. And that they are conscious and interactive entities. I concur with these conclusions. Read it for yourself.

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual...Evidence-for-Survival_-Ian-Stevenson-1982.pdf

'The features of apparitions that do not conform to the usual behavior of physical objects are well known: they may appear and disappear without "coming and going" like ordinary persons or objects; they may pass through solid walls and closed, locked doors; and they may move about by gliding instead of walking. Yet apparitions (or at least some of them) also behave in certain respects like ordinary persons and objects. Here I am not thinking of their opacity, since this might be a feature of a telepathically induced hallucination. But other quasi-physical features of apparitions are not so easy to explain on a telepathic hypothesis. For example, apparitions may be reflected in mirrors. Even more important is their frequent adaptive reaction to the physical situation in which they occur and to the people present; they may approach or recede from persons present and walk around physical obstructions. They may themselves sometimes be walked around, a feature that implies a certain stability in the apparition as well as in its localization in relation to space-occupying objects. They may also gesture to draw the percipient's attention to, say, the site of a wound on the agent's body. 12 And finally, as mentioned earlier, in collective experiences they are seen from different positions with perceptions corresponding to the different locations of the percipients. These features suggest to me, rather strongly I must say, that some directing per:sonality animates the perceived apparition. The comparison sometimes made between apparitional figures and the images on a moving picture or television screen seems to break down when we consider these features. We know that the figures represented on such a screen are not "really there" where they seem to be, and it may seem easy to say that apparitional figures are also not where they seem to be. And yet images on a screen do not adapt to their viewers, whereas apparitional figures sometimes do."

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Actually, ghost sighting are predictable in some of their features, and some reports say the same ghost can "repeat" in the same place. Despite that, and in spite of years in which a plethora of highly-motivated people could have worked to prove the existence of ghosts, there's still no good evidence for their actual existence. Instead, the best explanations either involve misidentification of everyday things (as is the case with many UFOs), faulty perceptions (e.g. paradolia) or minds playing other tricks, not to mention deliberate fraud, which is ever-present in this area.
    There's a huge amount of scientific evidence for the big bang. We see its ongoing effects all around us when we look out at the universe. That's why the BB theory is science.

As for consciousness, that's proven to be a hard nut to crack, scientifically. There are lots of ideas and a lot of ongoing research, though. Consciousness is certainly a regularly-observed phenomenon that lends itself to scientific testing and examination.
    It would be immediately ruled out if anybody ever produced any convincing evidence of a ghost, in a particular case. That doesn't happen, though.
    Ah yes. A 1982 paper in the esteemed Journal of Psychical Research. Has any progress been made in that field since 1982?
    And, of course, he does not even consider the possibility that ghosts are hallucinations or similar.

I love these kinds of kooky gems from the article:
    I wonder whether he considered the possibility that things might be opaque due to ordinary physical properties, at all. It seems not.

The article is woo, through and through.

9. Bells Staff Member

I kind of have to ask.. So what if he accepts it at face value?

Is it frustrating sometimes? Sure. But so what? How is this harmful to you? If you read a scientific study, do you accept the results at face value?

Because I am overly sceptical of most things, James. Is it possible that those who followed Kulman applied a well known religious standard to saints to her? Absolutely. There's something to be gained in it. Religions have been doing this for centuries. Is it shocking that her followers or the other leaders of her congregation applied that standard to elevate her status as a faith healer, etc? Not at all. I'd have been shocked if they hadn't.

If people smelled it, they smelled it. Am I going to turn around and tell them they are wrong? No. If they didn't smell it, and then claimed they had, then that would be fraudulent. But the smell of roses around death has been around for as long as religious belief has been around. I guess it says something that I smelled Pears soap.. But here we are.

But smelling flowers, other scents, roses, etc, is not that uncommon around death James. People experience it. That is their experience. If people experienced it with Kulman, then okay? I mean, what do you want me to say to them? They're wrong?

Because Kulman was a religious figure with a huge following and because smelling roses in particular, after death, is known in religious circles to suggest the divine. I thought my post was quite clear on the matter. I also explained why such reports may have spread after her death. If people believe those reports, then more power to them. That is their choice to believe it.

We do have freedom to choose what we do and do not believe in, yes?

I believe that he experienced something and how he chooses to interpret it is up to him. Just as the people who believe they saw a white light over Kulman's body when she died or others who claim they smelled roses, etc, is their experience and how they interpret it is absolutely up to them.

Interpretation of everything we see, smell, taste, hear, touch, is actually individual and is also based on our own experiences, beliefs and expectations, and is also influenced by our values, culture and norms.

Something something about the intricacies of how we perceive and interpret the world around us applies here.

You can discuss whatever you want. But it's still not going to diminish what I experienced. I also said that it is hard to explain and frankly, whether you believe it or not is up to you. I'm telling you what I experienced personally. Do I believe MR and others experienced something similar? Yes. It's a personal experience. If I can't explain what it is, I don't expect you to be in absolutely any position to do so, because you didn't experience it.

I am sceptical about her story, because of who she was, but I also understand that people did experience something after she died. I am sceptical because of who she was and the religious ideology that she pushed and I also understand the need for her church to push the any story of her being somehow divine or touched by god, because their very existence depended on it. But that's me. I don't expect others to believe as I do. If MR or anyone else wishes to believe it, then good for them. More power to them.

Err no? Why would I expect you to believe my experiences in this matter? I think the bigger question is why do you feel in a better position to tell MR and I what it was not?

If I can't even explain it or understand what it was, how can you explain what it was not? How can anyone? If someone thinks it's a ghost.. Okay? And? I can or can not believe them. That's up to me, right? Just as it's up to you to not believe it. But you aren't in a position to be absolute about it either.

You can. But you aren't going to get anywhere. How would I gather evidence for seeing him or smelling Pears soap? I don't think scratch and sniff monitors exists yet. Secondly, why would I want to gather evidence of it? To suit what purpose and whose narrative? Not mine. I know what I experienced and saw. I can't tell you what it was or was not. And that's all there was to it.

10. Bells Staff Member

Then shut down the Fringe section, religion, politics, etc, sections?

None of them are scientific or fall under the "sci" banner.

Then do so?

No one is saying you shouldn't critically analyse anything James. I merely pointed out that MR is free to believe as he wishes and you are free to believe as you wish. You aren't going to change his mind and he's not going to change yours. He's not trying to convert anyone. He's posting about things that interest him and what he believes in. You don't have to agree with him or believe as he does. So, what now?

Perhaps you should consider why the Fringe section exists to begin with.

Last time I checked, MR wasn't claiming to be a Nigerian prince offering an unknown inheritance from an unknown relative in Nigeria and asking people for their bank details to transfer the funds.

Well thankfully you didn't post that in the religion forum, of you'd have pitchforks and torches being lit in your honour!

People believe what they want to believe, James, because it gives them hope and brings them comfort. If MR thinks he saw his mother's ghost and it gave him comfort and closure, then that is terrific for him! Who am I to come and criticise him because I don't believe in ghosts and have a whine about why he isn't applying critical thinking skills to his own personal experience or he believes the experiences of others? Who are you to do so? Who would I be to do so? He's not infringing on anyone's rights, he's not harming anyone.

I guess, it comes down to having empathy, James. Especially when it comes to this subject matter.

So much for empathy, eh James?

Is it only crazy people who hallucinate or have delusions? No. It's actually a very common experience across all cultures and societies and can be caused by a variety of things. But that's neither here nor there.

Perhaps that's how you find comfort in the world around you James.

I'll address the other posts later.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

For a long time scientists didn't believe rocks could fall from the sky. (see link below). But the reports of people witnessing such a phenomena kept coming in. No doubt the same "rigorous" standards were applied to their accounts as to other anomalous experiences: people are stupid and gullible and superstitious and there has never been any scientific verification of such a phenomena. Then one day in 1803 thanks to the research of physicist Ernst Chaladni it was finally acknowledged that the phenomenon was real and caused by meteorites falling from space. Amazing what happens when a persistent phenomena experienced by thousands over hundreds of years is finally acknowledged to be real and worthy of research. Here's another paper by Ian Stevenson on apparitional experiences and their frequency among the general population. In it he examines in detail 6 modern eyewitness accounts of apparitions. Clearly the phenomenon is real and not hallucinatory. And the evidence lies in the matching details of the accounts.

"The early investigators of paranormal phenomena, in the late 19th century, gave much attention to "hallucinations" occurring in ostensibly healthy persons. The term "apparitions" became applied to perceptions of persons who were not physically present to the percipient. The investigators attached special importance to apparitional experiences that either coincided with the death of the perceived person or contained verified details of which the percipient had no normal knowledge. In recent decades interest in apparitions on the part of investigators has greatly diminished, but this is not because the experiences no longer occur. A 1948 survey in Great Britain reported that 14.3% of respondents had had such an experience and a 1979 survey in the United States gave an even higher figure of 17%. This paper reports the investigations of six modern apparitional experiences occurring in the United States and the United Kingdom between 1955 and 1989. The percipients were interviewed in the 1980s and 1990s. Corroboration before verification was only obtainable in one case. Other confirmatory information, such as death certificates, was, however, obtained for some cases. In four of the six cases the experience coincided with the death of the perceived person or occurred close to the time of the death. In the other two cases the percipient saw a deceased relative of a dying person just before the death of that person."---- https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual...paritional-Experiences-Stevenson-JSE-1995.pdf

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...ped-establish-existence-meteorites-180963017/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

MR, unfortunately I don't think you can claim that "the phenomenon is real and not hallucinatory" from the paper. There is nothing in the report that indicates either way, and I don't think the paper ever tries to answer that question. It acknowledges an experience, not the mechanism. And while there could be a link between a death and the experience - most obviously in the cases of grief after losing that someone - this does not equate to the reality of apparitions being visitation from the afterlife, for example, and not some manifestation of one's sub-conscious. It simply provides a possible link - in some cases - between the grief / death, and the experience - not what that experience is actually caused by.

That there is a phenomenon that some people experience is not in question. But as to what it is, what it is that is actually happening, that is unanswered. It could be that the apparitions are manifestations of those who have died, or it could be that the experience is simply inside the mind of the one experiencing it, whether a misinterpretation of what they are actually seeing, or some other reason. Remember, mirages exist, but the water that it might appear as does not. There is no evidence that the apparitions are what they appear to be, but that does not negate the phenomenon of whatever gives rise to that interpretation.
    The paper you linked to does a job at suggesting there may be something worth researching more deeply, but it is stuck with anecdotal evidence, and that is never going to convince anyone of the reality of what is going on. That's the key thing that distinguishes this paper/area of research from that done when meteorites fell to earth: in the latter they had actual rock to examine. Actual physical evidence of something. We have none of that with apparitions. At least not yet.

Also, please don't think that just because a proven phenomenon was previously unproven (e.g. meteorites) that all currently unproven phenomena (or even just the one you're touting here) will therefore one day be similarly proven. For every proven phenomenon there are countless ones that will forever remain the realm of fantasy. The question is: is yours the latter, and if not, how are you going to show that it is not, when all there seems to be is anecdotal evidence? Again, the phenomenon that people experience what they interpret as apparitions is not in question, but that doesn't explain what is actually happening.

Anyhoo - my intention is not to discourage you here, just to keep the matter somewhat grounded, and not to let you claim "proof!" of something where I don't think it actually lies.
    So, carry on.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Actually in another paper Stevenson does a good job of providing evidence that these apparitions are not just hallucinations but are physically present figures. (see below). One of them is that they are sometimes seen by more than one person. In the case of Bell's experience, both her and her husband saw the apparition of her father. That rules out hallucination for me. Hallucinations are very unique and random glitches of a malfunctioning brain. The odds are against the same hallucination happening in both Bell's and her husband's brain. Also bear in mind that Bell's and her husband's experience involved multiple sensory modalities. It was seen. It was heard talking and coughing. It was felt embracing her. And it was smelt as the scent of pear soap which her father always used. I find that further confirmation that the apparition was real and objective. It would not surprise if sometimes a particularly distressed brain might hallucinate a dead relative. As I pointed out, that's basically an unfalsifiable proposition. But other cases, as in the one in the OP where she has a full on conversation with her dead friend before she even knew he had committed suicide, point to a real phenomenon beyond that and that it is an encounter with a real objective entity.

https://www.sciforums.com/threads/bereavement-apparitions.166311/page-4#post-3726419

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“No matter how honest scientists think they are, they are still influenced by various unconscious assumptions that prevent them from attaining true objectivity. Expressed in a sentence, Fort's principle goes something like this: People with a psychological need to believe in marvels are no more prejudiced and gullible than people with a psychological need not to believe in marvels.”
    ― Colin Wilson, Mysteries

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I used to faithfully watch the A&E television series "Celebrity Ghost Stories". It's probably one of the things that convinced me over the years of the reality of life after death. One of the eyewitness accounts of the paranormal that has stuck with me over the years is actress Rue McClanahan's experience of an afterdeath enounter with her recently deceased friend Rill. Check it out for yourself. Her interview starts at the 1: 05: 26 mark. Anecdotal? Absolutely! And powerfully so!

17. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

In person, and reading online, I've encountered people recounting from their drug experimentation days how they and a group of their fellow users, on occasion, experienced the same hallucinations. Arguably a form of shared psychosis .

Unfortunately, there's apparently very little if investigative interest in it, anymore.

Even the old "mass hallucination" phrase seems to have been absorbed into mass psychogenic illness, which focuses more on socially transmitted eccentric behaviors and symptoms rather than collective illusory experiences of a group.

Consider that we at least do accept that multiple neurons or regions of electrochemical activity in the brain can participate in the same conscious experience when they are rigidly coordinated with each other (NCCs). Which could speculatively spiral into allowing a China Brain situation[1], and perhaps a spin-off context where a loose collection of individuals could happen to fall into the "correct choreography" for similarly summoning or conjuring a group manifestation of whatever shared _X_.

IOW, this is what happens when an academic community has little serious interest in explaining phenomenal consciousness to begin with. Beyond a superficial "it just happens" when the supposedly correct dance is performed by the active components of a brain, computer, clockwork mechanism, hydraulic system, etc. When the door is indifferently left open for any proselytizing rival -- with a supposedly deeper and less ambiguous or less inhibited or less cowardly insight -- to stray in and fill the void.

So I expect that if "collective anomalous experiences" should ever be validated as literally being the case (to the community's satisfaction), then those likewise would simply be left hanging in terms of a sufficient explanation. Just as with our individual, private, unshared experiences being deemed as brutely emerging from plural entities. That the former, too, "just reliably happen" when a group of druggies accidentally fall into the correct template of coherence, or a group of believers get-in sync for Jesus to divinely appear, or the dead parade by due to a chance proper alignment of mutual grief, etc.

All due to a curiosity and drive to explain phenomenal consciousness (of any kind) further than that being quashed by a cruder apprehension of what Eric Schwitzgebel calls "Crazyism" (below). Where it's anticipated that any truly sufficient reason (successful explanation) of the manifestation aspect of consciousness will be crazy. And thereby that being the barrier which good scientists and philosophers loyal to tradition do not want to cross. The flag of "It just reliably happens" (and that's it) being waved till the sun expands red.

Or perhaps caricaturing the situation in this way is a method of venting frustration, along with the tentative ridicule trying to (futilely) prod progress to finally happen, or a backbone to develop in the community.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Crazyism
    https://www.consciousentities.com/2012/01/crazyism/

EXCERPT: Eric Schwitzgebel has done a TEDx talk setting out his doctrine of crazyism. [...]

The claim, briefly is that any successful theory of consciousness – in fact, any metaphysical theory – will have to include some core elements that are clearly crazy. “Crazy” is taken to describe any thesis which conflicts with common sense, and which we have no strong epistemic reason for accepting.

Schwitzgebel defends this thesis mainly by surveying the range of options available in philosophy of mind and pointing out that all of them – even those which set out to be pragmatic or commonsensical – imply propositions which are demonstrably crazy.

I think he’s right about this; I’ve observed myself in the past that for any given theory of consciousness...

- - - footnote - - -

[1] “If Materialism Is True, the United States Is Probably Conscious” (Eric Schwitzgebel): There seems to be no principled reason to deny entityhood to spatially distributed but informationally integrated beings. The United States can be considered as a concrete, spatially distributed but informationally integrated entity. Considered as such, the United States is at least a candidate for the literal possession of real psychological states, including phenomenal consciousness or subjective experience. The question, then, is whether it meets plausible materialistic criteria for consciousness. My suggestion is that if those criteria are liberal enough to include both small mammals and weird alien species that exhibit sophisticated linguistic behavior, then the United States probably does meet those criteria. The United States is massively informationally interconnected and responds in sophisticated, goal-directed ways to its surroundings. Its internal representational states are functionally responsive to its environment and not randomly formed or assigned artificially from outside by the acts of an external user. And the United States exhibits complex linguistic behavior, including issuing self-reports and self-critiques that reveal a highly-developed ability to monitor its evolving internal and external conditions.
    _

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Folie à deux (French for "folly of two"), also known as shared psychosis[2] or shared delusional disorder (SDD), is a rare psychiatric syndrome in which symptoms of a delusional belief, and sometimes hallucinations,[3] are "transmitted" from one individual to another."

IOW, there is a prior transmission or contagion of beliefs and/or delusions among the members that triggers the occurrence of common or similar hallucinations. There is no such transmission in the case of percipients of afterdeath apparitions. In Bell's case for instance both her and her husband didn't even believe in ghosts. IOW, there was no prior delusional state or drugs that would cause hallucinations, much less the same one in both her and her husband. The apparitions usually appear unexpectedly to normal people going about their daily lives. So no...no "shared psychosis" I'm afraid.

19. Bells Staff Member

But we shouldn't discount the fact that we were grieving when we experienced this.

I'm not going to lie, I was in a pretty bad place before and after my father passed away. I'd experienced grief before, but nothing like this. I was exceptionally close to my father, I cared for him during his illness. I bore the brunt of everything he went through, firstly to protect my mother as much as I could from it, and that became even more important after she herself was diagnosed with a CNS lymphoma. Secondly, because I wanted to make sure that he was supported and would never feel he had to keep his feelings about his impending death internally. I was grieving from the moment his cancer was diagnosed as terminal and they could no longer try to contain it, as he had developed a life threatening infection, which meant his regular chemo and avastin treatment had to stop, which resulted in his cancer basically exploding and spreading everywhere. I was also under a tremendous amount of stress and mental strain. I was severely depressed and at times, even suicidal. The only reason I did not die with my father is because of my children, my husband and my mother, who all needed me. I simply could not bear the thought of losing my dad. That is what it boiled down to.

In the final months of my father's life, I was trying to do everything I could to give him what he wanted. My father had not wanted to die in the hospital, he wanted to die at home. He could no longer eat or swallow solid food, due to the tumours that were then pressing on his oesophagus, so to stop him from fading away (he'd lost half his body weight by this point and looked like a skeleton and he was wearing clothes from the kids section), I spent weeks, mostly nights, researching bone broths and soups that he could swallow, and try to maintain his weight and slow the weightloss. I was getting less than 2 hours sleep in a 24 hour period. Then a week before he passed away, we knew he would not see past 2 weeks by that point, we had organised for him to die at home. A hospital bed was ordered, a palliative nurse came in daily to help manage his pain (and he was in so much pain, he would scream into a pillow), because he could no longer swallow his pain medication, so he had to have injections. At that point, the only sleep I was getting was less than an hour and was during when the nurse was there for the short periods she was there, and even then, it was plagued by nightmares of what was to come. Then a week before he died, it was 3am, and during the night, managing his pain was left up to me. It meant changing his nappy, taking care of his colonoscopy bag while he was unconscious, giving him the injections.. And he started to do the death rattle. And I had a complete mental breakdown as I realised I could not do this, that my husband and I couldn't do this and I faced the prospect of doing something my father had been against for his death - he did not want to die in the hospital. But that breathing sound was so loud, it echoed through the entire house. We had an injection to reduce the chances of it happening, and the nurse had told us to use however much we wanted, to not use this stuff sparingly, I used the sage swab to try to absorb the moisture in his mouth and near the back of his throat, but it didn't help. And all I could think in that moment was 'this is going to scar my children for life' and I broke down. Completely and utterly broke down because I found myself in the position of having to choose my children's mental health vs my father's dying wish.

I was obsessed with giving him what he wanted. The guilt I felt when the nurse arrived first thing the next morning and helped prepare him to transfer back to the palliative care ward, and the guilt I felt when we got there.. The guilt I felt as I sobbed by his bedside, begging him to forgive me for not being able to cope with his dying at home. There are no words. I know my father would have been horrified that he'd put me through that. At the time, he was consumed with what he knew was coming and he wasn't able to see or even understand clearly what was going on around him. His brain was already in shutdown mode and it was preparing him for the end of his life. Not to mention that my family had spent days harassing and abusing me for my atheism, for not giving him what he wanted, for the fact that I had supported him when he tried to request euthanasia (my father did not want to linger as he ended up lingering) to die with dignity, which was not legal at the time.

The reason I am telling you this, MR, is to get you to understand that when I felt him hug me, when I saw him, when I smelled his soap, I was under a tremendous amount of mental distress, strain, exhaustion and I was grieving in a way that actually shocked me and ultimately, resulted in my needing over 2 years of therapy to get past everything that happened. My husband was also under a lot of strain, stress and was grieving himself and he was terrified watching me go through this and at the time, I was not open to considering therapy for myself, because I couldn't imagine leaving my father alone to even attend an appointment. I don't understand why the nurse smelled something in that room, maybe there was a smell there. But she'd cared for him before and knew him for close to a year, as my father had been in and out of that ward to treat his infection and for pain management. So it's possible she was having her own moment.

The brain is very good at doing everything it can to shield us from further harm. When children are abused and/or face severe trauma, it can essentially lead to dissociative identity disorder. And occurs to protect the child, to allow them to mentally escape the ongoing trauma and/or abuse they are experiencing. Did we hallucinate? Possibly. Was he actually there? Possibly. Given the state of our mental health at the time, particularly mine, it's not shocking or surprising that I had these experiences. That my brain was trying to do things to give me comfort, to try to prevent further harm would not be surprising during that time. I absolutely experienced things when my father died, and I can't explain any of it. In the same way that I told James that he wasn't in any position to tell me what it was not, no one is really in a position to tell me what absolutely was. At the end of the day, we live and die by our experiences. We are free to believe as we wish when it comes to these matters. I will say, if you find comfort in believing in an afterlife, then I am really happy for you. What I request is when considering these sorts of experiences, to factor in everything else. If you still elect to believe in them and particularly, because it brings you comfort, then that is up to you and how you wish to deal with grief, loss and pain. I am not going to argue with you to try to take that away from you and no one should. These beliefs are entirely personal. Yes, people will disagree with you, some will mock you, some will disregard you because of it. But ultimately, you can only go with what you believe to be true to yourself. But just be mindful that because it is entirely personal, not everyone will agree with you, or believe as you do. We will never be 100% sure that ghosts exist. In the same way you ask people to consider the possibility, you should also consider other possibilities. In all of this, I am truly sorry for your loss MR. Losing a parent is a horrible experience and I am happy that you were able to find something that brought you comfort after she passed away. Take care of yourself.

Magical Realist likes this.