Bereavement apparitions..

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Stories abound of people encountering loved ones who have recently passed away. I myself had a couple of synchronicities happen to me after my mom died. We had agreed before her passing that she would make contact somehow with me. But not to appear at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night! She came thru and gave a couple of powerful signs to me to say goodbye. I am at peace that she has moved on and is in the afterlife. Here's a brief article on this phenomenon.

Bereavement Apparitions
    Do loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave?

Death doesn't sever the connection between loved ones, say people who've experienced so-called crisis apparitions.

CNN —
    Nina De Santo was about to close her New Jersey hair salon one winter’s night when she saw him standing outside the shop’s glass front door.

It was Michael. He was a soft-spoken customer who’d been going through a brutal patch in his life. His wife had divorced him after having an affair with his stepbrother, and he had lost custody of his boy and girl in the ensuing battle.

He was emotionally shattered, but De Santo had tried to help. She’d listened to his problems, given him pep talks, taken him out for drinks.

When De Santo opened the door that Saturday night, Michael was smiling.

“Nina, I can’t stay long,” he said, pausing in the doorway. “I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for everything.”

They chatted a bit more before Michael left and De Santo went home. On Sunday she received a strange call from a salon employee. Michael’s body had been found the previous morning – at least nine hours before she talked to him at her shop. He had committed suicide.

If Michael was dead, who, or what, did she talk to that night?

“It was very bizarre,” she said of the 2001 encounter. “I went through a period of disbelief. How can you tell someone that you saw this man, solid as ever, walk in and talk to you, but he’s dead?”

Today, De Santo has a name for what happened that night: “crisis apparition.” She stumbled onto the term while reading about paranormal activities after the incident. According to paranormal investigators, a crisis apparition is the spirit of a recently deceased person who visits someone they had a close emotional connection with, usually to say goodbye.

Reports of these eerie encounters are materializing in online discussion groups, books such as “Messages” – which features stories of people making contact with loved ones lost on September 11 – and local ghost hunting groups that have sprung up across the country amid a surge of interest in the paranormal.

Although such encounters are chilling, they can also be comforting, witnesses and paranormal investigators say. These encounters suggest the bond that exists between loved ones is not erased by death.

“We don’t know what to do with these stories. Some people say that they are proof that there’s life after death,” said Steve Volk, author of “Fringe-ology,” a book on paranormal experiences such as telepathy, psychics and house hauntings read more here www.cnn.com/…

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...ences-What-are-Bereavement-Apparitions-x1f311

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    cluelusshusbund and C C like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I am wary about intruding on beliefs you have surrounding your mother's death. However, you brought certain matters into this conversation to try to support a certain point of view that you have. I have some reservations about that point of view.

So, let me be clear from the start: I do not deny that you experienced something following your mother's death. Nor do I deny that whatever it was that you experienced probably had strong emotional resonances for you.

I cannot 'debunk' what you experienced, nor do I want to. However, as usual with these kinds of things, I have some questions. I assume that in posting this thread, you wanted to have a discussion of some sort, because this is a discussion forum, not a blog. So, while you're under no obligation to answer any of my questions, I'm still going to post them. Other readers might like to consider them.
    Yes. Stories. Anecdotes.
    How do you tell the difference between a "synchronicity" and a coincidence?
    She "came thru"? What does that mean? Was it in the form of thoughts and feelings and memories in your head, or a physical manifestation?

Why do you believe that her "coming thru" was not just an experience your own mind conjured up?

You said you received "powerful signs". May I inquire what they were? Could they have only come from your mom?
    I'm glad you're at peace. I wouldn't want to intrude on unresolved grief with impertinent questions.
    Lots of people believe similar things to what you believe, and some people report similar experiences. But is that solid evidence that "loved ones bid farewell from beyond the grave"? I mean, it's a big claim. I'd like something more than a bunch of anecdotes before I'll accept it.
    Good question.

The problem here is: we have only her story. Did anybody else, apart from her, see Michael talking to Nina in the salon, after Michael was dead?

It seems that, actually, we don't have any evidence (so far) that Nina talked to anybody in her shop on that night, other than her claim that she did.

What are we supposed to take away from this article, then? Somebody claims they saw a ghost? That's hardly earth-shattering news.
    How into paranormal activities was she before the incident? Knowing that might possibly shed some light on matter.
    When did this supposed "surge of interest" start, and why? How was the surge measured?
    That's not the only thing these 'encounters' could suggest, though. Where is the discussion of the other possibilities?
    "Some people say they are proof..."

Okay. Well, one thing we can say for sure is that this collection of anecdotal evidence cannot possibly amount to proof of life after death. It isn't even good evidence for life after death. So, those people who say that are demonstrably wrong, about that much at least.

Do you agree?

TheVat likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Everybody's experiences are relayed in anecdotes or accounts. Even yours. They are firsthand descriptions of what happened to them. But we don't just dismiss them because they present no evidence of it. We accept the accounts as genuine and accurate because there is simply no reason to think they are making it up or are delusional. Such is the moving and compelling story posted here. It's a stunning confirmation of a well-known phenomenon that occurs again and again all over the world (see link below). I'm sorry you have to dismiss it out of hand to protect your skeptical belief system. But it doesn't affect the authenticity and credibility of the account itself in the least.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-darkness/202204/encounters-the-time-death

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

EXCERPT: "I’m not entirely sure how to interpret these experiences. However, they are certainly a reminder that—as I have pointed out in my book Spiritual Scienceour culture’s standard materialist worldview is inadequate."​

"Our culture." (Western or WEIRD - Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich and Democratic)

The question of their therapeutic value arises, which in turn may rub shoulders with being inclusive about non-Eurocentric values, standards, orientations and methods. (I.e., that's the political backdoor to a degree of acceptance and enhanced epistemological status for these type affairs in the future.)

If cultures of population groups and regions formerly oppressed by Western colonialism and hegemony should feature apparitional experiences as part of their community traditions and practices -- especially with respect to spirituality and well-being...

Then I suppose the academic world must respectfully accommodate them in some fashion, similar to how it does indigenous science, native origin stories, etc.[1] As part of the social justice and decolonization protocol for the West purging itself of guilt (past injustices slash atrocities it committed) and remedying the "menace" of privileged hierarchies (in both social and knowledge contexts).

However, since Christianity was an instrumental part of the Western oppression of other societies, analysts and skeptics can probably (for the time being at least), still critically evaluate death-related experiences (etc) crouched in that religious domain without having to heed outcries of Western chauvinism and discrimination.

- - - footnote [1]- - -

Adapting traditional healing values and beliefs into therapeutic cultural environments for health and well-being
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8744804/

[...] better overall health and well-being outcomes, the Western model mainly focuses on treating symptoms. [...] The holistic nature of a Māori view of health contributes to understanding the interrelationship of mind, body, spirit, and place as the basic tenets of life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Science creep is a menace
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/2885925/science-creep-is-a-menace/

According to Thorp’s definition, even anti-science groups and outright quacks who promulgate dangerous disinformation could also be said to be participating in “science communication” and therefore be “scientists.”

What is a scientist?
    https://holdenthorp.substack.com/p/who-is-a-scientist?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

Anyone who thinks the Lakota authors are not scientists just because they don’t have a bunch of credentials doesn’t really understand how science works. [...] Following the success of Braiding Sweetgrass, indigenous science is starting to get the attention it deserves.

Defending science against social justice dogmatism and identitarianism
    https://skepticalinquirer.org/2024/...social-justice-dogmatism-and-identitarianism/

A piece in Scientific American magazine about biotech crops stated bluntly: “At its base, GM [genetically modified] crops are rooted in a colonial-capitalist model of agriculture based on theft of Indigenous land and on exploiting farmers’ and food workers’ labor, women’s bodies, Indigenous knowledge and the web of life itself”.

Decolonization of knowledge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decolonization_of_knowledge

Spirituality and religious diversity in nursing: a scoping review
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9498726/

Spirituality is a common theme in the field of healthcare research. This study aimed to examine nurses’ perceptions of spirituality in the context of the religious diversity of patients in pluri-religious settings...

[...] Spirituality is a common theme in healthcare research and on healthcare professionals worldwide, and it constitutes one of the six quality of life domains in the World Health Organization Quality of Life Instrument (World Health Organization, 2012). Spiritual diversity is widespread due to the existence of pluri-religious societies worldwide. Consequently, nurses commonly care for patients from diverse religious backgrounds. According to the literature, people with and without religious convictions report the need for and benefits of spiritual support in healthcare. Growing attention to spiritual aspects of care exists even within highly secular societal environments. Worldwide, nurses’ interest in spiritual care is increasing.

[...] There is a need for studies on spirituality in the healthcare setting, especially nursing, in Asian countries and in diverse ethnocultural and practice contexts.

Understandings of spirituality and its role in illness recovery in persons with schizophrenia and mental-health professionals: a qualitative study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4818963/

INTRO: Spirituality has received increased attention in the psychiatric literature; however, it remains underexplored on a global level. Knowledge about spirituality of persons with schizophrenia is often hampered by positive and negative symptoms, which limit their expression of spiritual needs and shift mental-health professionals’ focus from spiritual care to symptom control. Differences in the ways that the two parties understand spirituality may create different expectations and further hinder the provision of high-quality holistic care. This study investigated the meaning and roles of spirituality from the perspectives of persons with schizophrenia and mental-health professionals.

Both clients and professionals regarded spirituality as an inherent part of a person’s well-being, clients’ rehabilitation, and their lives in general. At the personal level, the clients’ descriptions were more factual, concrete, short term, and affective, whereas the professionals’ descriptions were more abstract, complex, and cognitive. At the communal level, both parties had a similar understanding of spirituality but different interpretations of its role in recovery from mental illness. The clients regarded spirituality as a source of giving and receiving love and care, whereas the professionals regarded it as a means of receiving support and managing symptoms.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:
    Correct. If I told you I saw a ghost or and alien spaceship or the Loch Ness monster, you would be right to be skeptical - not to mention wise.
    Nobody has dismissed anything. Here's what I wrote, just above:

So, let me be clear from the start: I do not deny that you experienced something following your mother's death. Nor do I deny that whatever it was that you experienced probably had strong emotional resonances for you.

I cannot 'debunk' what you experienced, nor do I want to. However, as usual with these kinds of things, I have some questions.
    Why did you ignore that? And why did you ignore all the actual questions I asked you?
    On the contrary, there are very good reasons to think they might be making it up or imagining it. In fact, the lack of external, independent corroborating evidence in itself points in that direction.
    All it confirms is that some small fraction of people report similar "spiritual" experiences that they interpret according to their own personal inclinations, their religious and/or cultural upbringing etc.

It does nothing to confirm that there's life after death. But you already know that, don't you? You just won't admit it.
    Again, you know that I did not "dismiss it out of hand". I was very clear in post #2, above. Now, I'm thinking you didn't even bother reading it properly. You just knee-jerked and denied, as usual.
    Again, as you are fully aware, I did not question the "authenticity" of the accounts. Credibility, sure. Of course, you personally set the lowest possible bar for what you consider credible. You're utterly gullible, as you have demonstrated again and again.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

C C:
    Inadequate for what?
    The question of whether some people can gain an emotional benefit from holding a belief is a separate one from the question of whether the content of the belief is actually true.

Doubtless, belief in religion and superstitition can give people a sense of comfort or reassurance. The mind is a powerful thing. There can be flow-on effects on physical wellbeing. (See, for example, the well-studied placebo effect.) But that doesn't mean the beliefs themselves are based on true facts about the world.
    "Accommodate them in some fashion" leaves a very wide range of options open.

Again, there is a difference between questioning whether the "apparitional experiences" are true (in the sense of relating to objective existence about spiritual entities in the world) and oppressing people by trying to forbid them from holding the beliefs they hold and/or censoring or suppressing the expression of those beliefs. The two things should not be confused.
    The question of whether any spiritual realm or beings actually exist in reality is independent of who is asserting the existence. It doesn't much matter whether it's a Western Christian or an African shaman. What is true about the world is not culturally relative. Only the beliefs about what is true are culturally relative.

I'm as against cultural suppression, hegemony and censorship of free speech as the next man, but let's not pretend that every belief must be accepted as representative of a truth about the world, just to show cultural respect.
    If, in fact, it can be demonstrated that the Maori (or any other) view of health results in demonstrably better health outcomes for patients, then the particular practices that lead to the superior outcomes should be adopted into scientific medicine. Clearly, we all want the best health care system we can make.

This does not mean that we need to accept as true any particular metaphysical assumptions that might be used to justify the health practices.
    This is straying quite far off the topic of this thread. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with this.

This is you putting the "other" side of the argument you just made?
    A topic for a different thread, perhaps?
    Again, this sounds like the authors are advocating for scientific studies of the impacts of spiritual beliefs and practices on healthcare outcomes. That's all well and good.
    This is interesting, and it points to a more general problem: there is no consensus on what "spiritual" actually means. It tends to mean lots of different things to different people. For some secular types it might mean little more than feeling an intimate connection to the physical world, for instance. For a deeply religious person, it might encompass strong beliefs that there are gods, angels, spirits and demons. For a New Age practitioner, it might mean using "crystal power" to become one with the Cosmos.

Imagine three people who identify in these ways. What will they agree on, regarding "spirituality"? It seems likely that there will not be much common ground, despite the fact that they all use the same word.
    That is all interesting. A typical descriptive sociological study.

What point did you want to communicate, with this?

C C likes this.
  10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

That's a question for Steve Taylor -- it's his article that MR provided the link to. What I emphasized and proceeded from was it being a view ascribed to "our culture", where he's possibly suggesting that this is some kind of relativistic matter.

The point or goal (for such movements) is just to get the "experiences" smuggled in for a higher status of respect, by whatever means. If a context of "emotional benefit" alone can accomplish that, then that's fine. But the addition of ideology is probably going to be required for some of the heavy lifting (which is influentially already in progress, anyway).

If that distinction allows this or whatever _X_ to enter the mainstream or for science to become "co-partners" with items like indigenous science, then all the better. Again, the initial method of infiltration may not matter in the long run since it is an incremental process of seduction, anyway.

Or even without demonstration. When social morality (the "structural oppression" diagnosis) is the tail wagging or chastising the dog, then it is achieving radical parity of both individuals and cultures that matters. The world as it ought to be, rather than supposedly is (to onerous Eurocentric standards).

William Reville (the biochemist): "Science is based only on evidence and logic. No genuine scientific conclusion can be “good”, “bad”, “sexist”, “racist” etc – only true or false. The PC a priori rejection of scientific investigations on moral grounds is anti-scientific. Science describes the world as it is; PC describes the world as PC thinks it ought to be."

The footnote section pertains to the overall picture of what [1] was placed beside in the reply above the footnote section. The latter in turn connects to the potential "culture" matter that Taylor introduced. Which MR (the starter of the thread) provided.

It's an example of the Western oppression meme being deployed, for the benefit of those oblivious to much of what transpires in the political and humanities arena. (I could also add "for those in denial", but obviously to be in that state to begin with means that one is cognitively and fundamentally non-receptive to information in that regard to begin with. I.e., it is futility to provide anything for that population segment.)

And the more ambiguous "spiritual" or "spirituality" is, the better. As far as importing various items (one of which this topic concerns) through that gate that the Old Guard might have once barred or strictly monitored.

That growing interest in "spirituality" (the papers and their excerpts) is an available portal into the science publishing community, for potentially bootlegging "apparitions of whatever kind" through, especially should they be a Western persecuted feature of one's traditional culture. Not just for any claims that might be crouched in Abrahamic ilk. Again, the latter has limited potency, anyway, since its missionary endeavors were a cohort of Western colonization and subjugation of regional societies. Which is not to say that may change in the future, as decolonization of knowledge progresses, evolves, and globally disseminates. (IOW, even some conservative Christians may give up and jump into the club to enjoy any protective advantages it eventually secures.)
    _

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  11. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Sorry you lost your mum.

This is a well documented phenomenon, about 1 in 8 have an experience.
    A part of the grieving process.
    Splitting from a loved one can have a similar effect.
    This phenomena was thought to have played a part in the resurrection claims in the NT.

I personally do not think the phenomena is an actual contact with a dead person.
    I do not think any element of the deceased persist after death bar the dead body.

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I think people should be able to ask questions of others who have had these experiences, and that calling the questioners mentally ill and paranoid seems to be an overreaction on a discussion forum.
    Sets a great atmosphere for 'discussion', especially when the incident has now been posted on the web 3 times in 9 years.
    Aug 2014

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Assuming you actually want to discuss the OP and are not just trolling users by digging up their old posts like you always do.

So tell me foghorn, do you believe every person who has a paranormal experience is lying about it? On what basis?

14. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

If I can just answer for me before Foghorn does.
    No one has to be lying, religious experience, paranormal and such.
    These people and yourself included can see and feel things that are a genuine real experience.

I thought I saw my ex, it very shocking, upsetting and put me on my arse at least three times.
    Looked like her, dressed like her moved like her. Similar possibly, dreamt about her nights previously possibly? She was already in my head and I didn't know it?
    Anyway it was not her,I felt stupid, sad angry.

It was totally real though. Losing somebody can play cruel tricks on your mind, if you want something bad enough.

Magical Realist likes this.
  15. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that.
    Would you call your experience supernatural if yes, then why.

What I mean there, is that you seem to have come to a conclusion it wasn’t, my bold above in quote." tricks on your mind"

Whereas MR would link it all in with his old cut & paste ghost photos and the afterlife of those passed over sending signs or messages back to the living.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  16. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

If she would have died, I would have still have Checked it definitely was not her even, though every part of the reasonable, logical part of me would have been saying, "it's not her, she's dead."
    The reason I posted was that the internal experience, is every bit as real as seeing a real person.
    From the outside, it's just a guy missing his girlfriend, seeing her in random women.

So no, not supernatural for me, I can explain it.
    I have the opinion that other people experience this with, sightings, ghosts or experiencing a loved one.
    We are pattern seeking mammals (not my phrase) we strive to make sense of things, putting familiar faces to strangers.

foghorn likes this.
  17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What about the many accounts, included in the OP and the posted link to the Psychology Today article, of people encountering loved ones or friends before they even know they have died. This is a common experience called "crisis apparitions" and certainly suggests something more than just wishful thinking.

18. TheVat Registered Member

Seeing a patch of water on a New Mexico highway is a firsthand description of a mirage I saw. No one dismisses the mirage as a genuine experience, but reasonable people may dismiss it as not a puddle of water. One needn't be delusional or mendacious to be wrong as to the objective nature of a phenomenon. If I claim it's water, I need to get a sample and produce it as evidence.

Also, emotionally fraught experiences coincide with ignoring Ockham's razor when an anomaly presents itself. We may prefer the non-Ockham option that soothes our grief over the one that requires no new physics or supernatural assumptions.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not lying. At least, not every person. Some do lie. But others are simply mistaken about thinking that their experience was "paranormal", when there's no good evidence for that.

If you'd read post #5, above, you would be aware that I already covered this.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  20. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

That succinctly captures what I am getting at.

Having experienced it, then having to demonstrate it to myself that I was wrong, I can empathize with those who that also see passed loved ones.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The fact remains is that if you told most people you saw a puddle on a New Mexico highway they'd probably believe you because most people trust your firsthand experience. It's just the way the world works. Always questioning what people tell us would make for a very lonely existence.

22. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

That is kind of the opposite of the scientific method. Doubt everything, even your own findings.
    Test, repeat, verify, other teams test in a different way.

Nothing wrong with the experience as I said, however question what is likely to be real.
    Take nothing on faith.

TheVat likes this.
  23. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

In a simulated reality... Meaningful coincidences (synchronicity), hallucinations, misinterpretations of perceptions, dreams, etc could occasionally be methods of the prior-in-rank level communicating anonymously with the intelligent agents (humans) residing in its product. Since avoiding flagrant disruption of a "natural" world's regulating principles and mechanistic processes would be of key importance.

"Enlightenment philosophers under the influence of Newtonian science tended to view the universe as a vast machine, created and set in motion by a creator being that continues to operate according to natural law without any divine intervention."​

Such covert interventions would allow the simulated agent to either be prodded in a particular direction or to derive some intended therapeutic value from the specious events, while those events still conformed to or worked within the bounds of the overall system. A rule in effect at the prior-in-rank level might be: "No outside intervention without it supervening on a material explanation or set of circumstances within the simulation (including those falling out of statistical probabilities)."

A crude or imperfect analogy might be the phenomenal experiences of consciousness itself. Where there are these private, anomalous manifestations which are concomitant with neural processes whose technical descriptions do not resemble what is experienced at all. These "sense and thought manifestations" are alien and intrusive with respect to the conventional character of matter, yet still deemed within the context of "natural" due to the strict correlation between the two (no experience without it supervening on biological activity).

But switching to this speculative territory of proposed apparitions and other oddities potentially plaguing the inhabitants of a simulated reality ... It would instead be personal meanings being projected upon the "natural explanations" underlying the pertinent coincidences, hallucinations, misinterpretations of perceptions, dreams, etc. (A relationship or outcome which the prior-in-rank level would anticipate or hope for, albeit the approach or method arguably susceptible to firing blanks at times.)
    _

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024