Believing in an afterlife

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Feb 20, 2024.

1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

How do you know?

Yes, religion came first.

We don't know that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Hindus have thousands of gods.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Really? Religion is an organized, encoded belief system.

How do you figure an organized, encoded belief system could arise prior to unorganized, personal, individual beliefs - from people who barely had language to spread their ideas, let alone writing?

Huh. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, suddenly you're all about "we don't have enough information to draw conclusions!"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I responded to someone who referred to his answer as religion. Who cares if it's religious belief or religion, you're just picking up on anything to get the last word.

What I responded to has no scientific evidence it was simply an assumption at best, a guess at worse.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

double post

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  9. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, with this social science ancient texts and pictures are interpreted by the modern human mind and not by the laws of physics.
    You may have more ancient texts showing the idea of an afterlife is religious, but what have you got that shows the actual origin of the idea was religious?

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'm fighting a losing battle. You can't know. If they did believe in a none theistic afterlife, how would we know?

So, we don't know is the answer.

11. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I'm not the one saying the pre-ancients could ONLY believe in a higher power afterlive.
    I don't care if the pre-ancients did believe in a non-deity afterlife, because how would we know if they did or not?
    Beliefs dressed as 'facts', then mixed with philosophy gets you houses built on sand.

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

We don't know. The fact is is there has been found idols of worship from 10s thousands of years ago, a tin god(archaeology which is a science, not sure why you compared it to physics) found in India springs to mind. There is no evidence for worship without deity.

That is why I talked about facts.

13. Zero Point Native Registered Member

It's impossible to provide scientific proof of a so-called "afterlife" because those realities exist on a frequency that is way beyond the capability of our current technology to measure them.

14. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

The question isn't does the afterlife exist, OP is do you believe in an afterlife.

EDIT: If you're referring to my scientific proof, it is the discovery(archaeology) of idols that the ancients had to believe in an afterlife.

15. Zero Point Native Registered Member

No, I don't.

16. foghorn Valued Senior Member

"to prove that afterlife belief went hand in hand with a divine belief"
    You now admit you have no knowledge of pre-ancient ideas of afterlife and the origins of their ideas:

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

We don't know if "pre-ancient" beings had a divine belief or not.

18. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And:
    You made the point: "The whole point was to prove"
    Now, you have admitted that you can't show if the pre-ancients had a non-deity idea of an afterlife.
    So, you haven't 'proven' the 'point'.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  19. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Because there would only be one and it wouldn't need to "mature". A perfect God would've gotten it right the first time.

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

What is perfect in this context? or rather "gotten it right"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I implied that as far back as we can tell, the afterlife seemed to be related to a divine being(s).

There isn't any evidence to suggest that the "pre ancients" believed in an afterlife.

22. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, it does not rule out the idea the pre ancients may have had a non deity afterlife belief? (Black swans)

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Do you rule out Jesus' resurrection?