Battlestar Galactica: Razor

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Battlestar Wiki notes, "During a Q&A session on the official Sci Fi channel Battlestar Galactica forum Ronald D. Moore notes that he already knows who the last Cylon is, and that he's already left clues as to who it is".

There is also a Season 4 entry allegedly containing spoiler information. I'm not scrolling down to see what's there; I have too much appreciation for how the writers are working this story to go and spoil it.

But then, what are the clues?

I'm voting against Adama because of a clue at the Wiki that fits the writing:

And there is also a reminder that neither Three nor Sharon recognized Anders as a Cylon, and that Centurions either do not recognize the Final Five, or are not programmed against shooting at them. I would opt for the idea that they don't recognize the five. It seems the Cylon matrix is very particular about hiding these identities; leaving those notes in centurion programming seems a security risk.

I did come up with a bizarre theory based on "Razor" and ... um ... one other episode. Anyway, that theory nominates Lee Adama. This theory would involve real—and not hallucinated—physical contact between the Hybrid and the young Captain Bill Adama, and the bizarre postulation that said contact infected Adama with a DNA-altering virus that did not so much affect him as his offspring. I haven't accounted for Zach Adama in this plot, but the other part is that Lee was projecting an environment while floating aimlessly through space, resigned to his impending death.

My other freaky "final Cylon" theory is Tom Zarek, simply because he is played by Richard Hatch.

But what are the actual clues? The only one I can think of is the obvious, that D'Anna was really rather surprised.

Enough of this. I'm getting silly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Flectarn Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Right, how did i forget about that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Further support for the speculation posted above, apparently, in a deleted scene the priestess Elosha "noted that the fall of Kobol and its civilization was due in part to a "jealous god"."

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Final_five

The phrase "jealous god" is directly out of the Bible, making me thing that its a reference to the Cylon "One True God."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sharon definitely had a half breed, but they acted like it was a big deal. And the experiments back on Caprica were, I thought, an attempt by the Cylons to overcome the breeding problem.

So it might be possible for Adama to breed even if he were a Cylon, but not likely. Especially not more than once.

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

So did Chief, in fact I think he and Cally have several.
    It might be significant that both hybrids were born out of extremely loving unions. Six has talked a lot about the inability to love being what seperates Cylons from humans and from God -- and then it might not be significant at all.

--Edit:

Nope, Wikipedia says only one.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Did they? Still, Boomers came first, and they did act like it was a really big deal. Perhaps there's been an upgrade and she was the first one to try out the new feature.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

No, my bad. And the "really big deal" could be just because nobody (apparently not even the D'anna cylon) knew his true nature, so nobody would have known that the child was a hybrid too.

Now with Plug and Play!

I vaguely remember Six saying something about the Sharon model being weak and possibly being retired...

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

She was just being catty.

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

I think she was just pissed because the fanboys like Boomer more.

13. superstring01 Moderator

OH yeah, I forgot, Tyrol is a "secret" Cylon and he had a kid two.

That makes TWO half breeds.

~String

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Now that is bizarre. I'm kind of a Six & Sharon fan.

I also like them individually.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Breeding, the Final Five, and what turns out to be a fairly random rant

Re: Breeding and the Final Five

To start with some notes from the Battlestar Wiki:

Battlestar Wiki notes that the Final Five are "fundamentally different models". Additionally, Colonel Tigh met Admiral Adama twenty years° after the first Cylon war, and apparently has a verifiable record in the Colonial Fleet dating back to the war. Thus, it would appear that Tigh has survived forty years as a human with no knowledge of his true nature.

This notion, of course, suggests a conflict with the recent feature-length Razor episode, which holds that Bill Adama witnessed experiments pioneering the first human-cylon hybrids. There is some sort of hidden fault line waiting to twist and shake the plot arc well beyond its current dimensions. It seems entirely possible at this point that the final five are and always have been human. How they become Cylon would be an interesting proposition in this context.

It is also possible that the Final Five evolved before the first Cylon War, and perhaps were, secretly, responsible for it. There is little to support this theory, but it would explain, for instance, Saul Tigh.

And something like that would also lend to any number of reasons that the Seven do not speak of the Final Five. There is a persistent, almost sublimated theme throughout the series by which the Cylons seem to be doing something very human: they are chasing God. And not just the abstract monotheistic "Cylon God", but they seek to be their creators, that is, humans. They have adopted human form, seek human reproduction, suffer human emotions, and, certainly, kill as humans do. In the viewers' world, prevalent theology says there is something amiss about seeking to imitate God so closely. It could be that the Seven do not speak of the Five because the Five have rejected the Seven. This could be for the imitation of humanity, with the five being somehow pious and wise by comparison. It could be for spiritual immaturity, with the Five preferring to forget their chrome-plated origins. They could be acting as invisible hands, exploiting the Seven as if they were effectively a slave class, in order to exact revenge against humanity. The record could, in some way, insult the egos of the Seven.

Or it could be that the Seven are, simply, inferior. What if the Five have, essentially, achieved humanity, and accept their humanity? What if the Second Cylon War, the destruction of the Colonies, was not so much revenge against humans as it was an attempt to eliminate the Final Five, who are viewed as waer-loga (oath-breakers, betrayers) for abandoning their still-evolving children? This would explain, in part, why, as Battlestar Wiki explains, "After activation, the four revealed Cylons are unaware of any thoughts like Boomer's Cylon directives other than that they are Cylons"; they have no specific programming against the Colonials.

This, of course, invites the question of why four of the Five activated simultaneously near the Ionian Nebula. Why there? What if the Lion's Head Beacon, which slew an entire Basestar, was left not by the Thirteenth Tribe, but the Final Five?

When I started this exploration, I was thinking of explaining the idea that the Final Five can breed as humans do, and that this suggests any number of reasons for the apparent divorce between the Five and the Seven.

Let the simple question of how the Five relate to the Seven be a testament to these writers. Raise a glass, and let's hope the Writers' Guild strike doesn't push the second half of season four into 2009.

It's late. I'm tired. I've given too much time to this already. I could, probably, go on forever. Be thankful I haven't any dope right now, else I would.

Notes:

° ... Colonel Tigh met Admiral Adama twenty years .... — The Analysis portion of the Battlestar Wiki entry for "Crossroads II" notes that "Saul Tigh has been known to physically exist for roughly 23 years as of this episode". While the Wiki also suggests that "there are no supporting non-Cylon witnesses to support his claim" (e.g., those witnesses are all dead), it seems that the Colonial Fleet recognized his existence and prior service when Major Bill Adama caused Tigh's reinstatement.

16. orcot Valued Senior Member

I've yust seen razor, in general it was a disappointment
    altough I liked the figure of kendra's.
    I yust don't see admiral cain as a convincing admiral, and I don't like kara thrace special destiny.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

An interesting theory I came across about the final five cylons:
    Why do the 4 (actually the 5) have to be recently created Cylons?

What precipitated the original Cylon uprising?

Were there original human form Cylons created secretly long ago in a human lab somewhere? Decades before the first Cylon War? (Too bad Caprica got shelved.)

Did they “get out” and start railing against opression of intelligent machines by humanity?

Did this get out of hand and turn into the uprising? The first war? And creation of the remaining human form Cylons following the war?

Did the original 5 feel guilty about their failure causing a war and generate a plan of how to try to rectify the situation? A plan that necessitated going so deep undercover that they deceived themselves?

A deception and guilt that tore at Tigh’s Cylon soul so pervasively he turned to drink?

This point in the series is the first time all four recently revealed Cylons have been in constant close proximity (on Galactica during the trial). It could be that they generated feedback amongst each other triggering their re-awakening which was pre-programmed for when they see an opportunity to redeem themselves and end the war between a flawed humanity and it’s immature children?
    http://mycropht.wordpress.com/2007/03/26/all-along-the-watchtower-bsg-style/
    This theory fits beautifully. It explains everything. From Tigh's alcoholism to the reason the other Cylons don't recognize the final five.