Battlestar Galactica: Best Show on TV

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Madanthonywayne:

I think it is owing to their conception of themselves as lifeforms and owing to their religion. Instead of downgrading themselves to machines, they elevate themselves to men.

But yes, we'd be f'ed up the a if that were the case.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

The hybrid reminded me of something I'd read in a series of works by Fred Saberhagen entitled Berserkers, in which arificial intelligence controlled war machines attempt to exterminate the human race. At one point, a Berserker facility is discovered wherein human-machine "fused" creatures are discovered. The explanation being that the human brain was such a great "computer" in proportion to its size that the mech-o's had attempted to utilize its capacity while eliminating the "erroneous bits", such as personality.
    Maybe that's the rationale for the cylons - or should I say the writers.
    LoL
    Still... one wonders why the human portion of the hybrid would be kept "awake". I mean - wouldn't sensory input be a distraction ?

I don't think it's time to find earth yet - unless they want to close out the thing with a bang this season. Something tells me the show is making too much $$$ for that.

It would be quite the conundrum for the whole shebang to just pop out of thin air, tho'...

Wat do you suppose the various religious fundies would make of it ?

Here's a point to ponder... (at least I am)
    Why didn't the cylons try to destroy the disease-ridden base ship ?
    Could it be simply that they thought it would never be found ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Holy frack!!!!

I have to wait another fracking week before I get to see what happens to boomer at the lion nebula. I'm used to just playing the next episode whenever I fracking feel like it. Frack!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

According to the religion, the humans were created on Kobol by the Lizard People. The LPs had advance technology using biology to create most of their devices. All of these devices were biologically alive, but the concept of life didn't really exist. They were just objects that were grown until they expired. The "lifespan" of these objects was no different than the lifespan of a toaster oven. You use it until it doesn't work anymore. A toaster oven has a lifespan, a car has a life span, and so do these biological objects. But these biological devices were not thought of to have life in any sense of the word as we know it.

The humans were nothing but a device created to work for the LPs. Suddenly, these devices got sick of it, and rebelled. There was a war for hundreds of years until the LPs got distinguished by these devices. Humans. Most all devices as we know them were created with an intentional expiration in order to make room for new devices. The expiration of each cell in all devices were marked by what we know today as the stem of a cell.

At that time, nobody had any sense of being alive. They were beings, but they knew they were created by the LPs to be devices. The lizards disposed of malfunctioning human beings like it was nothing. Just like disposing of a broken radio. But the humans were not too happy about being disposed of and used for lizard labor. After the rebellion, the humans picked out to be their new habitat. Of course in order to survive on earth, the humans would have to be design for that particular planet energized by that particular star. They redesigned the human form into what we look like today.

They poured the proper biological ingredients into the atmosphere of this planet which lead to the evolution of life on it. Plants started to appear, the gases on the planet became breathable air, and organisms evolved. This was the recipe for creating humans. They did this on various planets throughout the universe shaping humans into different forms according to the star system of qualifying planets. Kobol remained, until the humans occupying it finally became extinct. The other planets that the humans had qualified remain unknown. Some might have developed to an extent. Some may have full life.

Humans grew on earth, and found other planets that the original humans had infested. These planets were habitable, but yet not evolved for their own form of human beings for millions of years to come. The humans from earth decided to populate these planets creating the official 12 colonies.

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Killjoy:

You forget that they also worship these hybrids as prophets. Moreover, I imagine they are basically dead to all sensory input outside of their computer hook ups and are simply speaking nonsense words as a byproduct of it.

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    I thought SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED (LoL) said there was but a certain "sect" of toasters who paid the hybrid babblin's any attention...

ps -
    Why'd'ye think his Baltar-ness neglected to mention that apparently man-made gunk-laden object lying in the dead cylon base ship ?
    This guy's got angles within angles...
    LoL

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

After watching every single episode of this great show, they ruin the entire thing with the death of boomer’s baby momma. Not that I am upset that she got wacked. It is simply unrealistic, and totally impossible for the most protected person to die randomly, and get left with the baby on the floor. It's BULLCRAP. That had to be the weakest point of storytelling in the history of mankind. The story never explained how it happened.

As part of any normal strategy of them being the most important escapees, she and the baby should have been right there by president Laura’s side. Laura stressed how important it was for them to escape, so they naturally are the most protected of all people. It would have been totally improbably to the point of utter impossibility for any single person down there to escape before boomer’s baby momma and that bloody hybrid baby escaped safely.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

1. What was that weird hybrid thing? Where did it come from? What does it do?

2. What is the manmade device Gbaltar found on the infected cylon ship? How did the ship get out there, and how did it get infected?

3. What happened to that little kid that used to tag along with Boomer in the first few episodes of the first season?

4. They landed on earth in the episode when they brought the arrow key into the cave. How did those bastards get back home? Why didn’t they just get it over with, and send everybody through the portal to earth? All they had to do was send everybody to earth through that portal. Everybody lives happily ever after. Movie done. Or was it that they were never on earth, and it was some sort of illusion in the cave?

5. Why does the doctor and #6 keep seeing apparitions of each other?

6. Did they ever explain why chief was having dreams that made him beat Cally?

7. Who are these 5 mystery cylons? I think Gbaltar and Helen are cylons. Gbaltar most definitely. They show him die at the start of each episode for frack sakes.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lixluke:

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Boxy. The kid's name is Boxy. I think the character Boxy was Lee's adopted son in the 1978 version. Boxey appears in the first few episodes of the 2004 version as the kid that Boomer saved from Caprica, but we never see him again in the recurring eps. Did he die?

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I think the kid just got edited out. There are deleted scenes for the first season, and at least a few of them star the kid. His role was to be some kind of street-wise kid. He was selling bootleg booze in one scene. Picking locks in another. I forget which scenes were deleted and which made it in. He had some scenes where he had a bloody towel he got from Boomer's locker after one of her cylon events. Etc...

Basically, I suspect they threw him in just because he was a big part of the original show. The cutesy wootsy little kid. But, the new show went in a completely different direction. There wasn't any need for the cutesy wootsy kid. He kept getting edited out of shows. So why keep him around? Why waste film stock on him? Shitcan the little bastard.

Didn't he have a robot dog in the original series? I seem to recall having that action figure.

And weren't there green lizard people or something in the original? I seem to remember having that action figure as well. The only two Battlestar Galactica action figures I owned...

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I only saw a piece of the original show on You Tube. The Cylons were green lizard people that created the centurions to kill various races, and take over their planet. But then the centurions got intelligent, and killed their lizard creators in the same way they were killing everybody else. They also took the lizard form. They still had sort of the lust for killing other races as in their original program.

They were battling one alien race, when the humans came to the aid of those aliens. Eventually, the Cylons went to war with the humans of the 12 colonies. The Cylons managed to take human form as well. Baltar was one of the humans. Cylons promised to give him Caprica if he heled them take over the human race. Of course he helped them, and the Cylons didn't give him Caprica. Baltar began working for the Cylons.

I believe Baltar is a Cylon in the new series, but I cannot put my finger on this appirition of Six.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

At first, she tells Gaius that it is possible that Six placed a chip in his brain to implant herself into his mind. She eventually tell him that there is no chip, but that she is an angel. Gaius gets a brain scan, and discovers that there is no chip. His brain is completely clean. The Six Apparition confirms to Gaius that her mission on Earth was to infiltrate the defense system. Mission accomplished. She claims that all she wants is his love.

There are allegedly 12 Cylons, but only 7 have appeared so far. They do not know about the Six Appiration, but it is possible the other 5 Cylons are on a higher level, and know about them.

Six Appiration points out a strange Cylon device. She also pointed out a Cylon on the ship. Gaius makes up a total lie to accuse this individual as a Cylon without knowing if he really was a Cylon. His motivation for lying was that he did not want to just tell the staff that he noticed the Cylon device. To redirect suspicion, he first makes the claim that the individual is a Cylon, and claims he was fiddling with a strange device.

The above are facts. These are my speculations.
    This projection of her is his Cylon self. She possibly got implanted into him by higher level Cylons that secretly run the scene. That is how it was able to point out the device and the Cylon in the original pilot movie. He already knew because he was a Cylon. He also pointed out the exact building on the map where Apollo should attack on that asteroid.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Aha!
    No. Not the lizard people. They were apparently never shown in the original series.
    But the Ovions. They are an insect race enslaved by the cylons to work in the mines.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And here's the dog, Daggit:

Heh.
    The cylon Imperious Leader:

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I don't see nothing.

Who gave Adama the message that there were only 12 Cylons?

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Is the disease in the Lion Nebula related to the disease in the space station weapons depot in the pilot?

20. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lixluke:

"Six apparitions"?

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Excuse me?

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Interesting theory. Don't forget that the particular six that is in love with Gais also had her own apparition of Gais! How does that fit? She would have no need for a secret apparition, would she?