Battlestar Galactica: Best Show on TV

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Oct 21, 2006.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

If you remember the first episode (the miniseries), they underwent just such an event following the original war with the cylons. They still have prohibitions against networking computers.

In fact, the reason the Galacticca survived is it was a holdover from the days of low tech and just about to be decommisioned when the cylons attacked (which is why the secretary of education was sent, a low level bureacrat for the decomissioning of an old piece of crap ship). In the newer ships, the humans had given into the temptation to incorporate higher tech which left them wide open to attack by the cylons.

Of course, they apparently never went as far as Dune with outright prohibitions on "thinking machines" and the development of mentats.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

That's interesting! I actually didn't see the miniseries (and have been trying to find it to buy) and only started watching BSG when it became a series. In fact, I wouldn't have even done that, were it not fo rthe fact that I got a free trailer on a CD they were passing out at the movies.

I did know about the Battlestar being a close-to-decommisioned ship with old-tech predominating, though. Just not the networking prohibitions and such.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

OH MY GOD!!!

Starbuck is dead!

However, I am certain that she is one of the Five Cylons. Look at what her dream person said, "I am here to help you find what is between life and death."

Remember what Xena-Cylon was obsessed with?

And remember what she saw at the temple?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

It's a pill, ain't it ?

Not so sure she's the "closet toaster", though...

Remember the previews for this season, where the narrator was describing the various fates of our intrepid refugees - ...one will die, one will realize they are a Cylon...

She didn't seem to make the connection before going "splat".

I gotta admit, though, I was half-expecting the episode's final scene to be of ol' Starbuck waking up somewhere in a tub of transparent goop.

We shall see, I guess !

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

If she's not a cylon. what the fuck is her destiny? Her whole life she dreamed of this swirl. Initially it seemed she dreamed of an ancient symbol so revered a temple was built in its honor. A symbol that held the key of the great secret of her day: the path to earth.

But now it seems she dreamt of a storm and her destiny was to commit suicide for no reason whatsoever.

So if she's not a cylon, is the whole thing nothing but a way of saying, "You're not so special".

It kind of reminds me of 12 Monkeys. Bruce Willis has the horrible bad luck to see his own murder but not know it. He's troubled by it his entire life, until he travels back in time and gets gunned down with his childhood self as a horrified witness.

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

That was my favorite episode of the season.

She's not dead, it's the beginning of something new for her but she's not dead. That heavy raider was real the second time so there's no telling what happened.

We'll see. Either way it was an awesome episode. Great special effects, great music, great everything.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I'm going to agree with MadAnthonyWayne:

It is -definitely- a matter of her being a Cylon. I don't see her ending now.

Also note the symbolic connection of Aurora, Goddess of the Dawn, to the "dawning of a New Destiny".

But still, wow.

I was completely broadsided by her death.

I did not expect that in a MILLION years.

11. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Starbuck is not dead. the vortex that she had in her visions and the one she flew into is obviously a worm-hole. Galactica will catch up with her either by the end of the season or maybe the next. I don't believe her "destiny" was to go crazy and commit suicide.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

She's dead, but a Cylon I say.

The vortex was also on a planet. It was like the big eye on Jupiter, it seems.

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

She's not dead and she's not a Cylon. We keep seeing the heavy raider from Starbuck's point of view until near the very end when Apollo catches up. There's a frame there where the camera angle is behind Apollo's viper and in front both the heavy raider and Starbuck's viper are visible. Clearly, this isn't Starbuck's pov.

I kept asking myself, "why a heavy raider instead of just a regular Cylon fighter?" The answer must be: to pick up Starbuck who ejects. Who knows how they'll explain the pressure? Maybe the cockpit itself ejects. But if she were a Cylon, she wouldn't need to be picked up by a heavy raider. They could simply park a resurrection ship in range.

14. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

If you look closely the hole in her canopy was caused by Cylon weapons fire, so the heavy raider definatly was real, at least the second time around.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Skinwalker:

Perhaps the raider was necessary to induce the proper mental state in order to provoke the vision?

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Perhaps only Starbuck could apply the correct epistemology to see the raider.

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

When Xena saw the final 5, and went nuts over one in particular, my first thought was Starbuck. Even the weird cylon in the bathtub kept mentioning the chosen one. At first I thought she was talking about Starbuck until Six Aparition told Baltar that he was the chosen one. I'm still not sure. It might turn out to be a little weird if Starbuck was really one of the final 5. What would be a good explanation for it? I cannot think of one.

She's definitely not dead. She's the blithering star of the show. I don't know about anyone else, but I have always considered her the main main character out of all the main characters.

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So the president's cancer is back. And apparently certain people are hearing music no one else can hear. From the preview, it looks like all the affected people may be cylons. That would mean Saul, the presidents aide, and StarBucks husband are all cylons!

20. superstring01 Moderator

Getting to be the worst show on TV.

~String

21. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Superstring99:

Shhh.

This show is awesome.

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Madanthonywayne:

I cannot wait till next week. The sneak peak preview has tantalized us with something fascinating.

Although my theory of the music was that it was ancient radio wave transmissions from Earth.

Regarding the president, I don't trust she has cancer.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Okay... surprisingly, last night's episode was good. Very good even. Shit... even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Good for them.

~String