Bass Guitar. why does noone want to play?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

I don't play bass, I play acoustic guitar really really badly and I just picked it up cause i missed playing flute. But I do know four bassists! They are out there!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valentino Registered Senior Member

Given the choice between a guitar and a bass, most will choose the guitar for the glam factor. If you're the lead guitarist, you ge all the chicks, am I right? Hell, I wanted to play guitar for the longest time cause they're just sexy. However, I ultimately chose the bass because I can be in my pick of bands. Everyone needs a new bass player. And drums . . . well I think more people would play them if they weren't such an expensive instrument.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Have you ever tried to play bass and melody at the same time. I play classical guitar. mostley bach. i also play blues and death metal, cannibal corpse, deicide stuff. Zake wyild is the greatest electric guitar player in the world, and ANDREAS SEGOVIA is the greatest guitar player in the world.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bachus Registered Senior Member

This saturday i will get my 1st lesson in guitar playing

Too bad there's not an awfull lot of left guitars on the market it seems

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

When playing by yourself for your own enjoyment or for your family and friends, a bass just doesn’t seem to cut it. Nor do drums. A guitar or keyboards are more effective and enjoyable.

When looking for work, guitarists and drummers are a dime a dozen. Bass players on the other hand, especially good ones, are very rare. Most good bass players never have trouble finding steady work.

So if you’re a budding musician and you want to work, make sure you spend a few hundred dollars on a decent bass guitar and learn how to play it properly. It will help to keep Kraft dinner in the house when times are lean.

9. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Johann,

Do you like Opeth? I truely envy your fusion between genres. Not amny people exist that can transcend the utter differences in music. People always ask me what my favorite type of music is, and I always respond that I listen to every bit of music that I can get my hands on, and I could never choose.

Anyway, thanks for keeping an open mind in music. Segovia is fucking good, although the Romero family kicks out the jams.

10. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

thank you slak

I really wish i had time to play the piano. i would like to be able to play Rachmonanov's 3rd piano concerto before I die.

11. AWC Registered Member

Why does no one want to play bass?

I don't think it's completely accurate that no one wants to play bass. I have have a number of friends that play bass. However, a huge number of people play guitar. Have played bass for a few years now and it is definitely my favorite instrument and, unlike many people, I do not find it boring. I love playing bass! Perhaps this is because I have drawn inspiration from such excellent solo bassists as Jaco Pastorius and Stu Hamm. I don't know about the rest of you, but I will never stop playing bass. By the way, Tyler, I used to play the cello and I agree that is is a great istrument.

12. AWC Registered Member

Whoever said you can't play bass by yourself? It is a blast to just sit down and rock out, playing some funky slap and cool jazz. It is not difficult make melodies on the bass.

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

man, this thread is so old.
    yeh, its easy to get a tune out a bass guitar but is it as easy to keep a rock solid rythem section?

14. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Right now, I'm learning the acoustic guitar, but I have really always wantes to play the bass. In a couple of months, when I get enough money, I will shop for a used bass and amp. any suggestions?

15. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

good old Pe-pe

16. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Bass and drummer shortage

2 other gentleman and I have started playing music together, and all of us play the guitar. Right now we play without a drummer and bass player. Our music is performable without the use of bass and drums, since all of our songs have different guitar parts. I play Lead guitar on a Classical Guitar, Aaron strums his Acoustic Guitar while he sings, and Drew plays hella good rhythms on an Acoustic Guitar. I move to Electric for blues solos and more Rockier music with a light ~~dist~~. We have been looking for a bassist and drummer for a week. So far it looks like we will be going acoustic for a while. I don’t even know anybody that is learning drums or bass as a beginner.

17. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Ibanez make some good starter basses. I dont even know what amp to get because there are so many amps out there.
    If you want a proper bass i recommend a Fender.

18. AWC Registered Member

As far as basses go, Warwicks are very good. If you have the money, I recommend the FNA Jazzman. However, I really like Fender Jazz basses.

19. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

I may have missed this, but I didn't see this mentioned in the thread yet.

Yeah, there are some techniques that are used more prevalently on a bass, but learning guitar pretty much means learning bass too.

standard tuning on a 6 string EADGBE
    standard tuning on a bass EADG

The notes don't magically move or anything.
    Once you learn scales on a 6 string, its a fairly easy transition to bass. You already know how things fit together.

20. xxdemonxx Registered Member

bass kicks ass

i use to play guitar but one day i went to buy a new guitar and i started playing with a bass and i ended up leaving with a bass

21. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

I completely agree with this statement. I play the guitar and there is nothing that an average bassist can play that I would be unable to learn in a couple of days or even minutes. But the average bassist is unable to play what an average guitarist can play without practicing for months sometimes years. Also I am not talking about bassists that have taken it to extreme levels of performance like Claypool, but just your average bassist.

I personally believe every guitar player should purchase a bass and learn it so they can almost be guaranteed a job in music. Then maybe you can bust out the guitar sometime and show-up the current guitarist. The band just might make you the new lead guitar player and kick the former guitar player to the bass or out on the street.

22. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I am also proud to say that i play bass.......i love the sound and feel privilaged to be one of the few who play it......it is a dying art and needs to be revived. I predict that in a couple of years it will be the most popular instrument played.well, that is what i think at least

23. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

How the hell does a dying art form become the most popular form in a couple of years?

The bass guitar will never be the most popular instrument. The only way the bass guitar would ever be the most popular instrument is if all of the pop groups eliminate the guitar and use only bass guitars in their songs. Only then will every young newcomer buy a bass instead of a guitar.

Guyute - I Believe, since you play the bass, you would like to think the bass will be the instrument of choice someday. You and I know that will never happen at least in America and Europe. Instead you should state that you "WISH" it would be the most popular instrument not that you actually think it will be the most popular.

I don't mean to sound rude or anti bass guitar but history and music show that bass, especially in classical music, is never the main part nor will ever the main part of a piece of music, unless of course someone composes a bass concerto. I’ve thought about someday composing a bass concerto myself.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003