Ban Pixel (Poll Form)

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Closet Philosopher, Nov 23, 2004.

?

Should Pixel be banned?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2004.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Abstain

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If these members have something serious to say then let them say it on a sub-forum, if not, we move it to the cesspool where the thread will eventually be purged from the server.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pixel Registered Senior Member

About "Bans" Etc. - OK, Last Thread!

OK, kids, I have about half an hour for one last thread and since the rods haven’t disappeared from inside some member’s butts, I figure I don’t have to keep my end of the deal, so I’ll post once more. This is in response to Salt’s request that pixel be banned from SciForums, which I accept with great amusement.

First of all, pixel would like to thank the Academy and God – she couldn’t have done it without you. *kiss, kiss!* Next, she’d like to thank the majority who voted to keep her on the island – seriously, I do appreciate it (and no, I won’t forget it; trust me).

But I do have some things I’d like to say to you SciF’ers and especially to people like Salt and Invert.

First of all “pixel” is an onscreen persona and I’m able to separate “her” from “me,” so I am not taking anything as a personal affront – still, I am compelled to tell you that some of you (eg. Salt) are way too retentive and paranoid for your age, and you might want to lighten up, or you’ll end up dying alone and unloved in a pool of your own “serious” feces. Posting your opinions and moving posts to the Cesspool is totally cool – trying to get anyone banned (“Ban Athelwulf”, “Ban Truthseeker”, etc) because they add to silly threads and the like is really just puerile, hardnosed and mean. What it spells is “wildly insecure”.

I’ll tell you why I say wildly insecure. I don’t see you trying to ban the many other members who regularly post Cesspool material. I also, SALT, noticed that you didn’t respond to my sincere responses to the more serious threads, including yours – although I just LOVED your valuable contribution to this thread:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=42479

How very much “smarter” than pixel you are. I guess I should be bowing down in reverence to your intellect. Then you could kick me for being such a “girl”. The truth is, and I'm being perfectly sincere here, I think IT BUGS YOU that a female can be smart and pretty and have a sense of humor -- I think it threatens you. I think you want the world to be as humorless and wretched as you. I mean, you do live way out in Bumblefuck Ontario – I guess you have nothing better to do than sit around being pissed off.

To anyone who has been ranting angrily about the pretty funny posts that didn’t have rods up their asses (which other members have been posting), let me explain that, even among physicists and theologians and psychologists (if not quite philosophers), crude humour is very commonly interjected to blow off some steam and as a reminder that every thought that they express ain’t solemn business that’s going to change the world.

Now I really had to stop hanging out at SciForums anyway, because I’m starting to get super busy, but from what I can tell, some people treat this as a “community”, a social interaction, a way to connect to other human beings – my God, a loose network of virtual friendships, despite all the bravado. Why can’t humor or inanity have a role in these communications? And is anyone twisting your arm to read any of it? From what I can tell, everyone is following an unwritten protocol: if you’re going to start nonsense, make it clear in the thread name so that every “serious” member knows to avoid it.

I think, if SciForums were to take Lou Natic’s offer to weasel out anybody who’s having some fun or being controversial, you’d lose your “community” and end up with a bunch of grey buzzing drones spewing out calculations and data. You can go to a textbook for that, or chat with a bot.

And a quotation for Invert, who slashed me down and whipped me for saying “I laughed for 5 minutes” at Genanken’s posts:
    “Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly; devils fall because of their gravity.” - G.K. Chesterton

I think a better use of energy would be to ban nasty personal-attack spazz freazoids who are too angry to get a hold of themselves, eg:

Um… I beg to differ. On both counts.

(Oh. So THAT explains it. You have a problem with girls who have stuff going on, right? Are you fat, ugly, hard up, or all three, sister?)

So, you pissy freaks who are constantly whining about other members, YOUR ANGRY "SERIOUS" STUFF is better than light-hearted, happy quips, right, kids? That actually annoys me to no end -- you deserve to get it as hard as you dish it out. Who the fuck do you think you are, trying to silence other members' voices (excluding me here)?

I think this is mostly a good community, with very cool young minds. If some members are so bothered by levity, maybe the admin should consider One Vote to Rule Them All: cesspool material allowed, or not? If not, ban all contributors of such material, as Dr. Lou Natic suggests? If you ban all offending contributors, send me an e-mail: I’d like to see what happens to the “community”.

Life can be happy and airy and sometimes silly as you try to figure it out – it just ain’t the end of the world to lapse into slapstick sometimes. Now lighten up, kids, and see the beauty in the world beyond your monitors and somber analyses of the fabric of life… Sometimes, living means being human.

Back to work I go. Those of you who are smart AND funny, thanks so much for the exercise – I think you’re awesome. To the "government": I hope you keep things human around here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arditezza Banned Banned

But they aren't being moved to the cesspool, and we have a ton of posters who say nothing important at all. Pixel included. Not to mention, she constantly posts in the wrong forums, it's stupid trite bs and completely unimportant. Lou is right, we have too many pansy idiots. And nothing is being done about them. Other forums point their banned members here because they know we are becoming a dumping ground because of our apathy. It's pathetic.

But we put up with it from other posters like Athelwulf too. I for one, would like to see moderators cleaning up posters that have zero value except coming here to chat. Alas, most of the moderators are indifferent and some just don't even care much, so I don't expect it to change.

I do want to point out the idiot who said "Enough with the bannings already!" or something to that effect. We can't seem to ban anyone by vote, and haven't. So I have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

hehe I knew you where hiding something, but what an unexpected long speach

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I liked it, make a new one please

anyway dont be so harsh on us, the community or you break our belive on us self "sciforums.com. intelligent community", got a lov it.
    I bet you can proberly find a better site where you can have far more fun instead of wasing your time here so happy hunting, and if you do find a good site with a mix of fun and sci/tech please let me know

8. pixel Registered Senior Member

Meh -- screw it. I need a break and so I'll post a reply to you, "sempre sbagliato" Macchiavellian Arditezza ('cause I'm not that concerned with any upkeep of one of my onscreen personas' honor just for you stiffs, to be honest: )

Forze hai raggione che sei "spesso sbagliato" -- ma allo stesso tempo dici che tutti gli altri sono sbagliati. Et tu chi sei? Allora non e' giusto a ridere una volta ogni tanto -- dobbiamo essere serie -- perche'? "pixel" ti ha offeso perche' ... Che? Tutto lo scambio qui' -- oppure nel mundo proprio -- e solo una maniera di communicare che esistiamo. Dalle volte esistiamo per ridere. Senti, ridi ogni tanto -- fatti il favore, caro. un bacio forte!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I’m arguing with the other moderators to up our cesspooling, to close more threads that we send to the cesspool and to do another purging of the cesspool. If we can keep the forums clean then idiotic members will give up and leave or post more intellectual material.

I’m afraid we just can’t banish people for being non-intellectual most of the time.

Also if you want things changed reporting post and threads more often would be a good start. We are like police sitting at the station eating donuts thinking “Gee everything most be ok, no one is calling us.” Patrolling thread after thread, we have to skip over a lot of stuff, it easy to miss things, reporting bad threads is a good way to improve our performance as moderators and help clean up the place.

10. pixel Registered Senior Member

... Oh, and I hereby solemnly swear to post in this thread only from this point forward (12:18 edit time), forevermore, on pain of being drawn and quartered at midnight by Lou Natic and Salt. (This way I won't be tempted.)

I am now sequestered to this thread. Shhhhh. Salt, can you bring me some water?

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

How nice to be remembered.

Look, Pixel.
    You can sit there and talk about how people have sticks up their asses and no sense of humor and blah blah all day. What you're doing is not seeing the big picture. And, it's not your fault, either. You haven't seen this place when it was.... better. Their used to be an overabundance of interesting threads and talks going on. Yes, we always had our little chitty-chatties, but they were few(er) and weren't as noticeable.

Nowadays, it seems that practically all that is going on is chat. There are a few threads here and there, but they are buried beneath the lolol's and LMAO ROLFMLAO BLAH.

Is it your fault? No. But, you are sufferering a backlash of people who remember what this place used to be like and are at pains seeing something that they loved turn to a kiddie playground.

There have been other posters in the past that were far more egregiously chatful than you are, and they were not turned upon so severely as you have been (and the fact is that you have not been turned upon that severely. You're overreacting.) In fact, one, Jadedflower, was told by Porfiry himself that he would never ban her. This from a girl who never made a single worthwhile contribution to any thread (as far as I'm aware.) But, she was allowed because at that time the place was still hopping with good threads.

So, in the end it comes down to questions and solutions. Why is the quality of threads diminishing? Is it because of the teenyboppers? Or are the teenyboppers just more obvious because of the slump? I actually think that it's the latter. It just seems that things are slow right now and they will most likely pick up eventually. I'm sure this can't be the first slump that SciForums have gone through. And probably won't be the last.

However, during these times, we must be watchful that the teenyboppers and chatters don't get out of hand. In the absence of good conversation, they come and think that all this place is about is lolol rofl and invite their friends and next thing we know we're up to our necks in parasites.

Caution is the keyword. There's plenty of teenchat forums out there. We don't need that here. Do you have to be 100% serious at all times? Absolutely not. In fact, I've seen even the most serious posters here break out some inane garbage at times (well, actually I don't think I've ever seen either Fraggle or James break down to such levels, come on guys, loosen up. Kidding.) But, keep your inanity to a minimum and try to contribute to serious discussion to leaven the foolishness. However, some are better off just staying in free thoughts as their 'contributions', however well intended, are sometimes not contributing much if anything.

Am I judging you? No. These are all general statements. Merely trying to explain to you why you are experiencing this backlash. And asking that you understand the need that some of us have to keep this place sane and productive. Some of us have nowhere else to go with these thoughts that find expression here. Many of us have no intellectual 'friends' who would care to hear about any philosophical or scientific 'bullshit'. To us, this place is more than just a playground, it is a means of expression and is not to be trifled with. Are there other places on the net for such expressions? Surely. But, I've found none better than here.

SciForums is, was, and will be the best forum on the net in my opinion. Even now in it's slump I cannot help but see her as she was and will be. She will return to her former height. Either lend a hand or go away. That's all I have to say.

12. Arditezza Banned Banned

I'm not going to offend others by excluding them and posting in another language, so I will respond in english;

Yes, I freely admit that I am often wrong in my posts that are on-topic, non-chatty and within the intention of these forums. However, this is not Chatforums.com or imdysfunctionalandwanttoshareforums.com. While the people here do socialize, the quality posters are the ones who contribute to the intention of the site, and not to satisfy their need to socialize and talk about themselves all the time. I laugh. And I laugh a lot, I'm also of good humour. What I don't find funny, is the continued degradation of these forums by the likes of people who don't add anything but social crap. You haven't offended me, per se. But more that posters like you irritate me by posting bad topics in main forums, and mucking up perfectly good debates with innane babbling.

These forums have quality, but it's getting fewer and far between because of people who just chatter with nothing to add. The apathy of the people here to fix it is also irritating. I have enjoyed these forums for their intelligent debate, which is become less and less frequent because people are driven away by the inability to have a good conversation without stupid people talking for the sake of hearing themselves talk. Other forums have cleaned it up, and people move there to have a healthy debate. Why post here if everything you post is going to be marred by stupidity? If you can't keep your chattiness to the off-forums, and continue posting in sections where your posts don't belong then I have no recourse but to assign you to the moron catagory of posters that only talk, and do not think.

Please keep your kisses and affections to yourself. I don't want to catch anything.

13. pixel Registered Senior Member

Arditezza: Oh. You don't actually speak Italian then -- it was for show. If you don't want to offend members with "foreign languages", then why did you choose to have your name and motto in Italian, Mr. "Sempre Sbagliato"? Why couldn't you simply write "Always Wrong", if a foreign language offends?

Alright, Invert, I understand that you'd like SciForums to revert to a more logical, scientific-minded (etc) place to meet other minds. Of course that's fair. What's not fair is forcing silence on any member whose intention is to contribute to the 'intellect' aspect while at the same time engaging in some of the frivolity that always seems to have existed around here (looking at very old posts). And I'm bothering with this because there seem to be a ton of "ban member X" requests lately, and I think that sucks. (I'm about to take a long break from the web anyway.)

In my case, I'm very very swamped with work. I also happen to love physics & astronomy, linguistics & languages, literature, poetry, writing, spirituality... etc. So "pixel" has given my two cents' worth where I had something to contribute in a "serious" thread here. Otherwise, "pixel" was jumping into the fray of frivolity. I didn't, as "Arditezza" suggests (in ENGLISH), constantly

"post bad topics in main forums, and muck up perfectly good debates with innane babbling".

I tried to post directly to the Cesspool and keep out of "Free Thoughts", but found it wasn't permitted, and experimented with the process by posting cesspool-worthy stuff -- because I was curious, and I didn't know how things work yet. And yes, I also contributed to Cesspool threads, with good spirits and (I thought) not with any intention of "mucking up perfectly good debates"... Where I had something to contribute at all in a debate, I contributed.

Still, this is not really about me, because as I've said, I really had to get seriously into projects I'm working on and my time's starting to run out. Also, I do recognize that "pixel" is an obnoxious onscreen persona sometimes... So if she got/gets banned, I won't be traumatized, and as I've said, I enjoyed the forum while pixel lasted here. What's at issue here is whether or not members should be allowed to engage in "cesspool" banter -- not whether they should be allowed to screw up debates deliberately. (Not to say the debates don't sometimes go to shit anyway, despite all good intentions.)

I don't think you'll ever be able to sustain a very "proper" etiquette around being silly in a forum without eventually losing most members. What I would be more concerned about, is sustaining an environment that allows for diversity (in thought, mood, etc) without fear of personal attack, as LouNatic and others tend to revert to. That's the kind of menial, insulting and scary crap that contaminates a forum -- not frivolity. Ad hominem is the ugliest thing I've seen in here.

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you'd care to support that statement?
    ...where, exactly, is this supposed argument taking place? Or are you just attempting to present yourself as pretender to the title of Guardian of Sciforums? There is no "argument" taking place regarding the suggestions you have made, and little comment so far.

:m: Peace.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sure: the fact we don’t banish people on minor offenses. The fact that the cesspool hasn’t been cleaned in sometime, ect

Gee Goofyfish have you stopped by at my thread on moderator sub-forum about this again? : http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=42672 sure no one seem to be arguing about it as no one is even replying to me, is that laziness or apathy? Should I just say out loud that none of the other moderators seem to give a dam?

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Say out loud whatever is a fact. You cannot have an "argument" without the participation of at least one other individual. Your use of the term leads others to believe that you are standing up for something that other moderators don't support, which you cannot possibly know is the case. Lazyness or apathy? Some might call it a period of reflection - time spent considering the subject in question rather than posting the first thought that flits into their brain.

:m: Peace.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Well, if there is a 'period of reflection' going on, allow me to throw my stones into the pool.

I don't know if 'cesspooling more threads' is necessarily the solution. This seems to bring to mind quotas among police in which they are required to catch a certain number of criminals and thus they often 'catch' people who aren't criminals or aren't necessarily deserving of punishment for a light infraction. I think that, for the most part, the threads that are cesspooled are well-chosen. There have been times in the past when threads were trashed that were undeserving. But, lately this seems to not be the case. So... well done.

Anyway, just laying down a blanket 'more cesspooling' isn't going to fix anything. Especially threads from the less strict forums (free thoughts, art & culture, sci-fi, etc...). There really is nothing that the moderators can do without significantly damaging one of the things that makes this place great, the freedom.

The power is in the hands of the people. To either destroy or make better. If, instead of just running away at the first hint of boredom, the serious posters on this forum policed themselves we'd be better off. Do we need to eradicate all frivolity? No. But, we can certainly 'pick on' those individuals who add nothing to the site but frivolity.

Humiliation is the best police action. Send the fools back to the nether hells they come from. Declare an open season on idiots and we could undoubtably chase off quite a few of the chatters. At least we might make them consider themselves a bit more deeply. And consider the consequences of their foolishness.

Are they children? Well, then they must be taught that they are being foolish and that pissing the bed is wrong.

Are they fools? Then they must be shown their foolishness and pointed elsewhere.

But, merely laying down a blanket statement of more cesspooling is failing to take into consideration the history of said individuals. It's free thoughts and there's lots of thoughts that can be called free and frivolous without being worthy of the cesspool.

We don't need a police state here. Additional police presence will only create an atmosphere of tension and reluctance to speak. You throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ok. Enough metaphors. I've said my piece.

Say no to proposition X.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well instead of banishing more idiot members the moderation is leaning toward punishing those that complain... and that a fact.

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

No, it is actually not a fact.

20. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Gee, were to busy moderating our respective forums to stop buy and debunk your crazy ideas. I'm fucking sorry.

21. Arditezza Banned Banned

I read Italian quite well, my writing in it is horrible. My learning of languages has been so that I may read texts instead of texts decipered by biased individuals. Admittedly, I am not a flutent speaker in any languages but English and French, but I know at least seven. It is, however considered rude to post in a different language in a forum that is comprized of English writers.

And I'm a woman, not a "Mr.Arditezza". I would rather be, often wrong than always annoying, always hypocritical (how many times have you said "last post") and always immature.

22. pixel Registered Senior Member

"Wrong", you say?

Oh, I'm sorry for knowing my Italian then, and assuming you're a man -- if you actually READ Italian, you'd still know that calling yourself "spesso sbagliato" -- with the o -- means you are of masculine gender... ahem... And I'm still offended by the fact that you don't want to "catch anything" by taking a token of affection from me.

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Dear Deities!

Does it say anywhere in site rules that a poster MUST post scientific content only? Or any scientific content at all? No. So why do we complain about other people posting crap? You've got nothing on them, no case at all. Finita.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.