Ban on Human Cloning?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Ender, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Probably not it took 6 week to grow a balder so maybe like 6 months for a heart.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it takes 9 months to grow a baby heart under perfect conditions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

your considering how much nutrition has to be give to the other organs, how much oxygenation and so forth... in a baby! that's very different from a labratory.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alwaysinpain18 Registered Member

No i am talking on a whole. we don't need anymore fucking people. We should find ways to kill off people not make more.

8. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

My problem with cloning is simple. Who gets cloned? If the tech was around in the 1940's would Gandi or Hitler be more likely to go for it?(remember Gandi was poor)
    A more recent example... How many George Bushes do we need?
    American already has a surplus of politically motivated families. They seem popular with the electorate. Why vote for the son when you can have the clone? Two terms be damned!

George 2 anyone?

Oh I forgot. George is a christian, then so was Nancy Reagan but when the Gipper came down with Alziemers she soon became a passionate supporter of stem cell research.

Technology is only as helpful as the people who control it.
    DeeCee

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

what do you mean we already have a George 2 and he is even worse then the origional!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Maybe Georges 3 through 27 will be better. The technology is still young

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Lets just hope they don't perfect 'brain transplants'

Grow a new body without a brain, and transplant the 70 year old's into it. No rejection because it's the 'same' body. We'd end up with good looking 20 year olds who are senile.

"Now where'd I put my diaphram?"

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

in a lab it is difficult to culture any organ for a prolonged period of time...

I managed once to culture a simple organ for 2 months. It didn't look pretty at the end and it was about 1mm in length. It growth rate went down relative to the time in culture. And it was deformed of course. If we want to have a nice growth of such an organ we put it back into another mouse in an ectopic place and let it grow there.

A human heart is several centimeters in diameter and very complex.

therefore, i would just like to state that it sounds nice that one could grow a heart in the lab more efficient, but i would like to contest that based on experience. In vivo is very efficient.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

circulation is a showstopper at the moment...

tissue sheets are easy...thick multilayered tissues are not

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No because they are developing ways of growing capillaries through synthetic organs... a showstopper is something that would make the whole idea of synthetic organs impossible.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i said at the moment...and that these systems are in development doesn't mean they will ever be efficient or workable.

another showstopper at the moment then:

We don't have the faintest clue how a heart develops in vivo. Somehow we hope then that we don't need this kind of knowledge to grow a heart in vitro. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

jee they seem workable and efficient in natural organs... what leads you to believe that its impossible to replicate the same level of efficiency in synthetic ones?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

hmmm another thing...one of the things i am worried about is that most sten cell research is focussed on differentiation. One takes a stem cell and try it to differentiate into a specific cell type and sometimes a sheet of cells of one cell type.

the problem is that differentiation and morphogenesis are not necessarily coupled together. I can remember one paper in which they recombined salivary gland mesenchyme with mammary gland epithelium. The result was salivary gland morpohology, but they were lactating milk. The epithelium still differentiated into lactating cells, despite that the organ assumed salivary gland appearance.

and the reason why i am not optimistic about in vitro growth of organs is because I have experience in the matter and hence I don't have to belief the ferry tales some researchers are spreading around..

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ooh so your working on the cuting edge of this feild then?

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

(aren't we nasty today...anyhoo)

i could say no and I could say yes.

no, i didn't manage to grow a heart yet.

Yes, i do a lot of in vitro tissue culture.
    yes, i did manage to grow another complex organ from an early stage until very late development in vitro. Not using stem cells of course. Since that would require to overcome some of the showstoppers, that apparently do not exist according to you.

the link you gave doesn't give any suggestions on how the major problems in tissue engineering can be overcome...except to say that we need a team of experts...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2003
  21. CaptainThor Registered Member

I'm in no way religious at all, but I still think cloning people for body parts is wrong. Could they not be intelligent life forms? They could still have human emotion, feelings, and intelligence, yet they might not be thought of that way and just used to save the person who supplied the DNA. I don't really know what I will think in years to come, even if it is illegal to do so, somewill will do it.

22. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

ban on human cloning of subjects. No ban or restrictions on the creation of manufactured synthetic tissues. Would satisfy me.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I've been a bit confused..
    i've noticed that some people use the word synthetic and technically that means non-biological i think. But i think they used it in the sense of 'in vitro', as opposed to 'in vivo.'
    what do you mean then? help an old man to overcome his confusion.