Bad Art, We All Know It When We See It, Don't We?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by KilljoyKlown, Feb 9, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

What is bad art? Would you post it if you found it?

Have you heard of the Museum of Bad Art?

The Museum Of Bad Art (MOBA) is the world's only museum dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition and celebration of bad art in all its forms.

Since 1994, the Museum of Bad Art has been dedicated to bad art. It is only through the efforts of the worldwide Friends of MOBA that we have been able to carry out our mission: to bring the worst of art to the widest of audiences.

MOBA maintains this website as well as three bricks-and-mortar galleries, all in the Boston, MA area. Directions and maps can be found here. Through traveling exhibits, special events, and changing exhibits, we share the best bad art ever assembled in one, two or three museums.

Our collection numbers about 600 pieces, but due to limited exhibition space, we show 50 to 70 at a time. Each piece is presented with the kind of descriptive narrative you will find with the art here.
    =========================================

I want to explore the concept of bad art, so please post examples of bad art and please comment about any postings. Every things on the table.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I love that site, and I collect bad art myself, I have a few incredibly bad paintings I got from Goodwill.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I presume they are hanging on your wall?

What about the following, would you hang this on your wall?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That is bad, but maybe not bad enough. My prized piece was a spiky piece of lacquered plywood (think tribal tattoo shape) covered with a huge image of the most extensive drug collection I've ever seen (it might have been fake). It was about 3 feet square, and I ended up giving it to someone who liked it. Also from Goodwill.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You keep mentioning Goodwill, so I did a search of goodwill Art and came up with this stunning piece of artwork.

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

On a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being very bad, the following would get a 5.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Goodwill is a US company where you can donate stuff to them for a tax rebate and they sell the stuff in their stores where they hire people who need help or are mentally challenged.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That looks like a drawing I made once!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

At what point does (just) a drawing become art?
    Could we call any random drawing art?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In kindergarten I'm sure.. lol

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The bad rating actually goes down the younger you were when you made a drawing like that. How about a more grown up bad drawing.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, it was better than that, but the composition was the same. I'll have to scan it and upload it here.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Don't think those represent the genre.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You mean just because they are posted on a bad art site it may not qualify as bad art?

I'm Bummed

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That isn't bad art, that is outsider art.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

But how do you determine what constitutes "bad art'? Is there an agreed upon scale that can be used? I mean you and I might be looking at the exact same art and come to completely different conclusions. Bad art seems like a very subjective subject. When everybody has different personal taste in art, who's to say that's bad and that's not?

Bad Hair Day

21. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

It's interesting. I am currently taking a ceramics course at the college near my home for fun (and because I loved it so much when I was in college) and the pictures of some of the stuff that is considered "brilliant", I think is not great at all and some of it is incredibly uninspired and boooooring. I'm not talking about the student stuff, which most of it is meh, but some of the student pieces are amazing compared to what we are being shown as "great art" in some of the lectures.

I feel the same way at some museums as well. It's not just a genre thing, as I don't particularly like one genre over another or one medium over another, there are just some pieces that aren't... I don't know, passionate enough? Like you can tell when the artist didn't really think about their project. There is a lot of art I don't like but I still think is quality work, mind you. It's just that some pieces I just think are crapola.

I have a piece of bad art that I love though, that I picked up from the Salvation Army (like Goodwill) and it's a red canvas work with an interesting paint on it. I think the artist in question milled up some rice and made a poultice to paint his canvas with. It's got all sorts of really interesting textures and captures the light in a really neat way. I think the subject matter is meh, but the colour combination and choice of media was interesting to me. Most people think it's ugly and bad, but I like it.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You want an objective definition and that's never going to happen, but bad art is usually very amateurish and derivative.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I feel that it's art only if some effort and skill went into producing it. Of course, where to draw the line is purely a matter of taste I guess.
    Imo, works of art that required a lot of effort and skill are the best ones. Bad art then is something that required very little effort and skill.