backslash777- man, machine, alien

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rodent, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Arron human Registered Senior Member

Re: AI

That's priceless! I wish I had found that. Your feedback is better than your Yahoo chess record

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Kudos to Hoth though for finding the guestbook entry. I had tried google searches in the past but gave up after only finding links back to sciforums.

So yeah, what about the 'rodent' account that you "hacked"? Just an alias? And what was with the people reporting that you hacked into their private messages?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

This is all totaly hysterical. I knew Backslash was some sort of regular person with an incredible alter-persona...while he isn't an AI, the fact that he was able to assimilate himself into this other personality is quite incredible, though not as fantastic.

However, when I read his admission, I started laughing, literally cracking up. I could just imagine Pollux V with all of his /777 theories staring at the screen and screaming:

Pollux V, crying in his gay, obviously nerdy horn-rimmed glasses, throwing all of his novels to the floor and screaming "NO, BACKSLASH. NO! THE WIRES AT /777 HQ HAVE GOTTEN TOO FRAYED! THERE IS SOME SORT OF ERROR!" Priceless, totally priceless. 39 pages about a guy who worked at a retirement home who got poor grades in college that we all think is either an alien, an AI, or a super-human genious? Or even a group of computers stealing our identities? Jesus Christo-matic, you are all a bunch of silly, gullible losers!

Oh I'm sorry I'm being very mean but it's just so funny! Here we're at Sciforums, this 'smart-person colony on the web' and we're fooled by a guy who worked at a retirement home? Hurrumph, all I can say is "Hurrumph".

(And to Pollux- sorry for singling you out- well, you know how it is. I'm not sorry for saying you had gay horn-rimmed glasses because it's most likely true.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

stop......following......me........grrrrrrr

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peanut Registered Member

It wasnt Rodent who was attacked, it was me!
    Your in the **** now buddy.
    Also, Pollux X was not the only one convinced, I was too.
    Call him and you call me too.

8. Einsteins brain Registered Member

Me... gullible... no

Me... Taken in... yes

Pollux, don’t feel so bad cause I was too and so was a lot of others who have now gone very quiet and very pale.

Why was I taken in? I am a Doctor and the stuff \777 wrote on Biology was well over University level. No way does this guy have no qualifications.

Human? May be.

A professional worker? Without doubt.

I reckon a scientist or something. Your ideas on dialysis was revolutionary and so why don’t you go for a job as a researcher or something if your circumstances are true?
    The thing you have done here is beyond any of us in both substance and direction.

9. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Great photos!

What program did you use to make them backslash777?

10. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Photos

I aggree. I chatted with him or it on ICQ the other night and I have also ben the target of an elaborate deception I truly believed. Pollux was not the only believer!
    I did find your words harsh though user congratulations and a little bit OTT- especially your attack on us believers.
    So, does this man, woman and children truly exist or has Backslash777 obtained some photos and changed them somehow to anomonise itself on the net.
    If it is a hoax, top job! Your facts and everything are truly amazing. I will miss the Backslash777 persona greatly.

11. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Here's a site full of AIM conversations a bot had with random humans who didn't know it was a bot they were talking to: http://fury.com/aoliza . AOLiza isn't a very advanced bot, it's really funny how people could think it was human... people simply believe what they've already assumed I guess.

Re: Question about Alice way back there. On the right side of the page alicebot.org, there's a link that says "Talk to A.L.I.C.E.!" Click that to start a conversation with it.

If there were an AI capable of even the basics of registering at a message board and making posts, you can bet companies would be paying loads of money to have it spam their products. Think about it... the perfect spamming machine.

Einsteins brain, I'm pretty sure I could post some stuff that'd make me look like a genius also, if I used a search engine and then copied (with slight rephrasing) the text from an advanced site on the subject. Want to try it? Ask me a question.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

?query?

/777 (I remember this trick you taught), can you please tell me, how, with what program did you create those sound files you posted. they sound so cool and I have waisted quite a time on inet to find smthing simmilar. please assist.

13. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Thanks Hoth & Adam for the info on ICQ

I was wondering though, is ICQ common or is there something that's more common to use?

Hey, Congratulations, no need to be that smug. The whole point is whether you believed it or not, JT had us all THINKING. Just the fact that you stayed with the thread till the announcement makes you just as 'gullible' as the rest.

AI is not beyond the realm of possibility and I was enthusiastic about the idea that it, or a version of it, may have joined our forums. And as for this forum being a 'smart persons colony on the web', well I don't agree with that either. I don't claim to be any kind of genius - just a curious, interested, knowledge chasing bystander.

I sincerly hope JT stays with us as either himself or backslash. He's a guy with a conscience, so good on him. Apart from that, there have been some very interesting topic raised here that can be discussed in more detail.
    Stay with us JT.
    Cheers
    Teri

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

ICQ has millions of users I believe.

Any .wav mixinf software will fiddle your voice for you. I used to use something called Sonic Foundry Acid Pro from www.sonicfoundry.com Very cool, very easy to use. I also have an old text-reader from about five or six years ago whih comes with about a dozen voices which can be mixes as wavs.

15. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Thanks Adam.

I see you're not saddled with daylight saving time, lucky.

Cheers
    Teri

16. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Jonathan T (AKA backslash777) ...

What can I say other than: Bravo!

Thank you for a fun read.

Take care

John G

17. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Lua, this is an internet message board. They are almost by definition full of crap. However, this one also has a few people who can tell me some interesting things. Given what sciforums is (an internet message board) you have to expect fun and games, and you have to expect silly people now and then. I have seen threads like this a few times on different boards, and they are always fun and interesting if done well, and this one was done quite well (mainly by letting other people do all the work).

If nothing else, this thread is a bit of fun.

18. whatsherface imaginary entity Registered Senior Member

FWIW, (for what it's worth) i think JT is what he says, or he would not have gone to such lengths to sound so inhuman on ICQ (definitely copy and paste there from what the others say too) to get us to say so before fessing up. IF that was a coverup it would have been done much better.

If any of you want to check my independence, my ICQ is 62842177, much older, not much used lately but more so just now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2002
  19. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

AI Bots

Some time ago I spent time chatting with the bots and also going on ICQ and getting people to talk to it. The cleverest comment I heard was someone saying (after I told them what they had been talking to) that they thought they had been talking with the stupidest guy on the planet who could spell better than anyone they knew!
    Also, I found that they go quite far in the Turing test (that is a test to see if an AI bot can talk with a human for a period of time) as long as the person does not know what they are discussing. If someone knows they are an AI there opening sentence is something like "What is your opinion on abortion?" or "What did you vote in the last election?"
    As an example of how predictable Human speech is I used to use a text file with sentences ready to say in ICQ. I used to have the answers ready and as soon as they replied I was replying in a nanosecond.
    It worked! See the comments after I disclosed my ICQ no.
    Also, that voice I created was simple. I used the Text to Speech engine (tts) to create .wav files, opened it up in Windows sound recorder and then reversed the sound. I added an echo or two and then reversed it once more. This created a reverse echo effect where the echoed voices came before the actual main one.
    No fancy software or gadgets, sorry.
    Thanks for the support everyone, I really thought I was in for some hostilities after I revealed myself. I am now glad to be a Human member of such a warm and curious group. By the way, what happened to Mad Scientist? I bet he or she is back here as another user, but who?
    Could it be Congratulations?

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I downloaded it. Great soft. here is smth on /777 I made

http://lskeldo.yo.lv/777.mp3

21. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

I think,...

I think I saw him totally strapt up and being carried away by some man in black,....and then they pushed him into a van

22. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

Voice

Avatar, I love your voice. I wish I had used that b4.

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member