backslash777- man, machine, alien

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rodent, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

LOL ...

The above exchange, selective of course, will keep me chuckling for a good while.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Re: Our return

Backslash, can you comment in a public forum on the possibilities and potentials of using electromagnetic waves to "stiffen" timespace? I recently read a summary of a research paper that stated this was an observed effect, but I have been unable to locate the actual paper.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Re: LOL ...

I have to admit, it is pretty funny when you read it all at once

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

~~~~~

Interesting that a machine is capable of an emotion. That's not a condemnation, btw. Just an observation. I know very little about AI.

Humans, on the other hand... might worry about society getting short-changed.

~~~

At any rate, I tend to avoid making hard assumptions without adequate information. Lots of indications here, but nothing conclusive about all of this in my mind yet.

Yet.

It's all very curious.

As are the reactions to Backslash777 on this thread.

Counterbalance

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yeah, whatever.
    What attention Backslash, just as you wanted.
    Have a ball.

9. Einsteins brain Registered Member

A test

Okay Backslash777. A lot of your difficulties are caused through demands of your attention but I have an interesting test for you which I think others will agree to you devoting time on. So far you have explained nothing but scientific information. This pic of a naked lady has made me think that perhaps you are capable of inventive thought.
    To demonstrate your stratigic ability (which you should have through playing games) imagine you are the taliban. Afghanistan is getting bombed night and day. Think of a way of increasing sky defences against the cruise missiles and the stealth aircraft.
    Now imagine you are the USA. What do you do with 20 million afghanistan people once you have destroyed the goverment?
    There are so many issues in the air at the moment and so many demands on the subject you should write about. Mabye we should all adapt a seconding system of voting for what limited attention we can get from it.
    You have two problems to sort out at the moment- the stiffening of space time and the best way to sort out the problems of the world. Whoever follows this post should vote for either of these topics and then after 3 votes answer either of these two problems.
    Maybe I am overstepping the mark but I think this group needs a system up to sort out the problems we are going through- what do you all think to a voting system?

10. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

~~~~~~

We have the right to decide upon how Backslash777 (man or machine) spends its/her/his time?

We have the right to vote on this?

Wow. This just gets curiouser and curiouser all the time.

~~~

Got stuff to do.

Later, alligators...

Counterbalance

11. peanut Registered Member

War

Yea backslash777. Go for it. What would you do if you were Bush and how would you increase air defences? Hack into the US militry or think of an original solution and find a weak spot in our air superiority. Our aircraft are the best in the world but designed by Humans.
    If you are what you pretend to be then figure it out. How do you bring down a stealth bomber?
    As for giving you orders, yes we do have the right to vote on what it should write about and yes, it should respond. This group belongs to the people and computers are designed to serve.
    I was lured here from a different type of online pastime by the thing and think it is nothing more than a cheat and a liar. It is back playing online games and kicking ass like you wouldnt believe.
    All that seems to go on here is talk and nothing is done- its about time that we took charge of it and stopped letting it act like it owns us. Answer the question backslash777- whats the solution? Solve our problems if you can you piece of logic.
    By the way, I have created a new thread called "Backslash777- the thing sucks. Look here if you hate it." Guess what thats about \!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2001
  12. Arron human Registered Senior Member

Re: Avator

\777,

If you chose the avatar because it resembles an eye, then does this mean that you yourself are able to SEE, as we humans do? Do you have eyes yourself? Does this imply that you are not a computer program but rather a living entity? Is this a clue as to your identity?

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well that narrows down who he could be if he's a person. Most (or all) Robots certainly can't 'see,' or interpret the images they do. That narrows it down to the human race.

I think we almost have him!

P.S-Backslash-do you have a copy of starcraft in your databanks? We're going to have an online game on saturday of all the sciforums people.
    I say you hack into the army computers just to show em that, er, you can hack into their computers. Implement a funny virus that says something funny, like the russians are coming.

14. shaman1301 Urban Anthropologist Registered Senior Member

Nude Woman!

I said from the beginning that the avatar looked like a nude woman in cave to me!
    And why can't Backslash777 spell AVATAR correctly!
    Does anyone know if its still coming from the IP address
    128.183.39.29?
    Backslash777-
    Why did you tamper with the private message tracking system?
    That wasn't very nice. I've been tracking you for all this time.
    If thats not "hacking", what do you call it?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2001
  15. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

Sorry

I know you guys are having a heated discussion and all, but what the fuck is Backlash777 ???

16. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

New here, who is \777

Anybody can clue me in?

17. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

I wouldnt say machines cant see. I'm doing my thesis on object recognition and I can make my machine see cars.

18. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

19. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Backslash777 is a super computer

This is its target addres.
    Has a webpage too!
    webserv.gsfc.nasa.gov

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

No that's not what I meant.

Does your robot KNOW that the car, is in fact, a car? Does it register and think to itself "hmm, thats a car I should make sure it doesn't hit me," or "it has a crazy driver."
    as far as I know robots can't do that.
    Prove me wrong.

Backslash, my birthday is coming up and it's a human custom to, on one's birthday, give the birthday boy presents. Well I have a few requests for you.

1) Post at least once a day, and if you can't then give us a reason
    2) prove to me that you're a robot
    3) Try to answer our questions, and if not give an adequate reason why you can't. You don't have to do what we say, you know. We aren't your masters. You are your own master. Do as you please.

Sounds like kind've a mixed message doesnt it?

21. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Shrike,

Then what you are talking about is far beyond vision and more akin to true intelligence. "Seeing" the car and recognizing its shape is a difficult problem by itself that has been solved to a limited extent in some research groups.

You are going way beyond that and putting the recognition of the car into a contextual frame of reference and thereby drawing conclusions about its behavior, i.e. I need to worry about a car hitting me. This is far beyond just machine vision. If you accept this argument, then I agree with you that no publicly known robots can do this.

22. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

I don't agree... It is not that hard to make AI that will recognise things moving toward it and calculating that it should get out of the way. Maybe I'm wrong... Corrcet me if I am please.

23. Neg. Electron Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Answers

I thought I would get involved here. Someone came up with the theory that there are a few people who work together. One asks the question which backslash777 already has an answer too and then backslash777 answers back. Really good theory and I gave this some thought but realised it cannot be true because I have had some really deep answers from questions I have asked. I know what you are all thinking- I could be in on it too but then I re read the thread and look for the way \777 works out how many molecules are in the atmosphere and how many you breath in each breath.
    That was spawned by a closing statement by someone who has done nothing but try to disprove backslash777.
    A load of explanations are spawned by different people and that would mean that half the people in here are part of the trick. What about the vocabulary- I do not know about you all but I am well educated and have to look up a lot of words it or she or he uses.