Axolotl pets.

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Sep 18, 2008.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I got a few Axolotl's a week or so ago, they are the strangest pets I have ever had. I was reading up on them and after I got em, I didn't realise how unique they are. On the endangered species list and only found living in a single lake in mexico.

They are not rare as pets I don't think though, which is strange for an endangered species. They are very important to scientific study I found out, capable of total limb regrowth and full regenerative ability. they also stay in premature form the entire life span, even though they become sexualy mature while in a larval like state. Bearing in mind that sometimes they are known for complete metamorphesis (E or A? I think a but whatever) completely changing form spontaniously into a salamander looking species with spots.

Im just feeding it whatever I find and think it would eat in the wild, worms small'ish fish, prawns etc (live). they are like half lizard, half fish, half frog with plants on there heads, but they are amphibians.

Strange creatures.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I put small gravel at the base of there prison tank, I read that it's bad for them, one of them keeps spitting it out all the time.

The guys at the aquarium were trying to act like its against the law to buy there other fish to feed the axo's. Comparing it to buying a cat for your dog to eat lol. Im just buying other tropical fish for them to eat, mainly south american ones to replicate a more natural homely feel for the lil plant heads.

they are eating more than there weight in gold at this rate.

peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

They suck up the small gravel when they're feeding, so you need to get coarser gravel.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

that's a cool pet man, how much was it?

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Yeah man I heard, Im going to change it soon I think.

peace.

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Only like £20 each. Roughly $35-$40. thats like £1 per year of its life span.

peace.

10. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

it lives 20 years?!?!?!?!?

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How are these different than Mudpuppies???

12. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Eww, what a strange creature! This one:

reminds me to Jozen-Bo

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

What type of creature is that? a fish or reptile or what?
    edit:
    nm you said amphibian.

14. superstring01 Moderator

I WANT ONE!!!

~String

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's a great example of neoteny. Some would say neoteny is also responsible for the recent development of humans. Our brain size compared to body size more resembles an infant than a typical adult primate.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Mac's new word of the day: Neoteny.

Neoteny (IPA: /niːˈɒtɨniː/), also called juvenilization, is the retention, by adults in a species, of traits previously seen only in juveniles (pedomorphosis/paedomorphosis), and is a subject studied in the field of developmental biology. In neoteny, the physiological (or somatic) development of an animal or organism is slowed or delayed (alternatively, seen as a dilation of biological time). Ultimately this process results in the retention, in the adults of a species, of juvenile physical characteristics well into maturity. The English word neoteny is borrowed from the German Neotenie, the latter constructed from the Greek νέος (young) and τείνειν (tend to). The standard adjectival form is "neotenous",[citation needed] although "neotenic" is often used.

(from Wikipedia)

Look ma...I dun learned me another $5 word.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

did you guys know they are the only species on earth which can reproduce in its laval stage?

oddly enough they are actually losing the ability to change into adults possably because of this

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I think they are similar to salamanders, but tend not to undergo metamorphosis in normal conditions.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They look cool. But I'm partial to turtles.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Billy T banned! That is utterly ridiculous. Cretins like Oil is Mastery, or electrafixtion and many others too numerous to mention are allowed to run riot, while a sensible, logical, contributing poster like Billy T is banned. Pure nonsense. If this is factual, expect a backlash.

So Idiot Asgaurd was responsible. Ignorant dickhead.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But is it different than a Mudpuppy? Or are they the same?