Australia foils chemical weapon attack~`~`~`~`~`

Discussion in 'World Events' started by vincent, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"What's the range of penalties in Aussie Land for "attempted terrorism"? I'd also be curious about how the prosecution can prove that they were actually planning to do it ...instead of just "joking around"?"
    penalties? i wouldn't have a clue
    proof? simply owning chemicals and blueprints of buildings is considered enough

"Are you aware of any common legal uses of kilograms of peroxide and acetone?"
    peroxide - bleach
    acetone - glue remover, can be added to fuel to increase efficiency
    do your own research next time

"People are allowed to own computers, however if they were using those computers to plan an attack?"
    that's a big if. has the government even made this claim? and if so, do you believe them without a confession or proof?

"Are you aware that instructions for the construction of a bomb were found on those computers?"
    are you aware that bombs are legal, and have many practical, peaceful applications such as; removing tree stumps from the ground, helping with mining, fishing, etc

"Did god also tell the US congress to approve the nation going to war???"
    nothing i have read has said this. i would guess that each congressman had a different reason for supporting bush

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You generally need a licence and/or permits to use explosives.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

James, what's the range of penalties in Aussie Land for "attempted terrorism"?

And if they "attempted" to blow up one person, is the penalty still the same as if they "attempted" to blow up all of Melbourne?

I'd also be curious about how the prosecution can prove that they were actually planning to do it ...instead of just "joking around"? In the US, something like "attempted" murder or more accurately in this case, "intended" murder, carries a far, far less penalty than murder.

Baron Max

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

New anti-terrorism laws are in the process of review in Parliament right now. I don't know the details of proposed penalties. I also don't know the details of our current laws dealing with terrorism specifically.

Sorry, can't help you with that, either.

I don't know where the burden of proof will lie in these kinds of cases. Maybe the terrorists will have to show that they weren't just joking around. There may be a presumption that if you possess explosives without a licence, and you have building or infrastructure plans, and a few copies of the "Beginners' Guide to being a terrorist" lying around the house, you're probably planning to commit a terrorist act. But I don't know.

Same in Australia.

9. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

For some reason I'm not convinced they were storing bucketloads of peroxide and acetone to bleach their dark hair, clean their toilet, or put in their petrol tank.

Oooh! Yes of course, now it makes sense, those extremist beardie muslims had a legitimate purpose for making bombs now did they? Oh they intended to make "practical peaceful" bombs. I see.... I guess we should give them benefit of the doubt? Even though they talked about dying as a martyr?

Bombs aren't fucking legal you twat. If it was used in an industry it would be stored at their place of work and they would have licenses.

Do you even live in Australia? Have you even been reading the news?
    Why are you defending these people? Some of them aren't even legally allowed to be here!

OOOh well nothing YOU'VE read has said this, haven't you just read the posts people have made? They've pasted it in there for you.
    Their "different" reasons, were the lies they were told, that has been proven.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

baron the penelty for murder is life in prison with 15-20 before parol, i would assume that the penelty for blowing up melbourne would be without parole

11. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"For some reason I'm not convinced they were storing bucketloads of peroxide and acetone to bleach their dark hair, clean their toilet, or put in their petrol tank."
    and im not convinced that they were planning to kill people

"Oooh! Yes of course, now it makes sense, those extremist beardie muslims had a legitimate purpose for making bombs now did they?"
    so you think that because they have beards, and are muslim they must be extremists and violent?

"I guess we should give them benefit of the doubt?"
    bingo. innocent until proven guilty - the conerstone of any fair justice system

"Bombs aren't legal"
    "If it was used in an industry it would be stored at their place of work and they would have licenses."
    so if an illegal thing was used in industry, they would have a licence for it?
    regardless, they didnt have bombs. they had plans... second of all, if they were trying to blow up a tree stump that they couldnt dig out, i wouldnt blame them for being too lazy to get a permit. would you?

"Do you even live in Australia?"
    alas

"Have you even been reading the news?"
    have you learnt from observation, and not merely from the news?

"Why are you defending these people?"
    why are you attacking them?
    sorry, ill try not to answer all of your questions with questions.
    i am defending a fair justice system, including racial and cultural equality, a fair trial and innocent till proven guilty

"Some of them aren't even legally allowed to be here!"
    "For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;
    With courage let us all combine
    To advance Australia fair."

"OOOh well nothing YOU'VE read has said this, haven't you just read the posts people have made?"
    why do you believe what's in their posts but not what is in mine? is it because i disagree with you?

12. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Its not your job, or my job to decide whether or not we are convinced they were planning to kill people.

So we should give people benefit of the doubt, thats fair, but its illegal to own most guns in Australia, and especially illegal to own explosives without a proper permit etc.'

Just because our national anthem says that doesn't mean our country should support ILLEGAL immigration. Just because the media and the government is guilty of scare-mongering the public, for ratings and political support, doesn't mean people don't have the right to be afraid, or dislike those who are allegedly threatening them with violence.

I have learnt from observation, and I'm not a bias or ignorant right wing nut like some.
    I don't attack many muslims, just these guys. They are destroying the reputation of their people, and their religion! Besides I have a muslim penpal who lives in lebanon.

I will certainly defend ANYONES right to be upset and angry with our government, and its involvment with the illegal invasion of iraq which has cost the lives of tens of thousands of innocent civilians.
    Do I have to pick sides on this issue? Can't I just be anti-violence, anti-war, anti-terrorism, anti weapons, anti bombs?

13. mountainhare Banned Banned

Huwy:
    Why not? Petrol is so expensive these days, it is prudent to try and increase its efficiency. In fact, increasing petrols efficiency could haul in quite a profit.

Quite simply, I'd wait for the hubbub to die down before running about screaming "OMG TERRORISTS HAVE BEEN CAUGHT11!!!ONEONE. They are innocent until proven guilty, and have a right to explain their actions. For all we know, they could have had peroxide so that they could go into hairdressing.

BTW, hydrogen peroxide is one of the best germ killing chemicals around.

14. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"Just because our national anthem says that doesn't mean our country should support ILLEGAL immigration."
    but our government could make immigraqtion legal. and then we would be supporting legal immigration, wouldnt we???

"people don't have the right to be afraid, or dislike those who are allegedly threatening them with violence."
    the only real violence i can see involving australians is in Iraq

"Can't I just be anti-violence, anti-war, anti-terrorism, anti weapons, anti bombs?"
    of course you can, but you have to actually prove that someone was planning on being violent, terrorising people, commiting war or using weapons and bombs (or are you aganst even their existance?)

15. mountainhare Banned Banned

That verse of our national anthem always makes me LOL, because it's such a load of BS. Although I guess we have 'boundless plains' in the middle of Australia, if you can survive in the desert.

16. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

but our government could make immigraqtion legal. and then we would be supporting legal immigration, wouldnt we???

WTF, Immigration is legal. We do support legal immigration.
    I was talking about illegal immigration, its illegal, we don't support it.

I think the Iraqis have a right to defend themselves against the occupying
    "coalition of the willing".

I'm not against their existance, as I said.
    Violent people are a disgrace to their own. Violent war-mongering westerners are a disgrace to the west, violent islamic extremists are a disgrace to muslims.

And I guess we will all have to wait and see what the court decides, looking at the evidence, (a lot of which we aren't aware of), and then we will see whether they are convicted or not.

17. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"I was talking about illegal immigration, its illegal, we don't support it."
    has anyone ever given you a reason why we dont support it? and why it is illegal?
    (and if you say it is illegal because we dont support it, and we dont support it because it's illegal, i will brain you)

18. mountainhare Banned Banned

Huwy:
    Well said. It's amazing how Westerners are furious when radical Muslims move to their countries and refuse to assimilate, forcing their views on others. Then these Westerners turn around and say 'RIGHT, time to go kick some Arab ass in Iraq, and give those barbarians some Western culture! Move out, alpha squadron!'

19. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

The coalition of the "killing" have contributed to tens of thousands of innocent civilian deaths in Iraq, (reliable estimates range between 50,000 and 100,000) yet we never hear about this. Remember "Operation Shock and Awe"?? Disgusting.
    All we hear about is september 11, september 11 (which was fuckin suspicious of a coverup anyway).

The majority of Australian's don't support illegal immigration - it is deemed illegal, because of Australia's low population, low birthrate - compared to other parts of the world. Unfortunately a preventative measure has to be taken to try and lessen the level of illegal immigration, otherwise it would get out of control - see Europe and the UK for example.

Just because I don't agree with people immigrating illegally, doesn't mean I support the mandatory detention of people for more than a few months.
    Its ridiculous that some people have been detained for more than 6 months - in many cases more than 3 years even 7 years for the longest detainee!
    Fuck I hate the howard government.
    As if it takes that long to determine someones status. It shouldn't take longer than 3 months in my opinion.