Attitudes to rape

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by James R, Oct 27, 2006.

?

I believe the following are mitigating circumstances in rape (see first post):

1. Woman was wearing 'sexy' or revealing clothing.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Woman had many past sexual partners.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Woman was drunk at the time (i.e. got herself drunk).

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Woman at no time clearly said "No" to sex.

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Woman previously flirted with the rapist.

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. Woman was in a relationship with the rapist at the time.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. Woman was married to the rapist.

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  8. Woman had consented to sex with the rapist on another occasion.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  9. Woman had a reputation for being sexually promiscuous.

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. None of the above.

37 vote(s)
    56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Need? or want? And women don't?
    Women won't?
    Where do you live? They buy me drinks.
    90% of the time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Of course I realize that "at some level". I was merely commenting on the unrealistic approach to sexual relations advocated by Dora the Explora.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Need. That's the difference. Women may want it, or not. Men need it. Look what happens when men are denied sex. We get priests raping young boys, or massive gay rape in prison.

The longer it's been since a man has had sex, the more it comes to dominate his thoughts. Consider the way you feel when you don't eat. Miss a meal, no big deal. Miss two or three and it starts to be all you think about.
    That's the point. Men buy women drinks, open doors for them, pay for their meals, buy them expensive things, the list goes on. All on the off chance the female will consent to a roll in the hay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As Baron Max wisely said, nobody has ever been recorded as dying from a lack of sex.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's not why that happens, Mad, and you know it full well. So ...why did you say that when you know it ain't true?

I don't think that's true, either. Do you have any info that would reliably show that to be true?

But they don't have to do that, it's what society expects of us in the western world, that's all.

At one time in my life, I gave up the silly game ...and just asked the girl politely if she wanted to go have sex. I was successful much more than you'd expect! But remember, lest we forget, she was also successful ...and many people fail to realize that.

Baron Max

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If I've ever said anything wisely, it's been purely accidental and through no fault of my own, and it would be wrong of me to accept credit!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Utter nonsense. Men do not NEED sex. They just convince themselves they do.
    Again nonsense.
    Sex is not sustenance.
    Then men are fools for being so submissive to their desires.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Men need release, one way or another. Avoid sex, avoid masterbation, and you'll be shooting off in your sleep. It's like old faithful. It needs to go off now and again.

12. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

I am sure you have sources to back this up?

If you truly believe men inherently want or emotionally need sex more than women then I have some beautiful lunar property to sell you.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

look what happens when you deprive the regular guy of sex. you get darksidzz. thats gotta be some kind of proof right there

peace.

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

Oli:
    I agree that men do not need sex, although they do need sexual relief (aka. masturbation).

Sex is a more abstract form of sustenance, much like appreciation.

Men (and women) were biologically sculpted to procreate and pass their genes on to the next generation. The sexual urge drives this instinct. To deny such a fact would be absurd.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And people can't overcome, ignore or deny their urges? The urge exists, certainly. But it's "controllable".

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

most people are not cut out to correctly overcome such instinctive urges and desires,

to ignore and deny them could be dangerous for other humans. it is never a good idea to just sweep instinctive urges under the rug unchecked, to bottle something up on an emotional level could cause somebody to explode with negative reactions,

peace.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Hmm like the desire to throttle someone that just cut you off for a parking space, the desire to "have one more pint" before driving home, the desire to stay in bed on wet weekday rather than go to work?
    Humans are always overcoming instincts and urges, sex is just one more.

18. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

you are assuming that one needs a mental boss idea to stop yourself in these situations. I feel the desire to throttle someone AND the fear of the consequences. Similar dynamics in each of these.

We always come up with excuses for why we must remain split rather than going deeper into our emotions and desires and trying to reconcile them on very deep levels. Instead everyone from rationalists to 'moral' religious people see it as inevitable that we must remain split as jailer and jailed, cop and criminal, inside ourselves.

But you don't really know this is true. There is a great deal of fear around exploring this and I respect that fear, but the idea that the only solution is guilt (religion) or self-restraint and over mentalizing of behavior (rationalism) is an assumption and one that is in fact incorrect.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No, I'm not assuming anything - I was just pointing out that we don't always act on our desires. They were the first couple that came to mind after a bad day at work...
    Again no. I don't do things because I've decided I don't want to.
    But I haven't claimed anything except that humans do not always act on their desires. Do you dispute that?

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

that was an unfair comparison oli and you know it. we are built for sex it is instaled into every bone in our body to accomplish reproduction and survival of the human race, its not the same as getting the sudden urge to throttle somebody who cut you up on the road.

the desires are much different, the desire to have sex is most likely the strongest male desire that exists. and thats most likely scientific fact.

peace.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yup. Unfair. Life is.

So what? It's still a fully controllable urge.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

that was a poor response oli, it had the explosive power of a wushu student.

flowery fist,

nah seriously if thats your reply then cant i just say, "rape is unfair so is life get over it who cares."

it can be controlled by most people, but obviously not by all as statistics show us.

peace.

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wushu? Nah. Kickboxer.
    But each of those urges are controllable... as is that for sex.
    And road rage isn't controllable by all of the population either. Education, education, education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.