Atitudes to depression

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Asguard, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

The purpose of this thread is twofold

The first is an atempt to stop people derailing my Depression Services!!! thread

My second reason is to try to understand why of all the mental illness there is such a stigma and lack of empathy around depression.

Off the top of my head (dont have the exact figures to hand at the moment) I belive the estemate of those who will suffer depression in there life time is at least 1/3

This can be for all sorts of reasons. It maybe caused by oviouse acute causes like the loss of a loved one, pet, job, social conacts ect. It could be acute pycosis trigged by drugs or achole or other adictions. It could be something that seems to have no root cause. The latter is exactly how it has been in my case. I have never been able to pinpoint a reason for my bouts of depression with the exception of the night i tried to comit suicide. At the time i was already in a deep depression anyway and i found out my parter had cheated on me which was the last straw so to speak. Luckly for me i chose what was tipically a female way to do it (ie sleeping pill overdose). In general men will not survive a suicide atempt as most men use vilont means to do it (ie hanging, gun, stab themselves ect) and most women use more reversable means (OD, slit wrists ect). This however can lead to worse problems in some cases. When i was on placements we transfered one young girl to the womens and kids hospital, she was around 15 and had tried to overdose on paracitamol. Unfortunatly paracitamol is pritty final, yes the orgional ambos got her to hospital and treated her and we picked her up and tranfered her to the kids but there was little chance she would live longer than about a month. She was going to die from liver failure which is a horible way to die because paracitomol is so toxic on the liver.

Suicide is not a "cry for atention" in most cases, its part of the disease progression of depression. Like most mental illness its has a biological and a psycological cause and effect. A drop in seritonin causes lower mood which makes you more suseptable to negitive thoughts which causes a drop in seritonin and off you go again. This is a spiral that can take you down and down until you either become catatonic or comit suicide. Generally in this spiral there is ONE cry for help to a friend, family member, total stranger ect and if that person is able to regionise the sign and show them that help is there then that have probably saved that persons life as much as jumping into save a drowning child is. This relies on people knowing what depression is, not making it a taboo topic and lissioning. That sign maybe as small as someones responce to the greating "how are you".

For some reason people view mental illness as different from a pysical illness. THERE NOT! both are real and BOTH need treatment, PROFESSIONAL treatment not bible bashes telling them that life is good and chin up. This sort of dissmissivness is EXACTLY what gets people killed. The best way to help someone suffering depression is to LISSION to them, this is the ONLY way you are going to know how immidiate there need for assitance is. If you start telling them "things arnt bad" or "other people have it worse" or what not they will just shut down and the next sign you will get will probably be a suicide atempt.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Asguard, depression is not treated with pills or chemicals or isolation of some sort. Depression is treated from within by the person themselves.

Giving anti-depressant drugs leads to more depression and suicide.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

depression is MANAGED by SSRI's and then treated using cognaive theorpy. Howevery you do need to stablise a person before they can be treated

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I just reread my post and i never even talked about treatment. I was talking about first line management not what happens once you enter the treatment phase

8. draqon Banned Banned

you said "they need treatment" , I disagree with you there from the start. They don't need treatment, there is no problem with them, they must help themselves because only they not some doctors can help them.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Oh god, i really pitty you, maybe i should start reffering to you as Tom. I hope you never suffer depression or scitophrenia, or bipola or any other mental illness.

What experiance do YOU have in dealing with people with a mental illness?

10. draqon Banned Banned

umm...I suffered depression. I am my own experiment. I know what helped me.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what clasification?
    For how long?
    why?

12. draqon Banned Banned

why? I left my country and all that was with it, I was left alone by my parents for 5 years, my grandmother and grandfather died consecutive year and I was not told about it ... yet I saw it happen in my dreams, I came to a state to university and now I feel alone oncemore...I have no parents here, I have no friends for the next 800 miles from me. But all that is gone, I found new hope in my own destiny I created for myself.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Congratulations, you managed to pull yourself out of it. However just because YOU could dosent mean that others find it as easy as you did. I dated a girl with bipola, should i critise her for being depressed or manic? No i shouldnt, she needed treatment and thats what she got

The same goes for those with clinical depression

14. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear you had a number of painful experiences and a lot of grief, its sounds like those were circumstantial issues that made you feel unhappy, abandoned, lonely, and grieving for loved ones who died.

If personal circumstances were the cause of your distress, it makes sense that person solutions should be found, and thankfully it sounds like you found them.
    I'm not sure if you were diagnosed with a form of depression by a trained professional as you haven't answered the question as to what "type" of depression it was.

This thread however, is talking about depression as a mental illness, which can often involve physiological symptoms and even biological/chemical causes.

I'm often told not to reference to wikipedia, but I'll do it anyway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression
    The opening sentence differentiates "temporary depressed mood when one "feels blue" from actual clinical depression, which is what is being discussed here.

It is difficult to determine in any case of depression what portion of it is due to circumstantial/environmental/childhood factors, and what portion of it may be due to chemical/biological/genetic factors. Also, the former can affect the latter over time and vice versa.

It makes intuitive sense that many would prefer that the approach they take to dealing with any of the former causes be therapeutic/natural/non-medical, whereas with mental illness caused by the latter factors (mentioned above) medication or other medical treatment may be required.
    Although most of the time in my opinion most people receiving medical treatments also benefit from combining this with therapy/counselling, education, social support, healthy lifestyle etc.

15. John99 Banned Banned

That is a horrible reason to want to kill yourself. Just remember that 'life sucks and then you die'. When you get depressed do you realize that what is happening is not normal?

The reason i ask is because i dont believe depression is a medical problem but more of an indication of what your own expectations as to how life should be. It is not like Bipolar or schizophrenia but more like something you can fix on your own.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Your wrong. Clinical depression IS a seriouse MENTAL ILLNESS

17. draqon Banned Banned

the biggest cure for depression is a test of faith/power of will

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what a load of crap, i seriously doubt you have ever experianced depression at all, yea you had some bad times. So? depression is a MENTAL ILLNESS not feeling low

19. draqon Banned Banned

yeah well when you feel low for years? is that just feeling low? When your parents envite you to Disney World and all you think is suicide and how to use the shoe laces to kill yourself? is that just feeling low? When your the only one in school with no friends and hating life, thats all just feeling low?

20. draqon Banned Banned

Test of will, is the tool to bring oneself back to life.

21. John99 Banned Banned

Your really making much more of it then it really is and i think that is part of the problem. Think of all the things you would have missed out on and for what??? Because of a woman and something you had no control over.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If this aplies to you you were LUCKY, someone somewhere probably helped you and you didnt know it because very few (I would suggest NONE) people ever sponatinously leave depression.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Have you people ever herd of anxiaty disorder or agrophobia?

They are mental illnesses VERY closly alined with depression and can actually occure in tandom with clinical depression