Atheists. What are your reasons for not believing in god?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by skaught, Apr 9, 2008.

1. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

that was a terrible example that doesn't really apply to your question at all. but i think other people have already covered that.

this is another exmple of your ignorance. "salvation" is part of your religion, not part of real life. therefor we don't acknowledge it, require it, or have a need for it.

i don't like speaking for anyone but myself, so this isn't an atheist opinion, its just my opinion/response.

I wasn't raised religious. sure i went to the little Sunday school summer camps with my friends etc. but i wasn't forced to practice anything at home. when i was in 10th grade biology we had to write a paper on the differences of creationism vs evolutionism, and our opinion (that would be graded pass/fail and wouldn't be shared with the class of course). I thought it was a silly assignment, until turn in day when a lot of other kids brought in papers about creationism. I had always regarded bible studies etc to be about morals and life lessons, not real people. "god" was never any different to me than Santa clause or the tooth fairy. I couldn't believe that people really thought these things were real!! (which is probably why i regard Christians as people of lesser intelligence). So there was never a time when i said "the world is bad, there is no god" or "i don't care about my salvation, there is no god". the world is what it is, salvation is a scare tactic. maybe if people didn't think that happiness was to come in the afterlife, they would be a little more motivated to care about what happens on earth than to blame it on a being that doesn't exist.

simplified answer: i never thought god was real to begin with and was shocked when i learned that there were people out there who actually thought it was real.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

This has been discussed already.

The beliefe in God is justified.

---------
    Saint Anslem to the rescue.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

If it's all your opinion, why do you feel the need to call others ignorant and less intelligent?

If you had confidence in your own "opinion" you shouldn't need cut others down.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redwards I doubt it Registered Senior Member

Well that's a rather interesting proclamation. I'd have to beg to differ, there, Chief.

Wow, even your sig is misspelled. It's Anselm.

8. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i didn't call anyone less intelligent. i said i view them less intelligent.
    like when you automatically use smaller words when speaking to a child and pat them on the head when they get the right answer.

assuming that people who dont beleive in something spend all of their time concerned with the individual peices of that something is an example of ignorance. therefor, the word applies.

="omg i have nothing else to say so im going to attack the fact the you used negative words to express your opinion which means im a better person and omgomg i win the god thing".
    grats.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've never understood that. If I was a believer I'd be more afraid. What if I went to hell???
    As an atheist, I don't worry about it. What is there to be afraid of?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yup, exactly my thoughts.

No offense Skaught, but I'm getting really tired of hearing that question

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

You're funny. I like you.

It's pretty common around here to hear people say that anyone who believes in god is stupid and crazy.It's old and tired. Excuse me for grouping you in with them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's even more common to hear a God botherer lead off a discussion by claiming to have been called names and abused by atheists routinely, and to be a victim of others' arrogance and presumption, and have there be no evidence or plausibility for the claim - which is nevertheless used as basis for argument ad hominum.

Projection, I think it's called.

13. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Not at all.

To think otherwise would be to accept a contradiction.

"Exist" and "after death" are mutually exclusive.

14. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Hey, Ice. How's it going?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's my reason for not believing in Santa Clause? It's obviously just made up.

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I never said I was a believer. But I am also not a non-believer. I don't consider myself to be either. Please do not assume that I am a believer just because I posted this thread.

17. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

That depends on what is meant by "exist" and "death".

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: That's what I think. I don't have to worry about hell anymore. Hell is what you make it. Even when I was a christian, I didn't worry that much about hell. It just seemed like a bad fairy tale.

19. i.bel Registered Member

As I said in another string on this..

And since the Moderators have allowed Multiple topics on the same issue posted by people who just want their own headline to say the SAME thing.....

And it's a Logical Fallacy to assume someone should believe something Not in evidence.
    Your question should be- "why do Some People belive in a God".

20. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

True enough. From that, you can easily see that my definitions would have to differ from those of skaught......