atheists stop trying to convert religious people into your godless religion.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by EmptyForceOfChi, May 4, 2007.

1. Bells Staff Member

You will be assimiliated! You WILL join the collective...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

How dare anyone question faith, religious texts and dogma! How dare anyone write those questions down! How dare anyone actually think for themselves instead of being a sheep and following what they are told to follow! Only religious books must ever be published...

No one is trying to convert anyone to atheism. Atheism cannot be converted to as one would convert to a religion.

An atheist is something each person becomes as an individual. No one can be forced to no longer believe, nor can they be convinced to do so. Just as an atheist cannot be forced or convinced that there is a God.

I can't go up to a believer and tell them they must now stop believing. Kind of pathetic if you think it so.

Atheism is not a religion. We do not send out missionaries to knock on people's doors to discuss atheism and why it is 'for you'. You're all clutching at straws.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Wrong there you are lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-a1vmZ6y8

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Satyr Banned Banned

I, personally believe in not believing…it’s my faith of non-faith.
    Reason be damned!!!!

I once met someone who did not believe in Ghosts.
    I labeled him the believer in not believing in ghosts.
    This made me feel better and it also made it seem like his skepticism, derived through critical thought and reason, was no different than my lack of skepticism derived through emotional reasoning and stupidity.

I once went to buy a car and told the salesman that I sent the money in the mail.
    The guy did not trust me and so showed little faith in my words.

I told him to prove that I did not send the money in the mail…he could not.

I left with a brand new car.
    I don’t know what happened to the money. It’s being metaphysically withheld because the guy was, obviously, a doubter and a sinner - serves him right to place his trust on man’s words.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Singularity Banned Banned

if she is wrong , then can u tell me about the customs traditions and books to be followed in Atheism ?

BTW, i wonder whats in that link.

8. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

The whole point was for you to look at the video on the link! This way you can understand the SARCASM!! DUH

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

firstly dont take everything personal, this thread is not directed at you so you cannot take it personaly. i have never said "all" atheists, i said "many".
    inner peace has nothing to do with guns

. personal protection gives me inner peace sometimes .

maybe religion is a broad term and we are not seeing eye to eye on the definition. as a group of people with the same belief system and way of life, following the same rule and faith that when you die there is no heaven and afterlife, and there is no god, to me is a type of religious mindset, i would call pagonism a religion also, maybe you wouldent and fair enough i respect that, and maybe it cannot describe atheism as a whole, this is true and i can agree, but i am also if you read my OP not putting all atheists in the same basket.

and i was not accusing you personaly of throwing tantrums, but i am accusing many atheists of throwing them, i could quote and paste some if you dont believe it? but i think we both know that is not needed and have seen it many times on the forum. as i said before do not take every sentance personaly, because this is not directed at a single person, you may be very polite in debate but many who share your beliefs are unfortunatly not the same,

and insulting me through polite coyness is fine with me, as you might notice i do not pride myself in grammer punctuation or spelling errors as i do not read through my own posts to correct myself, i do not use correct grammer in some situations on purpose, as shocking as it may sound i do know how to produce capital letters use periods/full stops hyphenate and use apostrophies, but all i do is use the odd dot to break down sentances so peole can read it, but i do admit to not bieng the best at spelling

finaly i am not treading down your use of ridicule, although parody and ridicule are not the only way to win a debate,

you seem to be taking everything a bit personal when i am addressing atheists in mass not individuals, read my original post for conformation if you have forgotten.

ps, i get the impression some people think i believe in god and am religious. well my retort is sorry i am not, i keep an open mind and am not that quick to think i know the mystery of the universe, i am neutral in the god camp. maybe maybe not who am i to say about such matters?

peace.

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

There is no BELIEF SYSTEM for atheism.
    Atheism is just "I do not have a belief in God".
    It covers a vast array of people WITH and WITHOUT differing belief systems. The only common thing is a lack of belief in God.

As would pagans.

Which would make you an atheist. Congratulations on admitting it.

11. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Hate to disagree with you Sarkus, the above would make him agnostic wouldn't it?

An agnostic is a intellectual coward, the decision of god is not only one of knowledge but also of acceptance, does one accept the assumptions of theist or does one deny them, do to lack of any credible evidence that such an entity exists, the agnostic is afraid to make a choice, one either accepts an assertion or does not, one can't just claim, (I don't know) when one is simply asking do you or don't you believe in X. Taking the middle ground is a cowardly move so others don't judge as "atheist" nor completely theistic, just an unsure, confused, individual or that the truth may never be known.

At the time Huxley coined the word "agnostic" it was a way to separate himself from religious rhetoric, and yet make himself appear to not discredit religious assertions, thus he apparently doubts god exists, but cowardly to admit it, for being prosecuted by religious nuts of his day!

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Undoubtedly also an agnostic, yes.

Theism / Atheism is a different aspect to religion than Agnosticism, and the two can be combined. They are not just differing points on the same line.
    One is about belief (and only about belief) and the other is about knowledge.

I am an Agnostic Atheist.
    My atheism is reached primarily through my agnosticism.

I appreciate that many consider Agnosticism the "middle ground" between theism and atheism - but it really isn't - especially when you accept that Atheism is "an absence of positive belief in God".

If Atheism only meant "I believe that God does not exist" then okay - I'd be happy to take Agnosticism as the middle ground.

But Atheism doesn't just mean that.
    Atheism is merely an absence of the positive belief in God - whether you have a positive belief in God's non-existence or not.

My point in considering him an Atheist was in part to try and demonstrate how the term ATHEISM should not automatically be associated with the "strong atheism" of the "belief in non-existence" camp.
    The majority of atheists are "weak atheists" - the "non-belief in existence" camp.
    And the majority of these weak atheists are also agnostics.

I guess we could argue about what "Atheism" really means (strong .v. weak etc) and thus where Agnosticism fits, but that's a different thread entirely.

13. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Surely and I think we've done that here a few times already. I've said it before, we are all unaware of the existence of such entity or not, thus atheism on my part is not about knowledge it's about denying theist's assumptions. All else breaks down to merely semantics and what new meanings we have given to the word. I've never had heard of "weak/strong atheist" till I came here to Sciforums, however for reasons that make sense to me, I'm with you on being a 'weak atheist' cause the strong atheist stance leaves him/her exactly where the theist stance is, an assumption that such asupreme entity is knowable and that it does exists, while the strong atheist not only denies it's existence but by claiming so, it's asserting he/she knows what god is!

14. Satyr Banned Banned

My belief in unbelieving is versatile.

When told to believe in what I do not see or another can provide no rational evidence, my skepticism becomes my faith.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Hold on a second there, Cochese. I'm agnostic. I doubt that God exists too but I have no problem letting anyone know my beliefs. If a theist tries to give me shit about it, he/she can go f-him/herself.
    I think religion is a big crock of shit, but on the flipside, who's to say that a supernatural deity of some sort doesn't exist? It's possible, albeit unlikely. I do think we were intelligently designed (even if it was by an advanced race of extraterrestrials (like the plot in 'Mission to Mars')). We are too complex and intelligent to not have been. I sternly believe in evolution as well, but that had to start somewhere too. I find it wierd that life would just sprout up out of nothing.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

implicit or explicit atheism is the only difference between atheists, it kinda seems like it might be a new religion in the future to me, with collection plates preachers churches and all

seen that southpark episode "go god go"?

peace.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

hey thats kinda harsh dont you think?. i wouldent call myself a coward for staying neutral. i am not an athiest i am not a theist, i am a daoist (well i try to be but sometimes i fail).

if i find true reason to one day say "hey i know there is no god," then i will be an athiest like you guys, and if one day i find a true reason to say "hey i know there is a god," then i will turn to religion, but for now in the words of cartman, screw you guys, im going home,

peace.