Atheism's Thirteen Biggest Flaws (without dysfunctional link, modship pending)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: DO NOT put words in my mouth! If I had meant that I worshipped MY FAMILY ONLY, I would have said that. If I meant that I worshipped only MY DEAR ONES ONLY, I would have said that. If I meant that I worshipped MY KNOWLEDGE ONLY, then I would have said that! Obviously, to be an atheist, I had to learn the TRUTH somewhere, since I was a formerly deluded christian. Materialism is for selfish people, of which I am not one.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I see a lot of selfish attitudes every sunday..on sunday religous TV programs.
    Rather than giving sermons on aiding people in need,making the world a better place( in truth..I see a small portion of this ,in all due fairness to some christians)
    I usually see some clown quoting scripture and hellfire and send the bucks in for your "miracle faith kit" and people in the crowd nodding in agreement in an attempt to reassure themselves that they are hearing the truth. It leaves you with the feeling that for many christians it's all about dis- regarding the problems common sense tells you lie with the bible(other than the outright lack of evidence that supports it)and it's depiction of god and saving your own butt to avoid the pitts of hell. Talk about selfish..sheesh!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

I am a devout christian and I too hate TV evangelists. Billy Graham is a brilliant man but besides that, its tough. Joel Osteen is ok. The rest are fake and are probably doing it for the money. Pat Robertson is giving us a bad name.

Please don't judge an entire religion, composed of millions, by a few dozen domesticated monkeys who somehow got on TV.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I don't

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I did not say it was proof.
    What would you regard as sufficient evidence to warrant a BELIEF in God?

Jan.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

For prayer to work a higher percentage of the time than can be accounted for by randomness.

For one biological structure of irreducible complexity to exist.

For the light from stars greater than 5,000 or 10,000 light years away to be invisible, having as yet insufficient time to reach us.

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Buddha.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He dumped his wife and kid, so doesn't count.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Dumped them... in a palace. It was probably an arranged marriage anyway.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Which makes no difference to the fact that he abandoned them. Hardly unselfish.

14. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

He was both non-materialistic and selfish. He may have been both at one time, but he embodied both of these qualities at the same time while being an atheist. Play semantics and be argumentative for the sake of inflating your spammed up post-count all you want, but the facts are facts.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not semantics. He abandoned his responsibilities as a prince, his parents and his family because he feared sickness, old age and suffering. His doctrine preaches abandonment of desire and his altruism neglects the role of social responsibility to hermitage and isolation. Can't get any more selfish than that.

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I used to watch Jimmy Swaggart just to see him cry!

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

spidergoat,

How do you know it doesn't already work 100% of the time?
    What would you regard as a 'prayer that works', what is the conclusion based on?

Why would this mean that God exists necessarily?

Jan.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's common knowledge. This fact is usually explained away as "God has mysterious ways". It's seems like a kind of selective attention. In support of prayer, we are given examples where people prayed and it worked. But those same people fail to acknowledge all the times it doesn't (even when the pray-er is sincere).

When the outcome that is prayed for occurs? The one scientific test I'm aware of used churchgoers to pray for someone recovering from surgery to get well. The outcome was compared to a control group.

In the biological case, it would mean it didn't evolve from simpler, useful structures.

In the case of stars, it would mean that they were placed there according to the timeline commonly associated with the biblical account.

In either case, it wouldn't be proof, but it would count as evidence in favor of theists.

19. Fathoms Banned Banned

You aren't exactly making a compelling case for youself here. You seem to believe this about atheists because you want to, not because there is any good reason too. On what basis do you presume to tell me what I do and don't believe, and judge my moral character negatively in lieu of nothing more than a generalization?

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

spidergoat,

The question is; do people who see God as an order-supplier, demanding this and that, for the purpose of satisfying their whims, actually pray?
    If you study scriptures you will note that people who actually pray, address God, are authorised.

You assume it is "explained away". If God exists, then He is entitled to have "mysterious ways", wouldn't you say.

But it has occured, people have testified to that, despite the assumption that some of the prayers didn't. Why don't you regard that as evidence?

Then so does the evidence of testimony. Why do you doubt it?

Jan.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Let us concentrate on those pray-ers that are sincere and undemanding. What is the percentage of those prayers that are answered?

Suppose the person who studies the answer isn't the person who prays?

Fine, let's only observe those people. I'm willing to set up the experiment that way.

Then you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to say God obviously exists, but can offer no testable hypothesis to prove or disprove. That's like if I had an imaginary friend who I only see when I'm alone. Could I really expect anyone else to believe it?

Here's an example. Let's say I hypothesize that wearing my socks inside out makes me lucky. Suppose I happen to be wearing my socks inside out and I do win the lottery. Is that evidence that wearing my socks inside out caused me to win the lottery? ...Or was it just a coincidence?

There are already established ways to distinguish real effects from coincidence. So far, the effects of prayer are indistinguishable from mere random chance.

Because people can be tricked. They see what they want to see. They see magic tricks and believe them. They believe in good luck charms. We fall for optical illusions, we hear voices, we have hallucinations. Basically, people are irrational, and my intent is to separate the rational from the irrational.

Testimony is enough to start the investigation, but it can't end there.

22. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Sorry Sam but I find it somewhat amusing that one who follows the religion laid down by Muhammed is accusing anyone of being selfish.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Taking a wife is selfish. Basically, it's like saying we aren't good enough as individuals, I have to assume an artificial connection to another person. To commit to one individual is to exclude every other person on the planet. True love doesn't pick favorites.