Atheism & Theism...A Common Denominator

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Aug 10, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why does it have to be alien? Neurotransmission isn't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. earth Registered Senior Member

You ask me and I gave you my opinion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. noodler Banned Banned

God is a word, which cannot be spoken, only heard.

-- attributed to ibid.

Psychosis is a delusion, which starts with the mistaken conclusion that one is important, to the world, rather than in the world. This leads to incorrect thinking or consideration of one's real place in the world. Psychosis ensues if the person is not disabused of their impressions of self-import.

-- attributed to some shrink or other.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The OP is linguistically flawed.
    1. A belief is a claim of knowledge. You are separating one claiming to believe, and one claming to know.

2. There is no such thing as:
    "Neither one has any hard evidence" period.
    Linguistically, all that means is:
    "Neither one has any hard evidence that I personally accept".

3. There is the claim about ignoring the possibility that gods don't exist. There is no such thing as ignoring a possibility or not ignoring a possibility. It is linguistically irrelevant. If one believes 1000% that God exists, then he must switch to atheism if some form of justification compels them to do so. If one believes 1000% God does not exist, then he must switch to theism if some form of justification compels them to do so.

4. Fortunately, the OP has placed the proper linguistic connotations on the terms.
    Thesim - God exists.
    Atheism - God does not exist.
    Undecided - Neither atheism or theism.

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Incorrect. There is a distinct difference between a claim of belief and one of knowledge.

Despite that error, oddly enough, with the rest of your post I mostly agree.

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately your "linguistic connotations" for Atheism and "Undecided" do not tally with the definitions now in place for this forum: http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=95294

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We've established in a different thread that all claims of knowledge are a belief. If one linguistically states "X is definitely true" (or "I know X is true"), it means he believes that X is true. If one linguistically states "I believe X is true", it is possible that he means he is undecided, but tends to lean towards the position that X is true. Or he may mean that he beleives X is true.

Because of the way language is used, thought becomes distorted leading to the misconception between what is said, and what is meant. There is a clear difference between the statement "I believe" and being in actual state of belief. Yet people think they are one and the same.

When somebody states "I believe", he usually (not always), is not in a state of belief, but in a state of indecision whilst leaning towards a particular position. When somebody states "I know", he is always in a state of belief on a position. A state of belief is a conclusion about a particuilar matter. Unless the individual is in a state of conclusion on the matter, he doesn't possess a belief.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I believe I know or ..... I am not in a state of belief about being in a state of belief.

I know I believe or..... I am in a state of belief about not being in a state of belief.

Philosophic doubletalk means squat to me. Of course I have a built in disdain for religious philosohers so I'm biased. Let me substitute your definitions into simple phrases.

I know this or I always believe this but then I'm not in a state of belief but of indecision. Huh?

God knows what I do every minute or God is in a state of believing He knows what I do every moment.

So if God believes He knows what I do every minute then God is in a state of indecision about being in a state of belief or not knowing what I do every minute.

Oldest trick in the book. Christ almighty, the limits someone will go to just to make their delusions seem real. It boggles the mind.

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Interesting. I've never encountered this philosophical breakthrough in all my years..
    You should notify one of the top philosophical journals.

Incorrect.
    See my last post.

Now with this, I agree fully.
    Thus, the distinction between the state of belief, and the state of knowledge (and claims to each).

Agreed.

Incorrect. All indecision has been removed.

Incorrect. It is an inconclusive position about a particular matter (as you yourself have pointed out above).

Precisely.
    Translated: when one asserts knowledge, one doesn't possess a belief.

13. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Un/not in a state of belief but of indecision while leaning towards a particular position/able!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What if he has?

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No. It is god's responsibility.

You have a relationship with something you choose to call god.
    What does calling it god mean?

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If you are actually having the experiences you report, calling it god & assuming it is benevolent & reliable could hurt yourself & others.

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Tnerb?? I thought you were banned??

Translation: I cannot make any sense of what you wrote here.

17. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Un/not in a state of belief but of indecision while leaning towards a particular position/able!!!.....The word unbelievable written according to the definitions of lixluke

18. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Ah. So in other words, nonsense.

It's really pretty simple, even semiotically:

unbelievable = non-believable = known

19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Simple? Yes, but for lixluke .... well....hardly.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You need to 1st apply that to yourself.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Each of you has good evidence that Brad Pitt exists tho.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You do not understand scripture.

23. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Lol! What you mean is that you have stated in another thread that all claims of knowledge are a belief.

And is this going to be yet another thread hijacked by your "knowledge / belief" rantings? I do hope not.