Atheism is a belief.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tht1Gy!, Nov 3, 2007.

?

I know how to use a dictionary.

1. Yes, and I incorporate its info.

57.1%
  2. Yes, but I still like to make up definitions as I go along.

20.4%
  3. No, I believe in "Truthiness"

34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And the theists ? Can you direct some words to them as well ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What for? There are leigitimate theists and legitimate atheists. No matter what you believe, it is your duty to impose it to an extent. If what you believe is the truth, by all means, let others know about it. However, regardless of what it is, when somebody gets caught up in self-righteousness (disrespect of the beliefs of others) fanaticism about it to the point he/she starts taking things personal, they lose all objectivity, and are no more than a lunatic zealot. It is perfectly OK to believe there is a God. It is perfectly OK to believe there is no God. It is perfectly OK to spread what you believe whether it is religious or not. All topics around here are typically discussing our beliefs with others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hey lixluke, nice dodge, as the comparison I made is clearly fallacious;

"I do not believe I will win the lottery this weekend = I do not believe there is a lottery I can win."

which totally blows your statement;

out of the water, what do you do? Support your statement? Explain it further? No, you ignore it.

When expanded, your statement clearly falls flat, but you aren't gracious enough to admit it. If you can't make your point without raping English grammar, I suggest you give up, 'cos you just look desperate and ill educated.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I get what you are saying but you are only pointing out the bad side of atheism, while conveniently ignoring a whole realm of bad sides of theism.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Please explain what theism has to do with the purpose of this thread.
    This thread is basically about the definition of atheism. Theism discussed in this thread should only be discussed as it relates to the topic. Why would I point out "the bad side of theism" or anything else regarding theism when it has no relevance to supporting the points I made regarding this topic? I point out the bad points of neither theism or atheism as doing so is irrelevant to this topic.

I didn't respond to it because it does nothing. It does not even relate to the statement I made. If anything, it reinforces it. Furthermore those 2 statements of yours being EQUAL is logically invalid. Why would I respond to nonsense?

Here:
    1. I do not believe I will win the lottery this weekend. = I believe I will not win the lottery this weekend.

2. I do not believe there is a lottery I can win. = I belive there is no lottery I can win.

9. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

You appear to be saying "Santa doesn't exist, therefore god doesn't exist. So there!"
    Not much of a rebuttal. :bugeye:
    Look, I could go on about what I believe or don't believe, but it would compleatly miss the point.
    Regardless of where one comes out on the issue, it still rests on what one believes!

10. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

The OED* is the standard. I have no problems with it. In fact, Thanks. (I'd be interested in the entire entry, if you'd be so inclined.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    BUT the core word is BELIEF!!!

*Besides, challenging the OED would be foolish (and put me in with the crazies I spoke of earlier.

)

11. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

There's that word again.

12. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

He's a christian. Fuck christians!

I gots no use for the vast majority of 'em.
    As the bumper sticker says: "Jesus-Save me from your followers"
    And the fundies are worse than all when it comes to arrogance of their 'rightness'
    Ugh!

Hey All: News Flash More people who believe in a god of of some sort, don't buy in to the JC myth than those who do. Which is to say Christians are a minority.
    Not in the 'States, but U.S.ians are also a minority.
    So Pls stop speaking/writeing from a point of view that assumes "Theist=Christian" or some other follower of 'the cult of Jehovah', that sick bastard.

Ps just for the record: "Jesus is alright with me" It's just, I don't believe he's gonna take on the guilt/karma/sin for the cowards who haven't the guts to "meet their maker" on their own, so to speak.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

A lack of a belief is not a belief. An absence of something isn't a rival form of it.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure you understood why I pointed him out. He is saying that I cannot possibly love nature because I am an atheist, or in better words because I don't believe in God.
    I'm assuming you love nature, what is your reaction to his assertion ?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because you are providing a one-sided view and one, I hope, misrepresents your own views.

16. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Your assumption is correct. I 'love nature'. Nature is god. Just like 'everything is god'.
    I don't see any reason an atheist can't love nature]. It does seem though that many/most find "loving nature" a waste of time, as it is 'dead, lifeless' in the "prana-nic" sense. Capiesh?

nature=universe 'dead, lifeless'

I'm not saying atheists think plants are 'dead, lifeless'

*I'm not sure either. Pls explain__________

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm but if it's dead you can still love it..

18. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Ergo- "I don't see any reason..."

lol

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I may have misinterpreted the "though" there

20. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

though--as if
    T1G! out.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thanks

Sorry to ask but can you explain what "prana-nic" means ? I can't find a definition.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Probably a misspelling. He can't spell capisce either.

(It's Italian.)

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm so far I have figured out that "prana" is Sanskrit for "breath" and comes from Hinduism.
    It apparently is something similar as the Chinese Qi. So I assume it is life force.
    If this is how he meant it, he has got more to explain.. lol
    I still can't place "nic" though..