Atheism is a belief.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tht1Gy!, Nov 3, 2007.

?

I know how to use a dictionary.

1. Yes, and I incorporate its info.

57.1%
  2. Yes, but I still like to make up definitions as I go along.

20.4%
  3. No, I believe in "Truthiness"

34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know, and he is comparing it with someone that ate ocra but didn't know it was ocra. "We already know God" should equate to "He already knows what ocra tastes like" in his analogy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

It's not flawed.
    You see, some theists will claim that "we all already know God" and they claim that some of us deny that, or don't remember it - which could technically be so. In this case, it's like having eaten a food whose name you do not know. So you can't say anything but "this food tastes bad" or "this food tastes good", you can't call it by its name.

Those theists refuse to give us the credit that we (or at least some people) in fact do not know how to recognize whether we "know" God or not. We might have indeed "tasted" God, but as long as we don't know what God is, we won't be able to qualify that which we "tasted" as "God" - so we can't say anything more about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

This would be so only from the theist perspective.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I see, but then you don't know it. Perhaps you once knew it, but apparently not anymore :shrug:
    Or.. these theists claim that atheists are lying. That they do know God but deny that they know it. This would be a particularly stupid claim though.

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Welcome to the ugly world of proselytizing ... :bugeye:

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm too innocent..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

It's been my experience that most atheists, in addition to not believing in God, also believe there is no God. In any case, I was trying to find out what atheists here believe.

(note superluminal: Q was not a term for 'an atheist', it is Q's name)

Q seems to think the statement
    "Q believes there is no God"
    is neither true nor false.

I now know that
    "Superluminal believes there is no God."
    is false.

And I appreciate that you could indeed make a decision on the issue.

Any other atheists out there who can let me know where they stand on such a statement with their name at the beginning?

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Enmos does not believe in any God.

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Why didn't he?

Q could have said the statement
    Q believes there is no God
    is false.

But he did not.
    I think, perhaps, you should be a bit more agnostic about what he will do.

13. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Do you believe there is no God?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No..

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ocra exists, and we could easily justify a statement about Ocra, if I had or did not have experience with Ocra.

Theists claims for the existence of gods are something completely different and cannot be compared with things that do exist.

Hence, the statement as to the existence of gods is null, as I have no inclination to believe or disbelieve in gods, but instead, to accept or not accept the claims of theists, regardless of what they claim as indemonstrable.

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Thank you. (I mean for the simple direct answer, that is.)

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Heh.

I know.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Maybe.

Just a little aside here... I've been posting here with Q for some years now. I thought he might agree that not having a belief at all (he calls it null) would be something he might agree with. I could certainly be wrong.

19. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

You and Q responded in different ways. He said the statement Q believes there is no God is neither true nor false, it is null. You said such a statement made about you was false. Enmos answered clearly the same way you did. The statement would be false in relation to her.

He may very well agree with what you have said above, but you each handled the question related to, essentially, do you believe there is no God, differently.

I am sure you do know his beliefs, and lacks of, better than I do.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  20. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Then you're an agnostic, right?
    That is to say "I don't believe in a god, but I won't say that a god doesn't exist", right?

See, this is the beginning, middle, and end of my point. (Well, maybe not the middle

)

The word "Atheism", as defined by every major/scholarly dictionary, means: The Belief that God does not exist.

Please, please, look it up for yourself. You'll see. And maybe, just maybe learn to use the word properly. (Please don't bring up ancient greek again, 'cuz I ain't speekin' bout no dam greek! I'm speekin 'bout A'murican.)
    See, I don't care if one believes in a god or not, it's a personal choice.
    Fuck Pascal.

BTW, I will repeat; all, (most) of the fanciful things suggested were suggested by the so call atheists.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well if I must pick something else than 'atheist' I'll pick 'agnostic atheist'..
    But I think I'm somewhat in between and leaning towards atheist more.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See it's much like it is with Santa Claus..
    I don't believe in Santa Claus, you can than say that I must believe that Santa doesn't exist.. but is there proof of that ?
    One cannot proof a negative. But by far the most logical stance is that Santa Claus does not exist.
    It is thus not considered belief when one states that he or she does not belief in Santa Claus.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

My Websters New Collegiate Dictionary (Copyright 1975 by G.&C. Merriam Co.) has the following:

atheism:

1a: a disbelief in the existence of a deity
    1b: the doctrine that there is no deity

atheist:

one who denies the existence of god -
    shared meaning element: one who does not take an orthodox religious position. ant theist

Now, please, oh please tell me which one is "right"? Will you force one or the other on me? Or will you accept it when I (we) say that the preferred definitions that self-proclaimed atheists use are:

1a: a disbelief in the existence of a deity

and

one who does not take an orthodox religious position. ant theist

Now, I dare you to argue further this idiotic point of atheism being a "belief". It's not subject to interpretation given the meanings that atheists themselves subscribe to.

Go ahead. Argue with me.