Atheism a religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by flameofanor5, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

I don't know; I can't speak for all atheists.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think the case here is that people confuse atheists with atheists who think that their way is the only right way, so they have the right to convert others into atheism, i.e., people who are bothered by theists and "have to show the way to reason", just as christian missionaries have to show the way to Christ.

In this regard atheists can exhibit religious people like simptoms.

Oh, and I think such atheists suck monkey balls - the same I think about any religious zealot or extremist. They lack respect for other people, a simpe courtesy they are too childish to allow themselves.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for explaining that to all these monkey ball sucking atheists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But, you just said that atheism can be a religion. In order for that to occur, atheists must make claims to supernatural entities that control human destinies. What claims have you seen that would lead you that conclusion?

8. Roman Banned Banned

Whoa whoa, I was putting a possibility out there. You know, something like "a unicorn could totally tear your fucking throat out, fucktard," except I've never actually seen a unicorn, much less watch one tear a fucktard's fucking throat out.

But to more directly answer your question:
    Your behavior convinces me that atheists can, and do, behave just as religious people do.

So thanks for the (Q)ED.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

QED indeed.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sure we can. And do at times. But the point is that our stance is in no way a religious one. By definition. As Q pointed out above.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Religion's the results. You know, sort of like how the good book says thou shall not kill and turn the other cheek, but every good jesus lover wants to see some dead ragheads?

Same thing.

12. Roman Banned Banned

Oh shit, let me quote Richard Dawkins now, pbuh.

Whatever you guys.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

My pleasure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But, let's get something straight. The behavior you refer to and the object of that behavior should be clarified before you begin to make comparisons.

Can you explain the behavior you refer?

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That seems approximately backwards, at least among the religious people I know.

You seem to be equating the existence of arrogant jerk behavior with the presence of religion.

Seems unlikely, to me.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so the christians you know all gather around and talk about what a great writer paul was or something?

16. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Good for you, what about the other 200,000,000 *rough estimate* atheists out there? Are they following the atheist religion?

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Well you could say that Buddhism is also defined by the path or the means to enlightenment. The eightfold path.

However Ive noticed in the far eastern versions there is little talk of such things. They have drawn their own maps to the same destination.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

People can act that way out of patriotism, love, and many other motivations including--in the case of many of us atheists--pure exasperation. This does not mean that any of those things are religions.
    Religion is not defined by its results, it is defined by its premises. Religion is belief that a supernatural universe and the creatures who inhabit it control our lives. The statements and commands attributed to specific prophets define the differences between their religions.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You can only make atheism a religion if you redefine "religion" in a way that robs the term of most of its normal meaning. Religion is the worship of or belief in supernatural forces, deities, or realities. Since atheism isn't a belief in a supernatural force, deity, or reality, it is by definition not a religion. If you want to call anything that anyone believes in and is pationate about a "religion," then sure, I guess atheism is a religion. So is belief in gravity, or the U.S. Democratic party, or your spouse, or anything else. Hey, I like the French language and I try to get other people to learn it. I guess that’s my religion now

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That would be more in line with your assertions, than mine.

No one I know worships Paul, and I doubt many Christians ever did. Most Christians I know follow his teachings and belong to a religion largely founded by him.

Foillowing the teachings of a founder of a religion, thinking very highly of said person as a person of enlightenment and worthy insight, is not the same thing as worshipping that person, agreed ?

Is this a difficult concept, for some reason ?

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

And people do that because they have this annoying habit of revising their languages in real time.

Many people called communism a religion. In my own field, IT, people say that in some organizations the Capability Maturity Model is a religion.
    Poul Anderson maintained that Christianity should really be called Paulism.

22. Roman Banned Banned

You wouldn't get it. But that's ok. Religious people rarely do.

How should I know?

Hmm, well, yeah, alright. If you define a religion that way, sure. Maybe a better term would be cult?

Regardless, hardcore religious people and hardcore democrats and hardcore atheists all have the same sort traits.

Depends on the level of belief, really. Or rather, the level of attachment. Semantically, atheism isn't a religion, if we define religion as a belief in supernatural stuff, etc. However, I know atheists that behave the same way religious people do. Their behavior is a product of their (non)beliefs, and in the case of atheists, it doesn't really make sense. But that's ok; fundamentalists rarely make sense.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hah! Roman has you pegged to a tee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.