Athe-ism.

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by lixluke, Jan 5, 2010.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

1. Not theistic can pretty much be said to be the same as without theism. However, there are non-atheists that are not theistic or 'without theism'.

3. Those 3 'a' words have no use outside of hood-slang. They're only an abomination when it comes to proper grammar. And even if those were legit, what relevance do they have to 'atheism'? Let's say those 3 words were normal everyday words, what then? Putting an 'a' in front of the type of 'ism' in the context of an ideology negates it? Where exactly in language does an 'a' ever imply a 'lack of belief' in an 'ism' in which 'ism' is used in the sense of an ideology?

Such as the 'isms' here: http://phrontistery.info/isms.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So in other words atheism can mean without theism.

Already shown to be legit, once more you bring up something that has been shown to be wrong.

And once more you claim that there are certain categories of word that don't follow the rules the rest do: and they turn out to be the words YOU want. Fraggle has given a word - agnosticism.

Edited by Moderator to damp down flame war. BTW: "Hood" is AAVE (African-American Vernacular English) slang for "neighborhood" and is shorthand for the inner city, or for the turf of a specific gang of juvenile delinquents..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

As for agnosticism. Agnosticism is not a lack of belief either. It's the the refutation of gnosis. Furthermore 'a' in front of 'ism' words in which 'ism' is not used in the same context don't apply to an 'ism' word such as theism. They have no relevance. You can collect all the 'isms' with 'a' in front of them that you want. They are not examples of an 'a' negating an 'ism' that is being used in the context of this discussion. They only apply to 'isms' which have completely different meanings. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by Moderator to damp down flame war.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Frag,

You might want to read through the whole thread before posting like this.
    Take a look at my first post in this thread (#6), and following.....

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I made my point in the OP to which you made up 3 words to refute the point. But let's assume 2 things.
    1. The words you posted are legitimate and real.
    2. The words you posted us 'a' to negate the 'ism' in front of it.

Regardless, the 'ism' in those words is not the same as the 'ism' being discussed. They are 2 completely different suffixes. Just like block (cube) and block (street block) are 2 completely different words that sound the same, the "ism' in those words is a completely different suffix than the "ism" being discussed. You might as well be talking about the "ing" suffix. The "ism" in those words is no more the same suffix as the "ism" being discussed as "ing" suffix is.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Terminology?
    Dagobert D. Runes, Dictionary of Philosophy, 1942.

Post edited by Moderator to damp down flame war

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Actually, 90% of talking to my friends is anything but standard definitions. We don't even call anything by their proper names. Hell even reviewing Avatar rarely called anything in the movie what they were meant to be called. If I see Ripley in a movie, I'm going to call her Ripley in my review no matter who she's playing. But as long as the message gets accross effectively, word usage and terminology are irrelevant.

What I am saying regarding 'kindergarten' and 'preschool' refers to the lot who use 'atheism' under the infidel format (strong-atheism, weak-atheism, agnostic-atheism, or whatever), and are actually serious about it. So should I be politically correct, and let them be? So they can continue running around 'correcting' others who actually use the terminology according to normal standards?

I'll admit that everybody does have their beliefs. And I've always made it a point that it is illogical to tell somebody not to proselytize. Or to tell him not to 'correct' others whose religion or beliefs he considers to be incorrect. (With the exception of assholes who proselytize the belief that people shouldn't proselytize their beliefs). I think it's a good thing that a person believes X, and will go around correcting others according to what they consider true. Otherwise, we wouldn't have any discussions and nobody would learn anything.

There is no doubt that I have continued to make it clear how absurd I consider the infidel terminology to be. Over the course of years, I've seen alot of abuse and bullying by those proselytizing it. Are people still going to continue to use infidel terminology? Sure. Should I not be so derogatory towards those people who do? Perhaps sometimes. But perhaps sometimes not. Either way, I have found no reason to take people who use that type of terminology seriously. Should there really be any other way to see somebody who bursts out with something like "strong-atheism" as anything but a total clown?

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Thus, you do recognize alternative usage of terms.

So, you mean, alternative usages.

It has nothing to do with being politically correct.
    You either understand their usage, or you do not.
    If not, then it falls to you to attempt to understand them. If you choose not to do this [as you have done, with respect to your friends..], then misunderstanding will obviously arise. Assuming it is not your goal to misunderstand, then it's clear that you must engage with these 'alternative users' in a less confrontational manner than you're making use of in this thread.

'luke,

you know as well as I that I am often quite particular about the proper usage of terms.
    Despite this, I am significantly less dogmatic about it that you have been here. The reasons for this I've made mention of above. You cannot 'enforce' meaning. Meaning is fluid and contingent; while every term does have its ancestral meaning, there is nothing that necessitates that this is fixed. Usage is always the final arbiter of meaning.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR * * * *

I have used my industrial-grade vacuum cleaner on this thread. I surely have not done a perfect job and I apologize if any of you thinks he has been slighted because I appear to be biased toward one point of view or another. The point is that you should ALL be ashamed of yourselves for behaving this way in a place of science and scholarship.

SciForums members are supposed to respect the scientific method, one of whose tenets is that discussions are supposed to MOVE FORWARD. Taking turns telling the other guy "you're wrong" stalls the forward motion and is a type of trolling. Turning it into a flame war with personal insults is even worse and you can be banned for that.

I do not tolerate this on the Linguistics board. I realize that this thread was moved from somewhere else where the rules are different so I'm not going to worry about what has already been done. But in the future, PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES.

Thanks,
    --F.R.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a professional editor I have a right to a professional opinion and my professional opinion is that these guys need a good whuppin'. I do not tolerate this mangling of the language in the documents I am responsible for.
    I can't type your handle without tripping over my fingers, but I assumed it is a Welsh name pronounced more-or-less "Dewey" and has been respelled that way in English. Sorry if I'm wrong.
    In my editorial opinion, yes. I won't criticize you too harshly but I will praise Luke for getting it right and upholding what few standards English has left.
    Apparently they need to hire a better class of editor. I'm available.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

American dictionaries are famous for having abdicated their role as defenders of proper language, and just printing whatever the hell they see in writing. Sometimes I think their lexicographers just wander around jotting down graffiti.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

A "mangling of the language" that was accepted usage before you were born...

And as stated, it also dates back to at least 1956 and includes British usage.

Footnote:
    Yet you assumed a different pronunciation previously, and were given the the correct one. Nichevo.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Only one year before. Anyway languages have been mangled for thousands of years before I was born. In many cases the mangling is just an attempt to make the language do something it has no facility for, to adapt it to the future. But it's easy to coin academic words in English, with its rich trove of Latin and Greek roots and particles. I don't understand why they took such a cheap shot with no good reason.
    And the Brits used to rail at us for ruining the King's English!
    Sorry. I either missed that post or just forgot.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In print that year. Presumably it must have been in use for a while before that to be accepted.

Of course we did/ still do.
    It's YOU doing it and not us.
    NIH works for everyone.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!