Assisted suicide - thought?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by High Voltage Blonde, Mar 1, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It's sometimes called "sweet death."

However, it's not clear whether one would indeed die of such sweet death if one were to intentionally place oneself in a situation where one would get severe hypothermia.

Deliberately jumping into a frozen lake with the intention to kill oneself might bring along horrible psychological suffering, worse than the one one was trying to escape from.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@wynn --

What? My morals are rotting because I know from personal experience that death is preferable to certain kinds of pain? Or because I know that I would choose a quick and painless death over a protracted and utterly pain filled death? Or because I disagree with you?

Which is it?

This is a red herring. It has nothing to do with either the topic or the euthanasia method I(and the OP) was referring to. That method is gentle, especially when you compare it to other ways of dying, especially the one's I've experienced. You get a six inch blade shoved in your gut and then you can tell me that the method in question isn't gentler, until then you just don't know while I do.

And which orifice, if you don't mind me asking, did you pull this one out of. I didn't even come close to saying this anywhere in this thread, nor would I. Personally I was thinking of circumcision which we still wrongfully force on millions of infants every year and which is painful enough to send them into shock. But I could have just as easily have been talking about all of the coal miners we allow to die rather violent deaths every year too.

If you were attempting humor then you've failed. If you were attempting to make a legitimate point to defend your position then you've failed.

Ethical considerations with zero connectivity to the world around us(i.e. that don't reflect observed reality) are worse than useless. It was such "ethical considerations" for a witch's soul that led various early christian sects to think that they were helping(themselves and the supposed witch) by killing her in one of the worst and most painful manners.

@Rhaedas --

And all Wynn is saying is that her mind is closed on this topic and if you disagree with her then your morals are rotting.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Or they died faster because they had a better understanding of their attachment to this world, and a better understanding that they can't take with them any of those persons or things they are attached to. I think they knew better how to let go, and that made the process of dying faster and easier.

I suggest reading this: Getting the message.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

A sensitive person would understand the cause and the cessation of suffering.

8. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

I doubt that their dying was easier. But it's painting a nice rose color to make it seem so, particularly in a time when people around you were dying frequently. Control the populace.

Yeah, I get that you see any act killing, even if it's to help the terminal person, even if they ask for it. I guess that eases the burden on the observer, after all, they aren't the one in physical pain.

9. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Sometimes the cause of the suffering is living. What would you do then?

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

If that's the only way you are able to value life, i won't try to convince you otherwise.
    The last time i went in for surgery, i had the student anaesthesiologist give me the needle, and it hurt like hell. From there on, peace 'n' cake. At that point, i didn't care if this was the last surgery because it's successful, or because i don't wake up - was okay with either outcome.

They were very good dogs - and besides, if Disney says so, then all dogs go to heaven.
    My mother was a very good person. I am only a reasonably good one.
    If somebody isn't good enough for heaven because of how they lived, they won't make up the deficit with their manner of dying - unless it's by saving a dozen orphans from a fire, for which terminal cancer patients rarely have the opportunity or physical stamina.
    Or maybe another three months of suffering would cleanse me sufficiently, so i better hope the god doesn't take me a week early, in spite of my best efforts to hang on, but then, i'm not told how long i'm supposed to hang on or whether i'm expected to let go...... Fraught.
    It's just as well i believe in neither heaven nor in a god who takes his entry fees in the currency of pain.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

How?
    Philosophically, i suppose that's true. Clinically, though, we usually look for a more proximal cause, or chain of causation, any link of which we may be able to address, or even redress.
    If we can't, death is a reasonable option.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have been under total anesthesia several times. Each time I lost consciousness so fast that I had no chance to "experience" it. Each time when I woke up I had no memory of any pain or suffering. If the same drug were used for euthanasia I would be quite sanguine about it, and I would request it in my living will... which of course will carry virtually no authority in the religion-infested United States, where even straightforward DNR orders are routinely ignored.
    A lot of people--especially in America--believe in imaginary supernatural creatures and forces, and they cede to them the power to make life-and-death decisions. They believe that by interfering with their "destiny" they will piss off those creatures and forces, who will then peevishly rain down woe and misfortune on them--for all eternity.

Hell, the Jews believe that God is still punishing them for things their ancestors did 3,000 years ago. So you can imagine what they think will happen to them if they commit a sin in this generation!
    Two reasons
    • 1. For us rational people, we understand that (most) non-human animals don't have the ability to make or carry out these decisions. Since we've accepted (or usurped, depending on your point of view) the role of caring for them (after all we feed them, protect them from cougars and take them in for dental care), we believe that includes making end-of-life decisions. As I noted earlier, companion animals will generally suffer a much more prolonged, unpleasant death than wild animals, specifically because we keep away the cougars who always eat the sick ones first.
    • 2. For the irrational religionists, at least the Abrahamists who dominate Western society, they do not believe that non-human animals have souls. They are nothing more than cute little artifacts of God's making, so what happens to them is almost entirely unimportant in a moral sense. Therefore a dog won't suffer the same fate as a human who chooses to cheat God and avoid end-of-life pain and indignity by taking a pill or filling his garage with carbon monoxide.
    They also believed that the world was flat, that it was wrong for people with different colored skin to mate, that it was okay to beat children, that resources were unlimited, that light traveled instantaneously, etc. The whole point of the last 500 years, since the scientific method began to be developed, was that we learned that their way of attempting to figure out how the universe works was highly flawed and led to many tragic errors. For the purposes of this discussion, the essence of the scientific method is the Rule of Laplace: the principle that if an extraordinary assertion has no supporting evidence (observational or logical), then it is not worthy of respect--no matter how many people believe it.
    You forgot to end that sentence with the vitally important word "yet."
    A reasonable point of view, if you recall the Rule of Laplace. Of course that body includes a mind, which is the reason we're able to sit here and discuss this subject.
    I already listed my conditions. The real problem is getting them respected. In America that is very difficult.
    Unless you're one of those "Polar Bear Club" people who have practiced swimming in freezing water and conditioned their bodies, minds and nervous systems to cope with it, the average person is virtually immobilized with shock after plunging into icy water, and can't put up much of a struggle, if any. The shock might halt their breathing, in some cases render them unconscious, or actually kill a few of them. In any case they'll go under and lose consciousness from lack of oxygen within a minute or so, then drown. This is not nearly long enough for the frigid temperature to render them numb, so my educated guess is that the physical suffering will far outweigh the psychological.

In other words, if you fall through a hole in the ice you'll be screaming in pain rather than fear.
    Or as Will Rogers said, "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    Isn't it interesting that the various monotheistic cults of Abraham that dominate Mesopotamian civilization and its offshoots feature an angry, cruel, spiteful deity. Even after he took that anger management class and sent down The First Hippie to preach love and peace, he clearly has not reformed very successfully. In general, the gods of the Eastern religions are not quite such big assholes.

If the "God" that so many Americans regard as their "father" were seen walking down the main street of any of our big cities, he'd be hauled off and prosecuted for child abuse.

His refusal to grant us the peaceful deaths that we routinely bestow on our beloved pets is evidence enough of his unforgivable meanness.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Did you even read this -

It is not clear how freely being placed under anaesthesia could be meaningfully compared to willingly taking in a substance for which one knows or has reason to believe is lethal (or undergo a course of action that will likely end with fatal injury).

When people freely undergo anaesthesia, they do so with the intention that they will most likely wake up from the anaesthesia.

This is categorically not the case when a person freely chooses to take in a lethal substance (or undergo a course of action that will likely end with fatal injury).
    A person chooses to take in a lethal substance (or undergo a course of action that will likely end with fatal injury) with the explicit intention to end their life.
    This is nothing like freely choosing to undergo anaesthesia.

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

It is obvious that you have never been put under anesthesia yourself or you would not say such things. Lucky you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here, whenever one is anesthetized they are first informed that there is a chance that they will die from the procedure and they must affirm to the medical professional that tells them this that they fully understand the risk they are taking. Each time I have had surgery I have gone through this process, been told this and agreed to take the risk.

Intention has nothing at all to do with the actual experience of being put under. A dose of phenobarbital strong enough to shut down your heart would feel no different at all from one that just put you to sleep. Like Frag said, everything goes black, when you come to there is no memory of the experience.

I am right there with Will on that desire. Dogs are wonderful.

15. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Stoniphi --

I think it's clear by now that Wynn has literally no knowledge relevant to the topic at hand and is merely trolling here.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You didn't read my post(s).

:shrug:

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

We read them; we just didn't think they were representative of our experience, relevant to our understanding of the world or useful to our decision-making.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You don't find that your intentions for an action shape your experience of said action?

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it appears that way. :shrug:

20. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@wynn --

My expectations when I take a swig of beer might color the taste of the beer, but what they will have zero effect on is the effect the alcohol in the beer has on my system.

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

An action and an experience are different: experience consists of thoughts and sensations; an action is a deliberate physical event. Either may be infinitesimally brief, or vastly protracted (depending partly on how you define an action; whether you see a complex act as single or serial).

In short, no.

An intention exists only in the mind; it has no substance or consequence in the physical world.
    It may be abandoned, prevented, aborted, altered or carried forward. Only in the last case does it become an action. Action may fail, be thwarted, partly succeed, or wholly succeed in achieving its intent.
    It's the action or series of actions in the physical realm that "shapes" the experience of carrying out an action, not the intention itself.

If my roof needs repair and i intend to climb up to do it, but change my mind, no experience results - except a mild emotional one: perhaps disappointment in self, or relief.
    If i decide to carry out that intention and begin to climb the ladder, but fall off half-way, that's an experience. Whatever bruises i may get are an unexpected part of the experience.
    If i get all the way up, that's an experience. If i proceed to fix the loose shingles, that's the intended action and the expected experience - unless i hit my thumb with the hammer - that's an unexpected part of the experience. If, once up, i have an attack of vertigo, that's an unexpected experience. If i fall off the roof, that's another unexpected experience.
    In none of those cases was the unexpected experience caused by the intention - which never changed - but by unforeseen, unintended factors.

If i intend to kill myself, proceed to do it and die, that's the intended action and expected outcome - with competence and luck, a very brief experience.
    If i intend to kill myself, proceed to do it and survive, that's an intended act followed by an unexpected experience.

And so what?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes dear.
    Your splashy typography notwithstanding, you have not proven your point. In both cases one is taking a drug that will immediately end some intense physical and/or emotional discomfort. In the one case, so a surgeon can correct a correctable malady; in the other, so the victim can escape from a malady which is not correctable, in the only possible way.

You seem to assume that extremely ill people who choose to die haven't put much thought into it. That during the three or four seconds between the instant when the decision becomes irreversible and the instant when they lose consciousness, they will have some kind of belated epiphany and sit up yelling, "Wait, wait, I've changed my mind! I'd rather suffer horribly for a few more months, guiltily watch you all cry over my suffering while your work and your living relationships suffer from neglect and distraction, and see my children's estate dissipated on costly yet futile heroic medical treatments!"

I'm curious as to why you think I, or anyone else in this position, would behave so stupidly and irresponsibly? Have you known some terminally ill or incurably depressed people who have taken this route and, in their last few moments of consciousness, told you that they regretted it?

Or are you just speaking for yourself and assuming that everyone is just like you? Frankly, with a hostile attitude like yours, I think you're the last person anyone would want at their bedside during a euthanasia, so I doubt very much that you have any firsthand experience with these people.

There was a feature article in the Washington Post weekend magazine earlier this year about this very topic. They interviewed a doctor who helps people end their suffering by giving them advice, but not actually taking any physical action. It's absurdly easy, cheap, painless, uses readily available materials, and can be halted right up until the last fraction of a second of consciousness with no ill aftereffects. And there's no real need for a doctor or anyone else to be in attendance. Again, I'm not going to explain it here to protect the website. Anyone who's genuinely interested now has enough information to track down the article.

A few of these people changed their minds and stopped, having caused themselves no harm. Most of them went through with it.
    Few people have that knowledge. I happened to run across an article in my newspaper a few weeks ago or I'd be as ignorant as Wynn. I just wouldn't be so arrogant. I wouldn't accuse him of trolling, but he certainly seems to have some intense personal issues with the subject matter that interfere with his objectivity.
    In some cases yes, in others no. If the action is going to have a timespan of a couple of seconds, the word "experience" is hardly applicable. Even if those few seconds turn out to be painful, that's barely enough time for your nervous system to register the pain at all.

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Scenario 1: You cut vegatables, and accidentally cut yourself in the finger.
    Scenario 2: You deliberately cut yourself in the finger.

Is your experience of the wound the same in both scenarios?