Ascending/descending nodes of moon

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by rcscwc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Are they always 180 degree apart? Or the angular distance can be more or less?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I believe so, but am not 100% sure........
    I cant see why that is not the case though.
    I did find this....

The ancient Greeks observed that the positions of ascending and descending nodes at which the Moon passes through the fixed plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, the ecliptic, decrease, i.e. orbit the Earth in the opposite direction to the Moon, in such a rate that the cycle of that regression amounts almost exactly 18.6 Earth's years. In other words, if the Moon, during the spring or autumn equinox, when viewed from stationary point on Earth, ascends at a certain position on the east horizon, describes the curve of its path and descends at another particular point on the west horizon, it would take 18.6 years for this trajectory to be repeated. In past centuries, developing lunar theory, many famous mathematicians and astronomers have dealt with described problem (Newton, Clairaut, D'Alembert, Euler, Laplace, Damoiseau, Plana, Poisson, Hansen, De Pontécoulant, J. Herschel, Airy, Delaunay, G.W. Hill, E.W. Brown) indicating its inherent difficulty and the theoretical and practical importance. Presented geometry accurately predicts the described cycle. Relative to Earth, Moons trail draws torus. For artistic purposes, in this video, geometry is adapted to exactly mach 18 years cycle. Its mathematical description can be red at:
    http://www.principiauniversi.com/blog...

http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/moon/moonnodes2001.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.