"As a Jew, no place but Israel is home "

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Apr 20, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

wait, if it is about israeil , they call it security achivement, order and ecaulity,
    israeil is a terrorist too!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. siledre Registered Senior Member

are you saying that all other countries have to give up what is normal for them to make you feel normal, every country has it's own identity, I've been to many other countries and I find their differences are why I like visiting them, I don't want to go somewhere and have it be exactly the same as where I live, what would be the point of traveling then. staring is rude though but quick looks at something that stands out from the norm is not, it's curiosity that makes us look at something we're not accustomed to, it's our reaction to that difference that will tell the tale of how one feels.

all I'm saying is not all reactions to others differences is bad, how can we learn if we don't investigate that which is outside of our experience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

right. Shadow1, maybe you should just leave your propaganda at the front door for once...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Why should he? This thread's existence is an outcome of what propaganda propagates.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that how you see it? Did you realise that after 18 months of living in a closed community, the author was projecting his feelings on a diverse community? Do you believe that Americans are more sensitive to kippas than he was to signs in English? Do you realise that he cheerfully consigned decades of his life to "the other"?

Ever since I made the discovery, I have wondered what caused tens of thousands of Jews to leave India for the Middle East. They didn't have the excuse of persecution or anti-Semitism, but were willing to set aside thousands of years of history for what is essentially, made up history in a foreign military state that owes its existence to dispossessing and occupying the natives. This guy is just one example but others, like Alex Stein at falsedi, or Cheski Chips here, also express the same or similar sentiments about why a foreign country is their home and where they have been born and brought up is a foreign country to them. As a community, is there any other which clings globally to such mythology?

Sometimes, it is fascinating to see how much difference it makes discussing the same topic about Jews as compared to any other group with the same practices.

Most Asians are like me, not touched by propaganda about the holocaust and thus unable to put Jews in the challenged category that is assigned them by westerners.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That's what I got out of reading an account of how the author sees it, anyway.

"Projecting?" He's explicitly describing the feelings that arose from his visit to the US. They may or may not be typical of people similar to him - which goes to your error in generalizing on this basis - but I don't see any failure on the author's part to own his sentiments, nor any attribution of sentiments onto US culture, projected or otherwise.

I don't see any basis for comparing the two in the article, nor any relevance of such a comparison. He noticed people looking at him differently, and he noticed that English-language signs made him feel out of place. He also noticed that he didn't feel this way before, or at least wasn't cognizant of it. I don't see anything remarkable about this, nor anything specific to Jewish identity.

I don't know what you think you're talking about here, but I don't see where he "consigned" any part of his life to anyone.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Would they? I've seen men wearing kippas in the US.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This thread reads to me like a thinly-veiled attack on Jewish people as being closeted and xenophobic.

Par for the course from SAM, of course.

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but lucy, there is only so much BS propaganda you can take, but the level shadow1 spews is just annoying after a while.

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Living in Asia I would agree with you so no I don't find most asians to be like you. So what is your excuse?

Anti jewish propaganda doesn't have to be hinged on the holocaust sam so its a sorry explanation on your part especially after you continuously rant and rave all over these forums about jews and israel. Funny that I have never known any Asian to give a second's thought towards either of those subjects but hey there is always Malaysia:

KUALA LUMPUR - In casual conversations about geopolitics here, it is common to hear charges that Israel controls US foreign policy or that Jews run the world (one of these more virulent indictments came from former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, who stated just before stepping down last year that "Jews rule the world by proxy").

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/FK30Ae01.html

And maybe Indonesia:

Antisemitism has not been commonplace in Indonesia at official or grassroots levels, but has surfaced occasionally in the context of anti-Zionism. In recent years antisemitic statements have appeared in the media from time to time. For example, in 1993 Professor Agha Hamid published an article entitled "The History of the Jews, Part One" in the Indonesia Times , which described the Jews as being characterized by "intense greed, unhindered abominable vices, plundering, usurpation, trickery and other allied traits". He also alleged that "the Jewish religion is not a religion at all. It is, in fact, a bloody, sadistic and obscene code devised by Zionist-Talmudic sages."

In 1994 the film Schindler's List was prohibited, allegedly because of explicit sexual scenes, as in other Southeast Asian countries, but reaction in Indonesia revealed underlying antisemitic attitudes. Furthermore, the Committee for World Muslim Solidarity claimed that the film would cause too much sympathy for the Jews and would harm the Muslim cause. The film was ultimately withdrawn when the director, Steven Spielberg, refused to allow it to be censored.

http://www.axt.org.uk/antisem/archive/archive1/indonesia/index.htm

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are you saying that Jewish people are not ethnocentric? Don't they define being Jewish as a race?

They are as ethnocentric as Brahmins or Aryans or anyone who categorises people by genetics or birth.

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Because it is!@!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you consider categorising people by genetics as an admirable trait?

17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Do you consider categorizing people by their ethnicity, religion or lack thereof as an admirable trait?

Because that is exactly what you have done in this thread. Forgot that bit in the OP already?

"Does being Jewish wire people for ethnocentrism?"

Then pretending to innocently prattle on about 'jewishness'.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You could substitute with:

Does being Brahmin wire people for caste system?

Does being neo-Nazi wire people for white supremacism?

Do Jewish people believe they are a race? Are there Jews who do not believe they are a race?

What do you think?

19. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Probably similar reasons to those that have led many other communities of Jews from all over the world to emigrate to the same place - such as the author of the Haaretz article in the OP.

Or other distributed national groups to concentrate in a homeland. This isn't a particularly rare phenomenon, nor is it limited to Jews.

"Excuse?"

Well, then, that leaves nationalism, religion, and a few other major structural forces of human political organization. The basic urge the author of the Haaretz article describes - to live in a community of people with similar identity and feel safe and "at home" - is ubiquitous amongst humans and has driven many patterns of migration and political organization throughout history.

There's a reason that human societies aren't structured as one huge mixed blob of "diversity", but instead consists of clusters of people with shared identities. And that reason has a lot to do with why the Jews want such a space for themselves, just like everyone else.

Views of the Jews and their social standing have to do with a lot more than just the Holocaust. That was the culmination of centuries of oppression - it couldn't even have occurred in the first place if Jews hadn't already been forced into a "challenged" category for many many many generations before that.

Also, the charge that Westerners derive their views on Jewish identity from "Holocaust propaganda" - which you avoid by dint of your nationality - is both stupid and offensive. Are you denying that the Holocaust occurred, and presented Jews, as a people, with substantial challenges? That the Jewish diaspora historically faced oppression in many lands - including lands outside of Europe?

Also, attempting to speak for so diverse a group of people as "Asians" is pretty ridiculous on its face.

20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

? Why the hypothetical? They did. It's described right there in the article you included in the OP.

As have I. I've seen people wearing all sorts of clothing in the US. And I've also seen them get curious/weird/uncomfortable looks for it.

Much as I'd like to endorse your characterization of the US as a totally culture-blind melting pot where any and all diverse expressions of identity do not cause so much as a pause in anyone, we all know that isn't the case. People with outward displays of minority identity attract attention - and that goes as much for Amish and Mormons as for Jews or Muslims or Sikhs.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

i.e. ethnocentrism. Why be afraid to call it what it is?

22. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I think you should ask if Islam wires muslims towards anti jewish sentiments. Note the excerpts I provided in post #70.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Apparently being of the human race wires people for antisemitism if the last 2000 years are to be believed. Is there a single spot on earth free from an anti semite? Even Jews are now antisemitic. No one is free from this plague of humanity <eerie moan>