"Art" - a One Word Oxymoron

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by RenaissanceMan, Nov 16, 2010.

1. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

All of those are great art, except perhaps the last one.

Also, you may want to check your dictionary. That word - oxymoron. I don't think it means what you think it means.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When people do not visit places that might have anything that offends them showing in it, then they will perhaps stop making this type of art. But when the news is always showing us this stuff it will never go away because the media wants to cause controversy and stir the pot if they can. If you don't like something then don't talk about it, show it or visit it yourself. You have the right not to see anything that you don't want to.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Er, is "oxymoron" a smart word for "an idiot that breathes"?

8. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

That would mean, that there are one hell of a lot of oxymorons, walking around these days.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

I think it's all about being able/comfortable understanding abstracts that make some sense.

For example, I can "see" what's meant in DuChamp's "Nude Descending Staircase No. 2" and in van Gogh's "The Scream", but Jason Pollack's stuff is merely okay (but don't ask me to figure out how it means what it's supposed to mean), and it leaves me scratching my head because people pay big bucks for it.

Speaking of intolerance and insult, I see Serrano's Piss Christ as intolerance and insult disguised as art. And yet, if Serrano photographed a koran in a jar of urine, some wacko Muslims may have him killed, so it was far safer to insult the nice, peaceful Christians.

Ultimately, I see art as competitive. Turning thumbs down on some art doesn't define "good" art. So, throw examples of "good" art into the public arena, and let people decide on their own without negative labeling. And, hey, if people don't choose your art, then the people have spoken.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pinching Elephantine Loaves, and Other Notes

According to Serrano himself, Piss Christ is a found object; that is, he found this jar of urine with a crucifix in it, and took a photograph.

Combining that with the perspective you've offered, we end up with a result that suggets documenting moments, objects, or circumstances that move the artist emotionally is a form of "intolerance and insult disguised as art".

Piss Christ is actually a fascinating case for study. Certainly, there are provocative artists out there, and Serrano has certainly attempted deliberate statements through art. But in reality, Piss Christ is actually an example of documentarian art.

The proposition arises, then, that documentarian art should be reserved against the possibility that someone might miss the point and be offended.

• • •​

Alternately, we might consider Chris Olifi's The Holy Virgin Mary, an infamous painting that features elephant dung among its various media.

Many people were outraged that someone would put elephant dung on a picture of the Virgin Mother. And why should they not be?

Perhaps it's simply a question of what that elephant dung signifies. The objectors most likely viewed it as shit, as in, "How dare you put shit on the Virgin Mary!"

Yet that is a purely cultural statement. After all, one might consider Aldous Huxley's 1926 title, Jesting Pilate, in which, during his travels in India, an elderly woman in a dilapitated village blesses Huxley and his companions profusely simply because one of the elephants they were traveling on stopped to drop its load, which amounted to perhaps a week's cooking fuel.

The objection is all in how people view elephant dung. I don't know, maybe some people object to a nonwhite Mary like they do a nonwhite Jesus, but people really seemed focused on the elephant dung.

11. RenaissanceMan RenaissanceMan Registered Senior Member

You mean "who breathes"?

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

13. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Oh, the irony kills me. Check out the def. of the handle of the person who posted this thread, gauged against the content of this thread and the other threads they have posted.

Renaissance man n.
    A man who has broad intellectual interests and is accomplished in areas of both the arts and the sciences.

Perhaps the world's first moronic genius? oops, is that an oxymoron?

One has to wonder why a person would come to an intellectual forum of discussion, and start putting people on ignore after less than 20 posts, and has to put them on notice about it? Seems juvenile at best.

I suppose this doesn't qualify as art either in your opinion?

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That website looks a lot like those exhibits of "Degenerate Art" that the Nazis used to hold while they were gearing up for the whole military-aggression and industrial-genocide thing.

15. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Sweet friggin' Christ on the Hill !!!!!

59.6 million goddam dollars for this thing ??!?!?!?!

It would make a cool pattern for a shower curtain, though.

16. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

It looks like something my kid would do in 3rd grade art class..

I'd stick it to the fridge door for a week, then toss it in the shitcan.

17. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

And to think. . . I gave up art school for pol. sci. What the hell was I thinking?

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

We live in a world surrounded by "art" and so we just can't appreciate it anymore. 1000 years ago, to see a painting we a real treat.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've always thought of art as challenging your assumptions about reality and beauty.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I suggest you get your kid to do one and sell it for 60 million dollars, if you think he/she is capable of it.

That would make a lot more sense than throwing it away, don't you think?

21. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

James..I'd sell the kid for 60 mil., if anyone made the offer..

Free paintings for life, for the buyer....I'm not too old to father another kid, and would have plenty of money to raise it with.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Are you saying nobody would offer your kid $60 million for one of his/her paintings? If not, why not? If they're just as good as the one above...

I don't understand. Please explain.

23. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I'm saying if someone offered me 60 mil, they can have the kid..

Hopefully he could paint them a masterpiece worthy of their investment, during his lifetime... I would just have another kid...lol

As far as a painting as "good" as the one above..It's allure is beyond me.