Are you for or against spanking kids ?.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mike47, Aug 15, 2009.

1. John99 Banned Banned

btw, i am not saying that i am in favor of discilinarian upbringing at all. personally i was allowed a lot of freedom and i think it was too much sometimes.

now i would never wnat to hit a child but there are times where i can see it happening, only when the kid puts himself or others in danger.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

i am talking extreme stuff like lighting fires, playing with dead animals and beating up siblings etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

playing with dead animals is wrong?
    My kids (whom I don't assault) don't hit each other.
    My brother (a dedicated corporal punishment believer) does have kids who beat on each other, mostly with his permission. "He hit me!" "Well, hit him back"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

playing with dead animals is wrong, look at jeffrey dahmer.

but seriously, it depends on the kids and how their personalitites are. some kids are too sensitive and they may end up getting picked on. at the other extreme you dont want them to turn into bullies either. its a tough call without knowing the individual.

8. BlindNsect Registered Member

I believe grounding and timeouts are almost as useless as spanking as far as conditioning, but less negative effects from them.

And yes I believe most parents start with assault bc it is quick, easy, and from the parents perspective, effective.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

he tortured and killed animals. My kids bring in dead animals all the time

10. BlindNsect Registered Member

Well a large percentage were physically abused. The majority were spanked as children.

There is also racial elements. African Americans are much more physical in the way they discipline their kids, and they are disproportionately represented in prisons.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

You've never taken the door off a teenagers room. It worked quite well!

12. John99 Banned Banned

he sure did. but i just used it to make a point.

well i dont know where you are getting your data from. more importantly weather or not people in prison would tell the truth anyway. think about it, at what point does a criminal become honest? just because they are talking to a psychologist? SURE.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but these things are difficult to gauge. sometimes there is no real reason for people turning out badly.

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What are you talking about? I have never hit a child (except for my dumbass brother, jokingly, but he's not really a child) nor do I encourage other people to do so. All I said was that parents should have control over their kids, they are free to use whatever method works best for their child as long as their kid isn't at risk of being seriously hurt, or dying from it, then I have no problem with it. I'm not a parent yet, but from what I've observed parents always seem so pleased with themselves and proud of their kids when someone comments on how well behaved and well mannered their child is. Few parents are proud when I tell them their kid is rude, disruptive, and disrespectful.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Why? That's gross.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have cicada husks, sea shells, a turtle shell, a mouse skull, a shark in a bottle, etc. We have dead animals in our house. If my husband catches a truly huge fish, we will have another one hanging on the wall.

We even have rituals surrounding their bones. My kids fight over the wishbone when we eat poultry.

16. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

I still get smacked at the age of 16. Last night I told my dad he was a 'nasty little man' and he slapped me so hard that I fell off my chair and bruised my hip bone on the floor.
    Did it teach me to be deferential towards my father? No. It just worsened relations between the two of us and made me feel worthless. Today at work I almost cried when one of the chefs gave me a mild ticking off and I haven't spoken to my dad since. I felt the same when I was 4 years-old.

I have never felt that smacking is an acceptable or effective form of discipline. That's because it was never intended to be either, but rather a way of venting frustration on your own personal punchbag.

17. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well,
    Discipline of your child, depends on the type of child you have, such as age,repeated behavior probelms.

Most children in there early years require a some physcial stimulas, this teachs the child by directing a impulse to the body, as the child does not use the higher brain function of reasoning or decerning to carry out a action.
    The physcial discpline also teaches the body response, which in the future may save the childs life as a adult ot teenager.
    Such discpline is mainly skin teaser stimulas.

Old children can be displined by other means such as restrictions of activies.

as they get even older the parent has to be even more inventive, you should be exspected to end dicpline practice with your dhild by about 12 years of age.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Keep something with a metal edge on you. A small lock knife or something. The next time he lays a hand on you, USE IT.

A mild slap on the arm or backside is defensible for a very small child who can't be reasoned with. For a 16 year old standing up for herself, that's just abuse.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wtf? Your dad sounds like a real asshole!

Why did you call him 'a nasty little man' ?

20. mike47 Banned Banned

So why do you provoke your father to smack you ?.
    You are 16 and obviously you know what is right and waht is wrong .
    Do you not feel that most parents will be proud to see their kids behave nicely ?. Do you think it is a joke to make your father angry ?. Do you enjoy seeing your father upset ?.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Do you think there is any excuse for smacking her like that ? :bugeye:

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The prisons are not full of people who were not spanked as children - quite the opposite.

You seem to be assuming a real world correlation of spanking with concern, and failing to spank with neglect. In the real world, neglected children with uncaring parents or adult monitors are usually spanked frequently. It's the shortcut way to obtain obedience, and the common reaction to the consequences of neglect.

23. mike47 Banned Banned

You mean smacking HIM like that ?.
    Is it fun that some 16 years old make his father so upset ?.