Are we living in the least violent times in history?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by litewave, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Are you seriously suggesting that this causes as much harm to individual humans or to human society as the American Civil War, the murder rate in the 1500s, or the 60% probability of being killed by another human being in the Stone Age??? That's an "extraordinary claim" if I've ever heard one!
    Another of your disingenuous arguments, a rhetorical tactic which is beneath a person of your education and articulateness. Our overeating doesn't make a dent in our massive food surplus. We've tried shipping that food to the starving people in the Third World and their despotic leaders intercept it and sell it to buy weapons and luxury cars. If you want to criticize us criticize us for something real, like the USA and the USSR using the Third World nations as pawns during the Cold War and installing some (but not all) of those despotic leaders. Or the First World's colonial era when our ancestors disrupted the natural social evolution of the Third World countries and dragged them kicking and screaming into a level of civilization that their societies were hopelessly unable to cope with. Or the introduction of antibiotics and vaccines to staunch the infant mortality rates that made our people literally cry, but caused their populations to explode so they couldn't feed themselves. We Westerners are perfectly capable of self-flagellation, but please get your history right and don't nag us for something we didn't do.
    You don't really want to get me started on the armies of Abraham, who started this in the 16th century by destroying both entire civilizations in the Americas before coffee was even grown here? You, our self-appointed chief apologist for Abrahamic religion? Especially since "violence" has been redefined here to include not only the actual military conquest itself but the importation of European diseases to which the natives had no immunity?

Fair is fair.

To get back to the original topic of "violence" as defined in more conventional terms, the rate of killing has dropped by two orders of magnitude.

In the "peaceful, idyllic" era of hunter-gatherers, every human being stood a 60% chance of being killed by another human. Today the largest contingent of human killers of other humans seems to be drunk drivers. (Statistics are spotty but it's uncontroversial to say they kill at least twice as many people worldwide as purposeful killers like soldiers and terrorists.) In America, where drunk driving is our national pastime, the probability that your death will be caused by one of them is less than one percent.
    Okay, here's a cut-and-paste dump of just the first page of results from my Google search on "Roman Empire" "Life Expectancy." I notice that it's changed since yesterday so I can't promise that all the same numbers are there. Enjoy.
    "Fraggle Rock" was a very popular TV show. This screen name, which was never used as a term in the script, is already taken on many websites. The names of the characters are hopeless. I'd have to be GoboFraggle47. I'm sure he's not talking about me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

In other words, capitalism promotes peace. War is bad for business.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. q0101 Registered Senior Member

It depends on what kind of business you are in. War is generally bad for business, but some of the people on the board of directors at Lockheed Martin might disagree with your statement.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I have made this thread a sticky since there are so many points of discussion that can come out of it.

8. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Yes, like pre-modern life was free of stresses, bad medicine, and bad food!

The fact that some people even define such things as "violence" -- as opposed to "unavoidable aspect of life, barely worth noticing", -- is a sign just how much better our lives had become, and how little REAL violence we actually encounter.

9. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Well that should not be true. AFAIK they basically absorbed culture, especially Chinese (e.g. written language). As such they did not directly develop Asia but they rather spread a mix of Chinese and their own culture. In a way the Mongols did war for luxury (and culture). Individual tribes raided the northern Chinese borders for ages, for instance.
    Also I would say that the wars fought former wars fought in the name of religion for instance are really not necessary survival wars.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm you think Mughal culture in India is like Chinese culture?

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The consensus on the subject indicates that this is not a proper comparison. Babur was indeed a descendant of Genghis Khan on his mother's side, but he was also descended from Timur--"Tamerlane," a Turk--through his father. There is a big discontinuity between the Mongol Empire and the Mughals or Moghuls, even though Moghul is the Persian rendition of "Mongol."

The Mongols under the Khans conquered China, assimilated its culture, and spread it wherever they went. The Moghuls conquered Persia and spread its culture.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Just read this...where should it go? Violence against women....

UK: Over 500 held for sex trafficking in six-month crackdown
    Thu. July 03, 2008 02:02 am.- By Bonny Apunyu. - Send this news article
    (SomaliNet) In a six-month crackdown which led to 528 arrests, thirteen children were among 167 victims of human trafficking recovered by police, the Home Office said on Wednesday.

A report said the investigation involved 55 police forces who searched over 800 premises including residential apartments, massage parlours and nail bars and rescued 167 women forced into prostitution or servitude.

The victims were mostly from China, Southeast Asia and eastern Europe.

"We still have an insidious problem in the heart of our society," Dr Tim Brain, of the Association of Chief Police Officers told reporters. Brain added that of those arrested, 88 had been charged with offences including the trafficking of humans, brothel management and money laundering.

"We have some way to go before human trafficking investigation is core business for every single police force," Brain said.

Many of the premises investigated were in "ordinary" suburban areas, Brain said, used as fronts for brothels with neighbours largely unaware of illegal activity taking place.-Reuters

13. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Less violence "per person" multiplied by much large number of people = more violence. Nazi, were way less bloodthirsty than some folks in the past on per capita basis. Yet, nobody gets emotional about per capita numbers.

Besides, temporal violence setbacks are paid for with cheap oil. I hope you'll be dead before energy will get way more expensive. Resource wars with subsequent extermination/starvation/elemination by other means of billions is on horizon. After "sustainable" population levels will be achieved I predict restoration of some kind of feudalism or neoslavery. Cheap energy provide each of us with equivalent of 160 slaves. It's not humans that has been changed, it's their per capita energy consumption.

You shall observe a rooster around hens. When a rooster is well fed and he wants to fuck, he does all those small chicken niceties to a hen, like finding her a grain or a worm in a pile of dung, dancing around her, etc. (just like people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). But when a rooster is hungry he'll beat crap out of every hen he was so "gallant" a few hours ago (just like people again). Approximately the same happens with humans and violence. When people are more or less fed they engage in all of that hypocritical PC crap, but when things will change, beware.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  14. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

According to a show I watched last night, there are more human slaves on planet Earth today than at any other time. Estimated at 27,000,000!

That is a sad number. The world is becoming a wicked place.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You have to be careful of the slick way these newsvermin calculate their statistics. Their job is to make you scared and angry, because scared and angry people buy more news.

Out of seven billion people that's less than half a percent of the population. Go back to the "golden age" of Greece, Rome, Persia, etc. and you'll find a huge percentage of their people in slavery. A quick Google on the topic yields a consensus that more than one fourth of the population of ancient Greece was probably slaves, and it could have been more than one half!

Far more people are killed by lightning today than 3,000 years ago. Does that mean that lighting has become an epidemic and requires intrusive, draconian government laws to protect us from this scourge? No, it just means that the population of the world is about 50 times larger than it was then.

16. fantasus Registered Senior Member

It could very well be that the last decades are the relatively "leadt violent" in both history and prehistory - but it depends much of what part of the globe we look at.
    Europe, west and east, may have been one of the most violent (if not the most perhaps) in first half of 20.th century, perhaps the least so in the later decades, except for some atypical places (Yugoslavia/Albania were not part of "main" post war order).
    On the other hand I suspect the "optimists" are wrong if they think about trhis as a "regular, gradual evolution" by some "natural law". It rather happens suddenly. In a very short span of time a transition from extreme violence to the opposite in a big or small region.(examples: Europe after 1945, with few exceptions, USA(internally) post civil war, nordic region of Europe in the beginning of 18.th century). Sometimes violence return as suddenly.

17. Atopos Registered Member

Come on, disease and diets are bad, but they are not violence.

From Oxford Dictionary: Violence - noun. behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill.

Diabetes is bad, but it is not a behaviour, nor it intends to hurt.

18. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

That was an interesting video.

I enjoyed listening to it.

The speaker is a tad naive about a lot of the modern world. But he makes some sound points in there amongst the slightly skewed personal bias and naivete'. He seems blissfully unaware of quite a bit.

He does make some good points about the base nature, the savagery of the older cultures, like with the cat burning thing he mentions. But then draws comparisons to today that are greatly skewed. Go ask anyone at your local Humane society or Veterinary clinic about how the average Joe treats animals today. Watch a few episodes of 'Animal Rescue' maybe. The guy entertains some ideas in a vacuum of what he selectively chooses to not acknowledge. People participating in animal cruelty in groups is alive and well.

The scale of ancient destruction was small compared to the 19th and 20th century. He seems to not be aware of that.

But it was still an interesting thing that would spark some thought.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This is not true. Modern forensic techniques have determined that the leading cause of death for adults at the end of the Mesolithic Era was murder. In fact more people were killed by other people than by all other causes combined! Something like 60 percent. It stands to reason, of course. Without agriculture or even the transportation technology of wheels and draft animals, hunter-gatherer tribes have virtually no surplus food, so in a lean year their survival instinct causes them to fight the other tribes for what food there is.

But even as recently as the last millennium, the armies of Genghis Khan killed a full ten percent of the population that was within reach of the transportation technology of the era. That is very likely the high water mark of our ten thousand years of civilization, but even if it's not, absolutely no one that came after him has matched his body count. The U.S. Civil War is often regarded as the bloodiest war prior to the 20th century, and it only killed three percent of the population within reach, the entire U.S. WWII killed three percent of the population within reach--the entire planet--still no match for the Mongols.

Since WWII a few civil wars have taken huge tolls of their national populations--Korea, Vietnam, the Congo--but those were very localized and they still didn't come close to three percent of the populations of the participating nations.

There's good reason to feel that we're living in far less bloody times than our ancestors, all the way back to the Stone Age. You younger members have never lived during a conflict with a seven-figure body count.

20. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I'm an optimist and Freeman Dyson (appeal to authority fallacy...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) agrees that these are more peaceful times. Compare 2008 with 1914 or 1939.

Link

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  21. ScyentsIzLief Banned Banned

This is more peaceful times...if you believe what the media tells.

Back then, everyone was independent so if you wanted to take over them, you had to fight them. Now that everyone is owned by the same people, there is no more need to fight...

So in a sense, yes, it is more peaceful. But only peaceful if you go along with it.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't understand what you mean by "owned." A greater percentage of the human race live under democratic, representative governments than at any time in history. Slavery exists only in the darkest corners of society. My country doesn't even have military conscription and most Americans get grumpy if they're simply called up to serve on a criminal jury.

There are some huge pockets of poverty and despotism but they're inexorably shrinking. On the average, people have more economic and personal freedom than ever. The Soviet Bloc collapsed, people in China have TV sets, and women are elected to the Pakistani government.

In America and Europe adults complain about having to work at all and their children have emigrated from the real world completely and live in World of Warcraft.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And yet, in spite of that, there is more personal, territorial and international conflicts than ever before in history. It seems, from the Internet, from news media, and even here at sciforums, that everyone hates something about everyone else and wants to change everyone, too. Yet you seem to gloss right on over that in your unbounded optimism.

Honestly, Fraggle, I just can't see, can't grasp, how you can be so optimistic in the face of so much international, national and personal strife??? I mean, do you wake up every morning and take two "optimism pills"? Where can I buy some of those pills ...Wal-Mart?

Baron Max