Are there benefits to concentration?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by geordief, Dec 18, 2021.

1. geordief Valued Senior Member

Obviously there are but are there the same kinds of benefits that are touted as raising from activities such as "mindfulness"

It crossed my my as ,recovering from a sprained ankle my few physical activities entail keeping an eagle eye on where I place my left leg when moving along.

Should I expect some kind of psychological benefit from this if I am fortunate enough to avoid a painful mishap and roll my ankle in its still sensitive condition?

(Complete rest is ,I think not advised after a few days nor to be welcomed or tolerated)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

You have to get moving at some point.You don't wait for it to feel completely normal to start on with things surely.

Even in the first days you have to move a little (going to bed,going to the toilet having meals etc)

I noticed that my calf muscle also got very tight.Thank god I had no cramps as that would have been rotten and held up recovery no
    doubt.

Edit: not sure there is actually any therapeutic value to icing in that it doesn't speed up recovery,I have been hearing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Icing reduces swelling and inflammation, both of which reduce blood flow, which retards healing.

geordief likes this.
  8. geordief Valued Senior Member

Does the same apply to the compression ankle sock that I have been wearing all along?

I knew that nurofen etc was advised against in the first 3 days or so.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You want to do them in moderation.
    Heat for a short while, ice for a short while.
    Compression for a while but take it off every night.

I don't want to get too detailed - just enough to convince you to look into it proper-like.

10. geordief Valued Senior Member

I do take it off at night.

To tell you something a bit weird,our neighbour also did her ankle in last week and I was due to drive her in to the doctor's the following morning.

That morning, an hour or two before she had to go in the same thing happened to me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I drove her in but had to hide my injury because I didn't want the attention!!

Actually it only got properly bad after I got home and today was the first day I was able to walk the dog(I couldn't avoid doing the shopping,and trying to keep sane)

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I don't know how your neighbor would believe you after that. "I'm sorry, I can't drive you to the doctor for your sprained ankle but, you see, ah, I have to go to the doctor for my sprained ankle. eh Heh."

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not really. Most of swelling comes in the form of plasma outside of cells and blood vessels

Said swelling constricts the already limited bore of the capillaries lowering their ability to circulate whole blood (much thicker than plasma)

Alternating immersion of the part, or the application of, cold / warm cloth, water can cause dilation / compression of capillaries helping kick start blood flow to the region

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not really. Most of swelling comes in the form of plasma outside of cells and blood vessels

Said swelling constricts the already limited bore of the capillaries lowering their ability to circulate whole blood (much thicker than plasma

Alternating immersion of the part, or the application of, cold / warm soaking wet cloth, water can cause dilation / compression of capillaries helping kick start blood flow to the region

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Isn't that what I said?

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

YES a few posts later
    Sorry I missed

Lots going on at the moment

Trying to juggle multiple problems with 3 girls in Bali as well as house problems here

Better perhaps stay out Sciforums for a while

See what next week brings

Again sorry

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

17. river

To your last statement , Agreed . Stiffness in one direction , is caused by one movement being predominate over another . Therefore the muscles are out of sync . , because of strength. One side is stronger than the other , imblance .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  18. river

Are there benefits to concentration of course . Its obvious .

There are problems with concentration as well . Disconnection from the world around you .