Are people inherently evil?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by ??!!?!?_particlename, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im really going to disapoint you here star

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i agree
    *shocked silance*

seriously you are right

there are some twisted people

i don't know why they are like they are

they just are

for some reason they don't have the same moral code that others have

maybe they are insane, maybe not

i don't know

i don't think killing them is the answer but thats a different topic

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

No, they don't. It's case to learn your child(ren) they cannot always have what they want and it is very good to bring that to their minds. I didn't have trouble with my son when he was at that age, between 2 - 8 years old. Simply learn them they don't get what they want, it is not always possible. If children demand candy and other stuff in the store and really make an issue out f it, it says more about the raising from the children and the behaviour of parents in this. Sorry, I am dead tired and am not really capable of giving a more specific answer now. I'll be back...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ender Registered Senior Member

I can't post now, but hold that thought!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Maria Registered Member

I don't believe anybody is evil. When all we know for sure is that 'we' as in our own person 'feels' then I think wanting the best for oneself is perfectly understandable and healthy. The kid in the shop who wants candy doesn't know that it will upset his parent he just knows it as the only way he has a chance of getting candy.
    Of course I don't think a person who hates themselves however is evil it is more then likely a psychological problem

8. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Thanks Adam. I to, know a few people like that. I guess some just dont understand that.
    Asguard - Omigod!! We finally agreed on something

Take care

Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  9. Ender Registered Senior Member

That isn't really important. Almost every child I have ever seen has had fits or tried to get something after thier parents said no. If a child has a fit in a store it doesn't mean that the parent is a bad parent.

The point that I was making was that when a parent says no, and yet the child still wants something it is direct evidence for natural self interest, this then makes people want something and will do anything to get it (with in reason). They have thier own self interest with disregard for other people.

The bottem line is that everything people do is done with the basic instinct of "what will this do for me?"

If people were naturaly good, they would say "how will this benifit others?"

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There you are right yes. Most people actually keep this attitude and hold on to it till extremities to just do anything what's in their capability to reach whatever they want, just for the sake of wanting it, because there's a certain something that is in it for them. Children try this out in their early years and see how far they can go with it. It's case then, to teach them they can not always get what they want. Which brings me to your second point: It is case to teach your child(ren) how they can be a benefit to others. There's more to life than only their own life. And it is not good to only live on behalf of your self centred egotistic self. To many people live like this nowadays and it brings a lot of hurt to other humans feelings.

Because of the egoistic behaviour and so many people choosing for themselves and their refusing to do something for others, the general behaviour of people is getting worse. More people are on the Earth than ever before. People seem to blind themselves to much and keep on telling themselves, everybody has to take care of themselves. So, ignore feelings of compassion and care for others and teach the children to first take care of themselves. Yes, they all get a period in which they become aware of the fact that toys, for instance, belong to them, that it is theirs, as in posession. Then you learn the child that he/she can play with the toys together with other children, without losing the toys, so to say.

Sometimes parents try to teach their children "rules" in the wrong way, like in this example:

My son went to a new school when he was 4 years old. In his class there was another boy who used to bite, scratch and kick the other children, all the time. Teachers of the school tried to talk with this boy over and over. At a certain moment the teacher of my son's class had to change the shirt of the boy because of a little accident, I think it was. Then she found out, the boy had scars and red marks all over his back. Mind you, this boy was only 4 years old! The teacher went to the parents of this boy and heard from the mother that the boy was whipped by his father whenever he did not do as his father pleased. So, question is this: Was this little boy guilty of "evil" behaviour or was he just teached wrong and did he express his frustrations, about the behaviour of his father, on the other children purely out of evil?

I don't know what has become of this boy, because we moved on to another city after the Summer holidays, I guess he can be an angry young man by now, because of what happened to him. I think also that boy's/girls like him can become "evil". As other boy's/girls can, not as easily though.

I am sorry, I think I wandered off to much from your original post. I will do better the next time...

11. Ender Registered Senior Member

That's exactly my point, it is not good to only live on behalf of yourself. However, People do.

Again the self centerdness (???) of people is the root of all evil; everyone just wants to better themselves, and be sure that they have other people with thier genes.

12. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

stRgrL, I am a twin. Everyone shares different experiences. Hard to believe? It's not true, no one is born to do *just* evil. Evil is not a part of nature.

My brother and I are totally different, I know more sets of twins that are totally different (one quiet, the other loud). They do not share the same experiences.

No possible way, there are too many probabilities involved to have "almost identical lives" - no one shares the same experiences. Even having one different and unique experience can change the course of one's entire life.

Dear, apply logic and common sense here.

Explain her experiences to me. You call her evil, but she wasn't born an evil person, she has reasons to be evil. Evil is also very subjective and relative.

No, you just refuse to open your mind, that's all there is to it. Someone that is insane, you may call them "evil"?

Sure there, you just have a twisted definition of evil.

What is evil to you? Elaborate and I can point out how you think.

13. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

stRgrL, you believe evil to be apart of nature? Evil was invented by humans, it was never part of nature. Look at the mantis killing her own lover, you call it evil? That is nature. Your perspective is twisted, just like Adam's is.

That's also a very bad analogy. Once a baby is born, it starts learning about the world, if it is taught wrongly through its experiences, it'll influence the baby towards evil. What is this "deforming on the interior"? It's in the interior and if someone is deformed in the interior, they are insane. Insane people don't know the difference between right and wrong, could you possibly call them evil?

You are just labeling others with very little current understanding of why they behave that way. I suggest you study some Neuro Linguistic Programming, it structures the human mind.

Take care

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i would love to comment but i can't

i will just say that adams right and there are some VERY twisted people in this world

we should acept this as FACT

dosn't mean there is nothing we can do about it

hopfully science will deveope a way to cure this but for the moment we must be satisfide with locking them up

15. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

But are they born to be specifically that, twisted? Or was it their experiences that lead to motivations/reasons/habits to become "evil"?

There is no such thing as good and evil in nature. Nature is nature.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

as i said i can't explain further but there is NOTHING that would make that ok, nothing that could MAKE someone do that

17. Ender Registered Senior Member

Well Yes! The mantus had killed her lover so that she could benifit, and she KILLED.

Last time I checked killing was evil.

Evil was notminvented by humans, it is in all of nature, like like the mantis. Being evil is a part of nature. It's Human nature to be evil.

18. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

LOL, OMG, think about it, you are the one calling nature evil. I don't think it is evil. So who's right? Nature is nature, just because something kills doesn't mean it is evil, you're only describing it to be.

Humans invented the concept of "evil" More like religions did.

19. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Dude, you may only be young, but you're still a fuggin psycho. It's narrow-minded crap like that which spawned and drove the Inquisition, the witch-hunts, and more.

20. Ender Registered Senior Member

I never said nature was evil, I said the nature of man and almost every animals is evil. When I use "nature" it means that the root of human behavior is evil.

Humans may have named it, but it was always there!

21. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

ROFL!! LMAO!!!

Nah, I'm not pyscho, you can't call someone's instinct to be "evil" I know nature is ugly and so on, but it is that - nature.

The concept of God and religions brought about evil this and evil that. You do know that right?

Look at religions, some actually thought sex was a form of evil since it was seductive. So sex is evil then just because we humans say so?! hahaha, and yes, I do believe killing is evil, but depends on the situation.

22. Ender Registered Senior Member

~The_Chosen~

Are you saying that befor religons were invented, that killing someone was not evil?

What religons did was to say well, sex is evil, killing is evil, they could pick out what was evil by thier own instincts and experiences. They would name what was evil, but befor it was still evil, just not proclaimed evil. Evil had existed in the animal instinct befor religon was present. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

You have actually been to school, right? Rape, murder, incest, child abuse, and more were all around long before religion. You do know that right?

Unfortunately, some holy texts actively encourage such behaviour by showing that the central figure of that religion itself indulges in such things.